Units sound effect and language

Yekaterina

When we click on the unit of any faction it says something. I don't speak Koine Greek nor Persian, and I would like to know what my units are talking about. Please can the developers put a translation of their speech in English and their original language? I am really curious about what the 'theisti raso' mean.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

When we click on the unit of any faction it says something. I don't speak Koine Greek nor Persian, and I would like to know what my units are talking about. Please can the developers put a translation of their speech in English and their original language? I am really curious about what the 'theisti raso' mean.

At some point I wouldn't mind making a mod where the units speak English, French, etc. So, click on a Spartan Hoplite and it says, "Yes, sire!" or "Yes, Basileus!" Task them to chop wood and they say, "Lumbering!"

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

Just now, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

At some point I wouldn't mind making a mod where the units speak English

I am satisfied with units speaking their mother tongue because historically they did not speak English, in fact English was not even invented then. The classical languages do make the settings sound more authentic. All I wanted is just a translation as  I am also quite curious about those languages myself. 

Anywhere will do, perhaps at where the player messages would be or on the right hand side of the screen. Alternatively you can just post the list of Greek, pronounciation and translation in the forum like a dictionary and I will refer to the list, eventually remembering the language.

Thank you so much I found the list of translations. This really helps. 

I just want to point out that Carthaginians spoke Punic instead of Hebrew, although the two languages are somewhat close. I don't think we can piece together Punic anymore because almost all records of it have been destroyed by Romans.

7 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Thank you so much I found the list of translations. This really helps. 

I just want to point out that Carthaginians spoke Punic instead of Hebrew, although the two languages are somewhat close. I don't think we can piece together Punic anymore because almost all records of it have been destroyed by Romans.

We know. that is why we have decided to use Hebrew.

For the Carthaginians, I think we can replace Punic with Phoenician, which is close enough. They have almost the same alphabet as Carthaginian. I found a Phoenician-English dictionary: https://en.glosbe.com/en/phn. Other languages that thrived within the region were Numidian, Mauritanian, Berber and Greek. 

Some of them also spoke Latin, so we can also replace their current speech with Latin if Phoenician is too much trouble. I am no expert at ancient languages myself but I have some Classics and History teachers in my school who might offer some help. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

For the Carthaginians, I think we can replace Punic with Phoenician, which is close enough. They have almost the same alphabet as Carthaginian. I found a Phoenician-English dictionary: https://en.glosbe.com/en/phn. Other languages that thrived within the region were Numidian, Mauritanian, Berber and Greek. 

Some of them also spoke Latin, so we can also replace their current speech with Latin if Phoenician is too much trouble. I am no expert at ancient languages myself but I have some Classics and History teachers in my school who might offer some help. 

Could you get us some kind of Aramaic that has been spoken in the area of Syria?

4 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Could you get us some kind of Aramaic that has been spoken in the area of Syria?

image.thumb.png.18538b073096715dd8ceb745108dc629.png

Here is a list of Aramaic dialects available for translation. I am not sure which one was spoken in Syria but I think the Official Aramaic looks promising. The ancient Syrians spoke Syriac languages which contains many sub-languages that are quite distinct from each other, so it is difficult to choose one. But I think we can't go too wrong with Official Aramaic as it is still used today in some areas of the world. 

Also why do you want Aramaic? Are you adding a new civ?

• Thanks 1