[POLL] Corpse Removal Option

Corpse Removal Option  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What options should be available ?

• No option, fixed amount of corpses, can not be changed
    • On / Off
    • Intermediate Numbers, see picture
    • No feature

27 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

I suppose you didn't get the point of the only on/off.

Than tell me, what's the intention? How do you understand on/off?

As I understand it means corpses as it actually is, or no corpses. The first option hast a big performance impact on battle (also on high end PCs), the other is fast but ugly. So my question is why not a third option in between?

I voted for on/off, because of ease of use during a game and the mentioned inconsistency of corpses disappearing at different intervals. But that is really just my personal preference and it was a close call. So from my point of view a slider option is also good, as long as there is the option to set it to 0.

And i do feel like most people who voted for on/off could live with the slider option when you can set it to 0. I dont think the opinion is on/off or don't implement the feature, it more like on/off is preferred, but as long as it is included it is a step forward.

1 hour ago, vladislavbelov said:

Have you read the posts above? About inconsistent popping in a case of intermediate numbers?

I think you didn't get my point. I suggested a limit of 100 units. As the corpse gets stacked on the battleground, you wont notice the popping.

I can provide a video with such a limit this weekend.

I don't get why you are against this feature? If you don't like it, don't use it. But only on/off is useless. Nearly nobody will chose "off". The feauture has a so high potential.

4 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

I think you didn't get my point. I suggested a limit of 100 units. As the corpse gets stacked on the battleground, you wont notice the popping.

I notice the popping even with 200, when a battle is big enough, like 200vs200. Bigger battles make them even more noticeable.

5 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

I don't get why you are against this feature? If you don't like it, don't use it.

I can feel the irritation in your words. I'm not against feature, I'm against the intermediate numbers. Why? Because the current implementation adds coupling (which is bad) and adds visual degradation. Since we have nobody to be responsible for overall visual impression of 0 A.D. I'm worrying about that, since I'm doing graphics.

12 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

But only on/off is useless. Nearly nobody will chose "off". Nearly nobody will chose "off". The feauture has a so high potential.

It's a biasing, please do not present your opinion as a truth. Why do you need corpses if your computer isn't powerful enough for them? Why not icons with number of lost units?

A variant that wasn't discussed so far is to make the time of disappearance configurable. For instance corpses stay for 5 seconds (use slider for slider sake!). This way the the information corpses provide remain reliable while avoiding the visual oddity of the corpse limit approach. The performance gain would also be similar in most cases.

• Like 4

It's a biasing, please do not present your opinion as a truth.

You're right, sorry.

Why do you need corpses if your computer isn't powerful enough for them?

I guess if my current Ryzen has problems to run the game without lags, most computers wont it too.

The drop down menu was only a suggestion as a compromise between numbers and the on/off switch.

Currently I use,like @hyperion suggested, a modification of the sinking time. I could agree on this solution too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

I guess if my current Ryzen has problems to run the game without lags, most computers wont it too.

The "Off" option has maximum performance. Supporting intermediate states means additional cost of support for graphics. We also could render only half of objects in reflection/refraction maps, but it also requires additional support.

38 minutes ago, OptimusShepard said:

Currently I use,like @hyperion suggested, a modification of the sinking time. I could agree on this solution too.

I don't mind for that solution. It won't help in the only case when many units are killed at the same time and many units have been already completed in queues.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took a screenshot of the battle. During the battle with the AI, 500 "used arrows" are displayed in a small area. This is a lot for low-spec computers. I think it would be nice to combine this in the settings as "Displayed objects of the battle" (corpses, ruins, arrows) and clean it up within a single queue.
This method will not affect small battles in any way and and will give a big profit for large

Снимок экрана от 2021-03-12 20-59-42.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nwtour said:

I took a screenshot of the battle. During the battle with the AI, 500 "used arrows" are displayed in a small area. This is a lot for low-spec computers. I think it would be nice to combine this in the settings as "Displayed objects of the battle" (corpses, ruins, arrows) and clean it up within a single queue.
This method will not affect small battles in any way and and will give a big profit for large

Снимок экрана от 2021-03-12 20-59-42.png

Feel free to commandeer D2936, you have my permission. I don't know if I'll work on it when I get back.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

In multiplayer players can hit CTRL+TAB to view summary for current scores quickly. I think the only time it would be useful is in quick scrimmages early on when being rushed.  At that point populations are <100 generally.  

For multiplayer would it be possible to force the same corpse setting for all players playing?  From reading this thread 100 seems like a sweet spot.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2021 at 1:51 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Oh, I see. Odd. So the 2 significant digits are currently hard-coded for sliders.

In the last autociv version I added some extra settings controllers, one of them is a slider for integer values, seems to work well for the max corpse setting and doesnt modify much the base code.

2 hours ago, Dizaka said:

In multiplayer players can hit CTRL+TAB to view summary for current scores quickly. I think the only time it would be useful is in quick scrimmages early on when being rushed.  At that point populations are <100 generally.  

For multiplayer would it be possible to force the same corpse setting for all players playing?  From reading this thread 100 seems like a sweet spot.

You can't enforce that kind of state sync to corpses bc they are not serialized.

• Thanks 1