Fortress size. Is it some kind of bug or other error?

Peregrine I

I only recently started playing this game and am really loving the overall art design except for one. The fortress. I just don't understand why the artist/s have decided to make the strongest defense structure in the game to be so short. They are literally shorter than your walls. It makes no sense  I don't have any complaints about the area the fortress covers or its hit points, garrison and any other features. But for city builders and defense-based players who like to build walled cities defended by towers and fortresses, the fortresses are just visually unappealing. I think fortresses need to be designed much taller to give them a formidable and imposing aesthetic. And definitely taller than the walls.

1615587289_Screenshot0AD-AthenianFortress1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Funny thing is, they used to be more impressive until other buildings were made larger over time. lol I'm talking over the course of years. The original sets of buildings were quite small back in the day and the fortresses looked more impressive then. 

But now, I don't see a need to make Fortresses look more impressive since they are constantly being nerfed by the dev team. They are essentially just keeps or "strongpoints" now. 

So, recently, I made a post about how fortresses in 0 AD are shorter than the walls which I found to be unappealing for the strongest defense structure in the game. At first, I thought it was the artistic choice of the developers but yesterday, while playing an acropolis map, I discovered something. The fortresses are actually designed much taller with a robust base but it doesn't appear when the building is placed on the terrain. It seems the base just "hides" underneath the ground and only the top part which is shorter than walls appear for construction.

Is this a bug? Can anyone in the Art development team address this, please?

0 AD Fortress #1.gif

17 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Well, it's so that the fortress doesn't look ridiculous on a slope.

Nobody is trying to build a fortress on a slope. And that's not the concern of this post. Its about half the building that seems to hide underneath when placed on terrain. That is what looks ridiculous. If the artists have designed the fortresses with a base, shouldn't that entire structure appear for a valid construction?

1 minute ago, Peregrine I said:

Nobody is trying to build a fortress on a slope. And that's not the concern of this post. Its about half the building that seems to hide underneath when placed on terrain. That is what looks ridiculous. If the artists have designed the fortresses with a base, shouldn't that entire structure appear for a valid construction?

I am saying the base you see under the terrain grid was put there specifically for cases when the building is placed on a slope, so that there is not a gap at the bottom edges. It's not actually a part of the above ground structure. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I am saying the base you see under the terrain grid was put there specifically for cases when the building is placed on a slope, so that there is not a gap at the bottom edges. It's not actually a part of the above ground structure. 

So, it seems its the developers' choice to make fortresses shorter than the walls which already looks ridiculous. I wish they were designed taller in size. Thanks for the response.

In previous alphas the models don't have those bases, so on uneven terrain sometimes the building seems to be floating, sometimes half the building gets buried underground. So the developers decided to add extra base for each model to avoid this. It's not like the artists created tall fortresses and the developers decided to bury half their height.

As to why they are shorter than wall, I believe it's for historical purposes. Ancient fortresses were not medieval castles like in Age of Empires II, they are just oversized towers/standalone gatehouses here. Artists and historians here please CMIIW.

• 6 months later...