Ram mechanics in game

captBluesky

I'd like to open a discussion about possible changes to ram implementation.

In comments about 24b, there's talk about ram issues, why rams don't attack soldiers anymore, etc.

My proposal would be to modify ram's along the lines of mechanized units found in other games.
One of these is a german tank battle game called SuddenStrike and SuddentStrikeII. In that game

tanks, jeeps, trucks, apc's were *manned* and could not operate without a crew. The crew could be

killed, or the crew could leave the vehicle, leaving the vehicle essentially inert and *neutral* (meaning anyone/team could capture it).

Vehicles could be damaged unable to move until repaired. A minimum crew compliment was required to operate a given vehicle.

Vehicle fighting efficiency varied depending on how completely the vehicle was crewed.

My understanding of ancient rams is that they were manned, the men inside not only operated the ram, moved it, they also fought off

attackers from within.

So I propose something similar for 0ad.

1. rams don't move and are inert without a crew

2. rams are owned by whomever crews it.

3. rams can break down (made unusable) but can be repaired.

4. rams can (still) be destroyed.

5. crews in rams can inflict damage on enemy units in the vicinity.

Edited by captBluesky
grammar

This has been suggested before, by myself and possibly others too. I don't think it will ever be accepted by the devs. Your best bet would be making a mod for it yourself and share it for the people who also want that mechanic.

Edited by Grapjas

@captBluesky You probably want to read some previous discussions about rams.

As for some of your ram ideas, I agree with them.

1. It is doable in current game engine. However it is arguably complicating the game i.e. adding micro.

2. Possibly doable with some tweaks. I believe rams were capturable before, not sure in current alpha.

3. So like below certain health it is immovable? Again, arguably complicated, but interesting.

4. It already is.

5. Doable with aura. But rams are already deadly to building as they are.

I will try to implement this to a mod if time permits this weekend, see how they go.

• Like 2

A second proposal:

- units can build rams and siege towers on any (even enemy?) terrain, like buildings.

- to be able to build a ram/s.t. you may be requested to have completed some research only avaiable in third age (at the workshop? a the fort?)

- units that build a ram/s.t. are instantly picked up when the ram is completed

- when there is noone in the ram, it stops moving (it loses loyalty? it auto-destroys?)

Now garrisoned rams are an incredible weapon, but are micro-intensive, this way they would be more realistic and overall less micro-requiring. This also resolves the contraddiction of having siege workshops in all civilizations, just for rams.