Wonders seem unfocused and unnecessary

Bribing is a good feature, but I would really appreciate it if you allow the production of enemy units. Sometimes a Persian player would really need a catapult and a Macedonian player really needs an elephant while Romans really want archers. 

This is consistent with the historical fact to recruiting mercenaries. 

What do you guys think?

6 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

Hmm i understand that tech a little different (never used it though). I think it is across all units but the historical explanation is intel came from traders. Not sure though.

No, bribing only affects Traders, currently.

template_unit_support_trader.xml:

<VisibleClasses datatype="tokens">Trader Bribable</VisibleClasses>

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Honestly, Bribing units should be extended to all Support units, not just Traders. Bribing only traders seemed useless or not cost effective to me. Very limiting. There's better ways of limiting bribes, for instance maybe only 3 bribes can be active at any time.

You gotta do better than that. Go into details of why you think this is true? 

simple I play with the Ai  so , The first thing that artificial intelligence seeks to be is to reach the highest phases, if ai reachs the fourth phase and if he has a better handicap than mine, he reaches the fourth phase earlier than me.

So then the game becomes a race to destroy the wonder that artificial intelligence has already built.

There are times that I have managed to destroy or seize the wonder and win myself.

probably the same would do a human player.

For me the fun of winning the wonder mode is to go through all the phases and build the wonder at the end.

4 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Bribing is a good feature, but I would really appreciate it if you allow the production of enemy units. Sometimes a Persian player would really need a catapult and a Macedonian player really needs an elephant while Romans really want archers. 

This is consistent with the historical fact to recruiting mercenaries. 

What do you guys think?

I think it's going off topic,

One more thing though :P

3 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

No, bribing only affects Traders, currently.

I fully agree then that it needs to expand. Wouldn't mind if bribing lasts for 1 minute, but you can see everything from the selected player (except training/tech queues though).

Edited by Grapjas

1 minute ago, Palaxin said:

Honestly I am not that into the idea of recruiting enemy units. You can argue that this reduces civ diversity which is a problem right now...

I see. To increase civ diversity we can add new units that we have not though about or remove some cliched units, for example every civ has rams and cavalry skirmishers. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grapjas said:

I fully agree then that it needs to expand. Wouldn't mind if bribing lasts for 1 minute, but you can see everything from the selected player (except training/tech queues though).

Seems pretty OP to me. Bribing individual units seems just fine to me, as long as it's expanded to more classes of units. 

12 minutes ago, Palaxin said:

You mean something like über hoplites for Sparta, über elephants for Mauryans etc.? I fear that would be a bit too special. I want to make room for 2-3 choices so you can act according to your current circumstances. However I could imagine there are 5 endgame technologies and each civ can choose 2 or 3 out of them...

Yes something along those lines, maybe a little bit more tech focused. Like a big increase in formation attack for Romans or reduced cost for Persian cav.

And yes that would be quite special, but it would give room for differentiation.

But anyways i like your idea also.

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The entire point of a Wonder is that it is the pinnacle of that civ's achievement. 

Exactly! A 4th phase and special über technologies should be considered a special bonus granted by that wonder as a reward.

This does not make wonder victory irrelevant...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The entire point of Wonder mode is to race to build a wonder. lol

Yes but at the end not at the beginning of a stage.

It is a small mitigating factor. A little detail.

Yes but it is not the same, for example if you look closely that feature is AoE 3 Oh surprise there is no such mode in that game.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, maroder said:

Yes something along those lines, maybe a little bit more tech focused. Like a big increase in formation attack for Romans or reduced cost for Persian cav.

And yes that would be quite special, but it would give room for differentiation.

I like the idea of more special technologies, but not of tying them to the wonder. Make them available in city phase and give the wonder a boost (better: a few choices) that will benefit you no matter what your situation is. Finishing the wonder should mean something like 75% winning chance when before it was 50%.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Palaxin said:

I like the idea of more special technologies, but not of tying them to the wonder. Make them available in city phase and give the wonder a boost (better: a few choices) that will benefit you no matter what your situation is. Finishing the wonder should mean something like 75% winning chance when before it was 50%.

Could a "Wonder Victory" be part of the default winning strategy? Just make it take a long time to achieve victory (10 minutes? 15 minutes?). Kind of a stalemate breaker. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

2 minutes ago, Palaxin said:

Personally don't see the issue tying a unique unit/tech to a wonder even with the reason you stated. I would be much more willing to build a wonder for a special unit instead of some boring +xx% bonus :P

19 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The entire point of Wonder mode is to race to build a wonder. lol

Yes but at the end not at the beginning of a stage.

It is a small mitigating factor. A little detail.

Yes but it is not the same, for example if you look closely that feature is AoE 3 Oh surprise there is no such mode in that game.

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Could a "Wonder Victory" be part of the default winning strategy? Just make it take a long time to achieve victory (10 minutes? 15 minutes?). Kind of a stalemate breaker.

Meh imo i think it's fine the way it is, optional.

• Like 1

Hello

Simply increasing the pop is a technique without any flavor, let's change that. Delete this tech please.

Remplace by a passif when wonder is alive: +10% pick up all ressource, -10% cost metal unit mercenary and champion and a big tech cost a lof of ressource 

"insert name" : in a big area, building can't be control by ennemy team. Garnisons of barack up to 20 spot

:) 

22 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

Mon idée est de construire une merveille qui vous donne la possibilité d'entraîner des unités ennemies, avant de vous émerveiller, vous ne pouvez pas faire cela. 

good idea too