0AD Memes, jokes

• 2 weeks later...

Ancient_civ_personality_chart.jpg.7700031906bd2be5864fd2bafd9580c2.jpg

Here are my guesses for the definitions of the key words.

Jock: Population given military training and culture from an early age, prioritization of military by administration, culture values strength and patriarchy.

Nerd: Science, literature, research, mythology development, investing heavily in activities or topics of special interest.

Goth: Dark and morbid aesthetic, investment in elaborate tombs, authentic, artistic, alternative culture.

Prep: Firmly class-based society with preferential treatment for those with high socioeconomic status, culture is focused on class, family wealth, and popularity, sometimes narcissistic.

In my opinion, this makes sense for Egypt and Sparta, but I don't know enough about the other civilizations to say whether these definitions or points on the axes are accurate.

Is it true that the Assyrians were more Goth than the Egyptians? And, was Athens more Nerd than the Egyptians?

Edited by Norse_Harold

1 hour ago, Norse_Harold said:

Prep: Firmly class-based society with preferential treatment for those with high socioeconomic status, culture is focused on class, family wealth, and popularity, sometimes narcissistic.

The Romans in the era of the republic had along with their allies high birth rates giving them advantages in wars when it came to replenish large population masses, that is called replacement rate according to military experts.

In the period of the collapse of the west empire those birth rates were low and the Roman armies at that time were already foreigners who were their enemies, i.e. the Germanic tribes.

The collapse is inevitable throughout history, societies in all the great empires become weak men, due to the good life of the golden age, this happened with the Persians and then with the Arabs in Spain.

The problem with narcissism and a fragile culture is that the leaders are part of that culture and are the reflection of the culture, they make bad decisions and are easy to manipulate.

Let's not expect a decaying culture to have leaders like Caesar instead of Honorius.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

replacement rate

I did not find this term in English as such.

But I did find the mobilization thing 

Roman Republic

The Roman Republic was able to mobilize at various times between 6% (81–83 BCE) to as much as 10% (210s BCE) of the total Roman population, in emergencies and for short periods of time.[2] This included poorly-trained militia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobilization

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...