33 minutes ago, chrstgtr said:

Also, a capture of the tower (which is currently quite easy) could be a disaster and nearly impossible to defend in some cases.

Oh yeah, I forgot about EA's insane reliance on capturing. IMHO, defensive and/or military structures should not be capturable. But w/e.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are DE's scout actors: I gave them simple daggers. They aren't based on any specific references, just made them look like basic units of their own culture, so if y'all want to improve t

I can't imagine a better scout than a hunter... Hunters need to scout all the time. It's their speciality. Scouts need to able to live off the land more effectively as well, as they can spend many day

if cav could not hunt anymore, that would drop cav rush even more, no?  If regular soldiers would need to be used for hunting, their walk speed would need to go up else hunting would be nerfed ev

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Big gameplay change are involved in this topic, and some suggestion are impacted by A25 gameplay patches

• CC not able to train military unit :

I'm not sure it is a good idea, this will make you really dependent of the map. If you are lucky and you got extra food(hunt/berries) you will be able to spend your wood into a barracks and then you can be aggresive. In the other hand if you are unlucky and you don't have any extra food you will have to invest your wood into field, your barracks will be delayed by 2 min, which makes you extremly weak. Can be even worse with D2854.

And as @chrstgtr explain it will slow down rushes reactivity.

• Baracks training higher rank unit:

I don't really like this idea, it will make the game slower. Barracks units are mainly used to boom during the first 10 min of the game and higher rank unit have lower gathering rates. Also higher rank unit is planned for mercenaries to differenciate them (D3699).

• Citizen Cavalry not able to hunt anymore :

I don't like this idea, in my opinion it is a great innovation from this game giving dynamism to it. Being able to rush then gather some food on your way back and stealing opponent hunts are interresting gameplay. Hunting cavalry is part of this game identity.

Compared to citizen soldier they can't do much, they are not able to build or gather other ressources than meat.

There is already a cavalry not able to hunt the champions.

Well, i like multidisciplinary units being able to have a job during peacetime.

• Using citizen infantry to hunt:

Infantry can already hunt, they hunt as fast as woman collect berries without the upgrade. In some rare situation it can be worth to use your infantry to hunt.

• New unit the "Scout":

I like the idea to have a wider range of unit possibilities. having a unit dedicated to hunt and explore can be interresting. If you see this as a kind of mounted "woman", i like it, but if it is a unit meant to replace current phase 1 cavalry, I am not very enthusiastic.

Being able to build outpost is an interresting idea, I like it, but current A24 outpost need to be reworked otherwise it is not usefull.

• Limitation of unit trainable:

I don't like this idea of limiting the quantity of unit trainable. Let some freedom to the players.

Limiting to 5 scouts: is it really worth it to make more if they can only hunt, explore and die ?

Limiting to 15 citizen soldier in the CC: i don't really see the point. In early game it is not much used to train citizen soldier being the only building where you can train women. and in the late game you don't need women anymore. As it is currently, the CC is useful all along the game.

6 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Edwarf is there anyway where it wouldn't be too much like AOE?

In AoE the scout can only explore and harass the oponent. Here if the scout can collect ressources, build outpost and being bad at fighting, it  doesn't seems to be too much like AoE. Especially if the current cavalry is kept as it is currently.

I think more opinions are needed about this unit, it is a big change.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Edwarf said:

I don't really like this idea, it will make the game slower. Barracks units are mainly used to boom during the first 10 min of the game and higher rank unit have lower gathering rates. Also higher rank unit is planned for mercenaries to differenciate them (D3699).

That is precisely why it is being proposed.  A military structure used for economic purposes is an oxymoron. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Edwarf said:
  • New unit the "Scout":

I like the idea to have a wider range of unit possibilities. having a unit dedicated to hunt and explore can be interresting. If you see this as a kind of mounted "woman", i like it, but if it is a unit meant to replace current phase 1 cavalry, I am not very enthusiastic.

Being able to build outpost is an interresting idea, I like it, but current A24 outpost need to be reworked otherwise it is not usefull.

https://github.com/JustusAvramenko/scout-mod

The Scout only replaces the single starting cav. You can still train the cavalry javelineer or cavalry spearman (dependent on civ) from the CC to go hunt. Currently, to make more Scouts, you build a Stable. No units are disabled in Village Phase in this mod. Though, there is some idea to move the Scout training to the CC and the Cav Jav to the Stable. 

Outposts must definitely be improved, I agree. Probably to be more like A23, but also a few more improvements with towers in general (Delenda Est does a good job making towers more interesting). Perhaps I will include these improvements in the Better Scouting mod, or make a separate mod for Towers in general ("Better Towers" mod?). Probably include the Outpost improvements in Better Scouting and Defense Tower improvements in Better Towers. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

That is precisely why it is being proposed.  A military structure used for economic purposes is an oxymoron. 

Indeed. You don't build training facilities and train armies in order to boom your city's economy. In fact, building an army should be a rather large resource drain until they can bring loot back home from their conquests.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1