Mercenary Camps on Maps

To make 0a.d less boring, we could have more interactive maps. We could have some neutral mercenaries or neutral trade routes that we could team up with, this increases the range of strategies and makes it more fun.

I also find it interesting to start the game with scout instead of a spear / jave cav. Scout could hunt and have a bigger view than other cavs. Oher cavs could no longer hunt, so you can hunt with scout (limit of 1 per game) and you would need soldiers to hunt the other animals. For that, it would be necessary to increase the speed of hunting for citizen soldiers.

• Like 2

I'm creating this thread to discuss the usage of biome specific mercenary camps on maps. The idea would be to use the current camps (and possibly remove them from civs (which is kind of a no no for differentiation) and have them preplaced on maps. This is something that has been explored by @wowgetoffyourcellphone on Delenda Est.

I am in favour of the idea.

Carthaginians could have an autoresearched tech which make all mercs cheaper in those camps.

Potential issues:

• Random map integration
  • Differentiation between civs.

Note: This thread also raises questions about mercenaries in general in 0 A.D. but I think it should be discussed elsewhere.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My idea is to keep mercenaries for civilizations, as it is now. They do not necessarily have to be mercenaries, it can be like nomadic tribes (if historically correct). There’s no need to recruit units, they can just give you some interesting bonuses, or some unique techonolgoias, or even some treasure like aoe3. The main focus is to make the map more interactive. The player needs to adapt to the map as the game progresses.

Edited by borg-

It could also be abandoned buildings, something like the Roman camps. You cannot train units but they are effective in the domain of map and resource protection.

• 4 weeks later...