Tournament idea : top 8

vinme

the idea is to do a small tournament with only 1900+ players who are actively playing ranked 1v1s there being 8 of them. 

@ValihrAnt @borg- @scweinepriester(if som1 know his acc tag him) @Feldfeld @Stockfish @JC (naval supremacist) @superposition(also tag him please) @StarAtt

question to players tagged above :would you play in the tournament?

it should be easy to manage being a small tournament.

option 1:there could be a regular system of 3 games per round per 2 player who would be randomly matched up. 3 rounds and 21 games.

option 2:there could be every player playing 1 game vs the other 7 therefore there would be 7 rounds(or no rounds but manual time specifications) and 28 games total each win being a point and the player with most points wins.if certian players earn equal points there could be a tiebreaker.

option 3:post any ideas below. 

option 2 seems more complicated to organize but the reason i like it is that it allows for more diverse games and fairer results with each player having the opportunity to face every other  elite player of 0ad.option 2 is certainly the best way to decide who the best player is along with n2,n3,n4 ect.

option 1 simpler and therefore involves less complications that may occur in option 2 such as:certain players just leaving if they lose too much early on/not trying as hard anymore,equal points making things longer,manual matchups could stretch out the tournament in time(i hope this can be avoided with only 8 players being easy to organize).

Copy-pasting A24 Invitational rules (RIP) if you find any use for it:

The tournament will consist of a Ro8 (Bo3), Ro4 (Bo5), Finals (Bo7). Both Ro8 and Ro4 will be done on a Saturday and the finals on a Sunday. So the tournament will last a weekend. If both finalists agree the finals can be scheduled to a better date.

Rules are simple:

- First game on Balanced Mainland
- Each player prepicks a civilization before game, civs used in previous games can't be picked again
- Loser picks next map

Map Pool:

- Balanced Mainland (small)
- Balanced Hyrcanian Shores (medium)
- Wrench (medium)
- Cross (medium)
- Slopes (small)
- 2 last maps to be defined

2 minutes ago, maroder said:

Option 3: 1 game. All vs all. Last man standing.

OP! That would be certainly most entertaining.

On 10/03/2021 at 11:32 AM, badosu said:

Copy-pasting A24 Invitational rules (RIP) if you find any use for it:

The tournament will consist of a Ro8 (Bo3), Ro4 (Bo5), Finals (Bo7). Both Ro8 and Ro4 will be done on a Saturday and the finals on a Sunday. So the tournament will last a weekend. If both finalists agree the finals can be scheduled to a better date.

Rules are simple:

- First game on Balanced Mainland
- Each player prepicks a civilization before game, civs used in previous games can't be picked again
- Loser picks next map

Map Pool:

- Balanced Mainland (small)
- Balanced Hyrcanian Shores (medium)
- Wrench (medium)
- Cross (medium)
- Slopes (small)
- 2 last maps to be defined

OP! That would be certainly most entertaining.

a24 invitational? never heard of it i assume it happened already? but glad to hear ppl doing tournaments.

so 8 players 1v1 with 3 games each then 4 with 5 games each and then finals with total of 7 games? idk what Ro means but im guessing its that.

not a bad idea so pretty much option 1 but more games per round.not gonna lie 7 for finals seems too much too me even 5 but if thats what the players would like that would be great more 1900+ games for me to watch and for u to hopefully commentate.

civ rule is very good completely agree with it to create more diversity + ofc no advantages by both choosing without seeing the other persons civ.

ur mod very op makes 0ad so much better and maps rly good too.2 last maps would be really interesting to define.to create more dynamic play it would be really good if there were 3-4 more maps either picked from already created maps or made in sandbox map maker thing in 0ad.although i dont see many more ideas for interesting unique maps.i think maps must be simple not to overload the already very complex gaming experience that is 0ad.

1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1 seems insane XD def fun to watch but we wont know who best from it.(iber would rule all in that game)

man i really wish there was a way to make 0ad secure enough for prize pools but i wouldnt be putting in any effort in that as from last time i asked i recall it would be complicated.

i personally prefer option 2 to option 1 it seems more fun to me as option 1 many players wont have a chance to face each other and there has to be several games per 1v1 3 for reasonabe amount of games to build up.option 2 is both dynamic and provides a better variety of games.also option2 seems more funt to play in if i were a 1900 (rn 1730) id def wanna play in option 2 over option 1.

1 hour ago, vinme said:

i personally prefer option 2 to option 1 it seems more fun to me as option 1 many players wont have a chance to face each other and there has to be several games per 1v1 3 for reasonabe amount of games to build up.option 2 is both dynamic and provides a better variety of games.also option2 seems more funt to play in if i were a 1900 (rn 1730) id def wanna play in option 2 over option 1.

I prefer option 2 too.

im just gonna write here to maybe make this thread pop up into "recent" hmm..bababa dadadaddsdsdsdasasadsdadsdsdasadsdada

also maybe if top 8 players wont all agree to participate next highest rated must fill the slot.altho from the lack or response from those pinged im pessimistic

• Haha 1