balancing defensive structures test mod

Nescio

Forum discussions are nice and all, and there is certainly no shortage of good ideas, however, what matters is how things work out in game. Because using the development version and applying patches is challenging for many, I've decided to bundle several related patches proposed for A25 as a mod for A24. Their purpose is to address the frequent complaint that defensive structures are too effective in A24 and therefore attacking is too difficult. The eight patches included here are:

I sincerely believe each of them is an improvement on its own and also that they work nicely in combination with each other. Nevertheless, I'm biased by my own ideas and different people may have different opinions, of course. Hence this mod, to broaden the audience and have more people play and test. Feedback is appreciated, especially from people who've played at least several games with it.

Anyway, here it is:

balancing_defensive_structures.zip

I've also uploaded it to mod.io to make it available via the in-game mod downloader, but I'm not sure it's working (@Itms?): https://0ad.mod.io/balancing-defensive-structures

• Like 5

I tested it and it is definitely a nerf for defensive buildings. For me it feels a lot more similar to a23. I am actually not sure if i like it more or less, but at least it makes much more sense that every arrow inflicts the same amount of damage now.

The territory increase seems fine. The rams also.

I didn't notice a big difference from the archer reload time.

No opinion on the theater & the CC techs.

That's quick!

Any selection is essentially arbitrary. I could have included more patches, or fewer. Of the selection I made, I believe the first patch (D2845) is the most significant

10 minutes ago, maroder said:

I didn't notice a big difference from the archer reload time.

The archer change (D3668) shouldn't make a difference; their damage per second stays the same; I included it only because in my mind it's rather similar to the structure attack patch (D3672); an arrow is an arrow.

28 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Of the selection I made, I believe the first patch (D2845) is the most significant

Yes could easily be, but playing against AI it didn't matter much to me.

30 minutes ago, Nescio said:

The archer change (D3668) shouldn't make a difference;

In that case it makes sense that it doesn't feel different.

Btw @BoredRusher this is your chance to give some feedback before something gets into the game

• Like 1