Two-Gendered Citizens Mod (Please Test!)

Based on numerous requests, I went ahead and made a mod to add 2 genders to "Citizens" in the game. It is based heavily on my work on Delenda Est. The Two-Genders mod does not change any stats, only converts the "Female Citizen" unit to a unit that uses Female and Male actors. The only civ that keeps Female Citizens is Sparta in this mod. 

It is compatible with Alpha 24 and can be tested by anyone with that release. If successful, this may be folded into the main game's repo at WFG's leisure and discretion. 

support_citizen.png.53396bd68428e954d07e664fd509d37b.pngsupport_citizen.png.a879ace977122933dc924d755fd7e941.pngsupport_citizen.png.bba6ef8f0fed9d7aac22c9ec9f92ceb6.pngsupport_citizen.png.dbeb83630117508662b9a8f065f36bb7.pngsupport_citizen.png.92a33ada27d0670701543a936894fae5.pngsupport_citizen.png.5c647b79657a6e4ed7d946c0ec4d423e.pngsupport_female_citizen.png.e226e51607da7a4fd9a7119d34b2571c.png

DOWNLOAD THE MOD HERE, FROM GITHUB.COM:

https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/0-A.D.-Alpha-24---Two-Gendered-Citizens

I will maintain/curate the mod and commit fixes for any problems you guys may find. Also, if you are familiar with GitHub, feel free to submit Pull Requests to the link above.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Historically ancient Greek women were forbidden to work, especially the kind of work depicted in-game (farming, lumbering, and mining), except the very poor who have no other option. Is it possible to reduce women percentage for Hellenes citizens? I see that in DE A23 the percentage can be set in actors (but then the women have men's voice lol), not sure how it should be done in A24.

46 minutes ago, azayrahmad said:

Historically ancient Greek women were forbidden to work, especially the kind of work depicted in-game (farming, lumbering, and mining), except the very poor who have no other option. Is it possible to reduce women percentage for Hellenes citizens? I see that in DE A23 the percentage can be set in actors (but then the women have men's voice lol), not sure how it should be done in A24.

That would require additional code. Out of the scope of this particular mod. :) 

Just played around for 20mins, seems to work as intended. Tested citizen production via CC and house.

I only noticed that the production of male vs female is not always equal. Sometimes a batch of 6 is only male/ female, other times it works as intended. It seems random. 

An then there is this: 

mauryas.jpg.0aee4213585602f0ccc1bd55540e8f91.jpg

Also can you change the accent color e.g. blue?

mauryas2.jpg.09fd75ee2ed83053146bf7ff762396e3.jpg

PS: Just noticed that the selection via 'Skirmish' --> 'New Maps' now only shows 'Atlas Valley', the tag for new maps has been removed with [24939]  and [25007]. I guess you used some SVN version between theses changesets to create this mod.

Edited by Langbart
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Langbart said:

I only noticed that the production of male vs female is not always equal. Sometimes a batch of 6 is only male/ female, other times it works as intended. It seems random.

It is random. Sometimes you will randomly get a batch of all men, sometimes a batch of all women.

Also can you change the accent color e.g. blue?

All support units use orange. I didn't change anything about that (and won't in this patch).

PS: Just noticed that the selection via 'Skirmish' --> 'New Maps' now only shows 'Atlas Valley', the tag for new maps has been removed with [24939]  and [25007]. I guess you used some SVN version between theses changesets to create this mod.

Easy fix. :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

All support units use orange. I didn't change anything about that (and won't in this patch).

Hmm, your orange is more eye-catching. Why are the lower parts in an accent color in the "Athenian" males and not also in the females? Females look too white.

orange.jpg.139367e8da7be7d2bb5876aa2bec2ba3.jpg

works without problems for me. Even the translation into german is correct.

The only thing i am noticing is that in the pictures of the units, the color of their faces not always match the rest of their skin tone. The face of the Athenian women (first picture) looks very pale for example or the face of the Iberian? man (third picture) is very dark, compared to the rest of the model.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, maroder said:

works without problems for me. Even the translation into german is correct.

The only thing i am noticing is that in the pictures of the units, the color of their faces not always match the rest of their skin tone. The face of the Athenian women (first picture) looks very pale for example or the face of the Iberian? man (third picture) is very dark, compared to the rest of the model.

But in any case it would be the complete unit, Or at least one of the variants of this unit that brings that little bug.

Because some all icons are screenshots of the unit of the unit with certain background effects.

Because the unit heads are designed separately or separately from the body.

Maybe @wackyserious you can take a look at this problem and where they are most noticeable is with some spartan unit.

9 hours ago, azayrahmad said:

Wait... Is the nude women intentional? And is it only on certain civs? I rarely played Mauryan in DE though so not sure.

The topless Maurya women are based on primary archeological references. I'll remove them for EA though. It's a simple change in the actor. Wouldn't want to offend anyone. 

6 hours ago, maroder said:

The game needs more face and head textures in general. Cc0 or cc by sa face photos are hard to come by though. 

2 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

{civ}/support_female_citizen -> {civ}/support_citizen

Thank you for the clarification. That could be done with a sed one-liner.

19 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

The only civ that keeps Female Citizens is Sparta in this mod. 

You can do whatever you like in your Delenda Est mod, but if it's to be included in the public repository, then art should exist for all civilizations, including Sparta.

Also, I suspect you don't need that template_unit_support_citizen_female.xml at all; just including the following line in your Spartan file ought to be enough:

<Phenotype datatype="tokens">-male</Phenotype>

or perhaps:

<Phenotype replace="">female</Phenotype>

(I didn't test, though.)

I'll have a more critical look later :).

3 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Thank you for the clarification. That could be done with a sed one-liner.

Feel free to create a Pull request

3 minutes ago, Nescio said:

You can do whatever you like in your Delenda Est mod, but if it's to be included in the public repository, then art should exist for all civilizations, including Sparta.

Feel free to create a pull request

4 minutes ago, Nescio said:

Also, I suspect you don't need that template_unit_support_citizen_female.xml at all; just including the following line in your Spartan file ought to be enough:

You're probably right. Feel free to submit a pull request. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherah

Ma also worshiped the sexual aspects of women in terms of female fertility.

This was done by all the Semitic and Middle Eastern peoples like the Hittites.

The concept of mother goddess is in all civilizations.

I wonder what relationship exists for example in all the deities of the bronze age with syncretism and the deity of the iron age.

asera-astoret-cnaanite-diosa-de-la-fertilidad-el-consorte-de-la-principal-o-el-dios-baal-biblico-las-figurillas-de-barro-bp233c.jpg

Queen_of_the_Night_(Babylon).jpg

2008_1005turkey0166.jpg