Jump to content

Bring back a23


Recommended Posts

Hi,


I write with a little anger, hmm, a lot even and I think that it will be worth me a ban but as long as I do ...


First of all, take a look at my last game, yes my last if nothing is done to change things. Files are in attachments.


Now tell me, tell me honestly if that, that is 0ad.


For my part, I can hardly recognize this game I loved so much, this game which reached such a level that it became a benchmark in the genre.


Now, speaking to the developers, I just want to ask you why. Why such a rushed release ?
I have no doubt that you are working hard to fix the bugs that are going to be submitted daily, but so many changes and so sudden are not the best. I also know how to count on your listening to the community to direct you in your works when you do not know which direction to take. I will not list here everything that is wrong with this release but I trust that the cries of the players will be heard and that the game-play will be quickly restored.

0ad is a long term dream so please, please, make it great again and remember that

Quote

Quality > Quantity

 

#Make0adGreatAgain

commands.txt metadata.json

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

Now tell me, tell me honestly if that, that is 0ad.

You clearly have a lot of emotional investment in the game and have grown comfortable with the previous alpha.  That makes sense, but I would point out that 0 AD is a collectively developed game.  There are a lot of things I dislike about the current iteration, and if I were to take dictatorial control over the game, it would veer in a radically different direction.  Luckily some of my opinions have made an impact, and yours can as well.  That said, while I like many of the changes introduced, many other people like yourself are disillusioned with the current alpha so you're not alone.

You yourself said that you do not wish to nitpick over the problems.  Would you mind explaining some of the things you miss from the previous alpha?  I doubt I'll agree with any of your points, but I would like to better understand where you are coming from.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

To say this release has been rushed is a little ridiculous on it's own to be honest. 

I agree but the last days of the release have been rushed and I think we agree on that too.

47 minutes ago, Lopess said:

 

Participate in the debates about the alpha 25 gameplay, if you have well-founded and specific ideas aimed at improving the game you will surely be heard.

I will do for sure !

39 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

It took us three years to launch. Before it only took 4 or 3 months.

The last days of the release have been rushed, right ?

33 minutes ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

You clearly have a lot of emotional investment in the game and have grown comfortable with the previous alpha.  That makes sense, but I would point out that 0 AD is a collectively developed game.  There are a lot of things I dislike about the current iteration, and if I were to take dictatorial control over the game, it would veer in a radically different direction.  Luckily some of my opinions have made an impact, and yours can as well.  That said, while I like many of the changes introduced, many other people like yourself are disillusioned with the current alpha so you're not alone.

You yourself said that you do not wish to nitpick over the problems.  Would you mind explaining some of the things you miss from the previous alpha?  I doubt I'll agree with any of your points, but I would like to better understand where you are coming from.

Thank you for your perspective. Ok, to take a bit in the details, I think the game-play is broken (if you take a look at that replay, you will understand everything !).

But here is a non exhaustive list (and sorry my language may be brutal):

- Slingers were op in a23we complained then make archers op

- Giving all the factions rams is abusive is my opinion as it reduces the originality of each faction

- Pathfinding has serious issues now (probably due to snapping addition) and those issues are the most seen with rams and on nuits target change

- Resources are not balanced

Those simple facts broke whole the gameplay in my humble opinion. 

 

EDIT : the most important !

UNITS STATE MACHINE IS BROKEN

Edited by BoredRusher
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And of course I can simply congratulate the development team for all the great changes made. Those changes include :

- Lot better graphisms

- Better options

- Better GUI

- Better translations

- Even a Better balance and global pathfinding

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

About my edit :

Units behaviour, I don't know what happened to it. 

You will see for example soldiers be capturing buildings on the battle field, or try to target unsuccessfully a group of archers with skirmirshers when an elephant is in between...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

And of course I can simply congratulate the development team for all the great changes made. Those changes include :

- Lot better graphisms

- Better options

- Better GUI

- Better translations

- Even a Better balance and global pathfinding

Thank you for highlighting also the benefits. This is will be much appreciated to all the people that worked hard.

30 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

The last days of the release have been rushed, right ?

Actually I can certify to you that we discussed the balance for MONTHS. We had a private discussion on the topic since december 2019:

image.thumb.png.47ba388e6ec5eb68b38c92b34ce87847.png

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Genava55 said:

Thank you for highlighting also the benefits. This is will be much appreciated to all the people that worked hard.

Actually I can certify to you that we discussed the balance for MONTHS. We had a private discussion on the topic since december 2019:

image.thumb.png.47ba388e6ec5eb68b38c92b34ce87847.png

Balance is good and you are right. But I am talking more in terms of gameplay and game experience/feeling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BoredRusher said:

I agree but the last days of the release have been rushed and I think we agree on that too

could you please be specific what period do you refer to as last days? 

there have been almost month not introducing new things, just fixing crtical bugs and fixing balance based on players feedback from playing svn, which mostly was introduced by players requests in the first place. 

 

9 hours ago, BoredRusher said:

 

 

9 hours ago, BoredRusher said:

UNITS STATE MACHINE IS BROKEN

unit state machine is very complex, which part of it is broken? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Angen said:

could you please be specific what period do you refer to as last days

The last 2-3 days to be exact. The release has been done with basic bugs. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm sure you do tests but in my point of view, those bugs were due to a rush.

12 minutes ago, Angen said:

I am confused, you say balance is good but posts above say something else. 

Gameplay is not balance.

I'm saying that gameplay is broken even if balance is better.

24 minutes ago, Angen said:

there have been almost month not introducing new things, just fixing crtical bugs and fixing balance based on players feedback from playing svn, which mostly was introduced by players requests in the first place. 

 

 

unit state machine is very complex, which part of it is broken? 

I gave some examples of broken states in a former comment, please take a look at it then if you want further, I will show you by example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

Gameplay is not balance.

I'm saying that gameplay is broken even if balance is better

ok, so you count as changing attack values for units and introducing units to factions as gameplay and not balance, I see it as balance because it changes which faction is stronger or weaker :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Angen said:

ok, so you count as changing attack values for units and introducing units to factions as gameplay and not balance, I see it as balance because it changes which faction is stronger or weaker :)

I am not talking of those changes. I'm complaining the most about state machines, rams for all factions, etc.

You are corrupting my words.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

The last 2-3 days to be exact

Honestly I don't see the point here.

It was decided at some point to start release and stop adding new features so game can be tested. 

That period took almost month and no one noted such a problems that would imply the process needs to be longer. 

Sorry but I just said that adding new unit to faction is balance from my perspective (what adding rams to all faction is adding new unit) 

also you say you don't complain about stat changes (attack and so on) but you do as you say archers are op now what could only be done but changing their attack stats. 

10 hours ago, BoredRusher said:

Slingers were op in a23we complained then make archers op

 

10 hours ago, BoredRusher said:

Giving all the factions rams is abusive is my opinion as it reduces the originality of each faction

 

10 hours ago, BoredRusher said:

Resources are not balanced

that are 3 points mentioing balance

I dont intend to corrupt your words, I just want to understand your point of view because it seems to be different from mine to what do you refer as balancing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Angen said:

Honestly I don't see the point here.

It was decided at some point to start release and stop adding new features so game can be tested. 

That period took almost month and no one noted such a problems that would imply the process needs to be longer. 

Sorry but I just said that adding new unit to faction is balance from my perspective (what adding rams to all faction is adding new unit) 

also you say you don't complain about stat changes (attack and so on) but you do as you say archers are op now what could only be done but changing their attack stats. 

 

 

that are 3 points mentioing balance

I dont intend to corrupt your words, I just want to understand your point of view because it seems to be different from mine to what do you refer as balancing. 

We definitely have different points of view. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, PhyZik said:

Is true, a24 is trash compared to a23. The wheelchair banner fits this release perfect.

 

Best wishes

your Cav-GOAT

I'll refuse to understand how some people can just be this toxic and full of theirselves honestly. 

Don't you guys know no one is getting payed and everyone is giving their free time and will to work on this?

To not agree, criticise, discuss is one thing but ^ that = :throw-up: 

EDIT: Also the prime example of what i meant when i said the devs shouldnt weigh to hard on negative opinions like these.

Edited by Grapjas
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

EDIT: Also the prime example of what i meant when i said the devs shouldnt weigh to hard on negative opinions like these.

Yes, i don't really care about that kind of "criticism" anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lopess said:

 

Congratulations to all the developers of this incredible game made in a collaborative and completely voluntary way.

Lopess, the developers are doing an awesome work and we agree on that. Also, if I am talking about those "negative" changes it's because I love this masterpiece and want all its good for the future. See my words more as suggestions than criticism to the wonderful job done by those great persons who did, for sure an achievement to be congratulated.

1 hour ago, borg- said:

Is not possible to please everyone. I see a lot of people online and a lot of games, so it seems like most of them liked it anyway.

You are probably right but the in my humble perspective, a big percentage of people would like to play a23 only with some of the new a24 improvements. Maybe, we could launch a vote to see that deeply but as i said, it's only from my perspective.

And if a such vote reveals that mainly the players prefer a24 (which will surprise me a lot), if think the losing margin will follow the way of the democracy.

The most effective way to show those opinion variations is to do a vote on all the newly implemented features to see how effective is each one from the perspective of the community.

A such vote could be by the way, a kind of guideline for the developers. A guideline to follow whenever they can so the game will progress as intended by both the majorities of the community and developers.

And further, it would even be interesting to make a such vote during the early testing of new versions to avoid those divergences of opinion in the future.

49 minutes ago, Grapjas said:

I'll refuse to understand how some people can just be this toxic and full of theirselves honestly. 

Don't you guys know no one is getting payed and everyone is giving their free time and will to work on this?

To not agree, criticise, discuss is one thing but ^ that = :throw-up: 

EDIT: Also the prime example of what i meant when i said the devs shouldnt weigh to hard on negative opinions like these.

Grapjas, maybe PhyZic was too far in his words.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that, perhaps, some people are so upset because they fear a25 will be years away. 

Yes, a24 is quite different from a23. Like, a lot. Almost a different game. Personally I'm happy things changed a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BoredRusher said:

The most effective way to show those opinion variations is to do a vote on all the newly implemented features to see how effective is each one from the perspective of the community.

That was done:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...