Bring back a23

BoredRusher

17 hours ago, LetswaveaBook said:

I didn't play alpha 23 much, but I think A26 is worse for me than A24 and A25.

By the way: I know some people have strong feelings about A24, but that doesn't affect my opinion.

I'm curious to know why is that. Personally I didn't experience A26 much, but it seemed to me it was an enhancement compared to A25.

Also I loved A24, but it seems I'm in strict minority. At least they just won an Oscar, lol. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, alre said:

I'm curious to know why is that. Personally I didn't experience A26 much, but it seemed to me it was an enhancement compared to A25.

The most common and basic strategy for 0AD is booming with infantry.

I an A25 you could rush with mercenary cavalry to play in a way that allowed you to interact more with your enemy. That added some variety to the game. In A26, prices of mercenary cavalry were increased and this rush was pushed to the sidelines of existance.

Also, I dislike acceleration. Cavalry rushing and (extended) early cavalry play in 1v1s in A25 was all ready a strategy that required the attacker to play at his very best. In A26, cavalry rushing became less effecting. In A26 the boomer had probably also the easier strategy and A26 only enhanced that. This is probably my main concern. Booming in A26 and then defeating an (often lesser skilled) opponent in a big battle did not feel as rewarding as constant action. Booming and then losing an lesser skilled opponent did not feel nice either.

Also, the pikemen change did feel bad for me. The pike men felt like a clown unit: its low attack makes it a bad and laughable fighter. Its only purpose is to soak damage, which in respect it does fairly well. In A26 it even more laughable in single combat and therefore it is forced even more in its clown role of soaking damage.

Pikemen were an asset in their A25's clown role. However for Seleucids, Macedonians and Kushites this benefit was offset by weaker hero's, so it felt reasonable. In A26, only their weaker clown role did not feel like a nice trade off. I want pikemen (specialized to 4 factions) to be something cool, instead of being relied on their clown role of damage soaking.

By the way: please don't bother me with any team game logic. A game that is only optimized for team games might not be good for 1v1s. I think if the game wants to be good, it should also be good for 1v1s. Conversely, I believe that a game that is good for 1v1s is most likely also good for team games. I actually never really took team games that seriously, though I enjoyed them when  was looking for a less serious game (and when they didn't disconnect).

In A25 it was worth to spend some time waiting to play a higher rated 1v1 game. In A26 I often felt disappointed after waiting for a while and then playing a disappointing game.

Anyway, that is how I feel and that could just be personal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LetswaveaBook said:

Also, the pikemen change did feel bad for me. The pike men felt like a clown unit: its low attack makes it a bad and laughable fighter. Its only purpose is to soak damage, which in respect it does fairly well. In A26 it even more laughable in single combat and therefore it is forced even more in its clown role of soaking damage.

I agree. To an extent, all melee except for swordsmen and sword cavalry seem like clown units. The "meat shield" meta has 2 parts: melee units are too tanky, melee units deal very little damage (compared to range).

I agree that melees should deal more damage relative to ranged, compared to what they are now. However, if we increase the melee damage, all battles would be instant gambles. Right now, if two large armies collide (in formation), it would produce a momentary freeze / lag, then you see tow dozens of units lost already in just one second. This is too ridiculous as we can't control what the units do in that important time frame. The solution is to increase the health of melee units! Alternatively, give them better armour.

• Confused 2