Why are Kushite and Carthage mercenary camps still limited?

Alar1k

1 hour ago, Dakara said:

Why not for romans camp only auxiliary units ? like mercenary but units with a precise identity and role

Hmm this seems interesting, and I would like to second that - there might be something like Illyrian archer and/or slinger mercenary, because Romans did conquer Illyrians around that time (circa 169 BC) - in some historical sources there is mention of poisoned arrows used by Illyirians in Dalmatia so that might be implemented as there is burning javelins for Iberian champions - in this case Illyiran archer can even be made mercenary champion troop - hybrid between those two categories to make Romans unique in that aspect - and maybe also add Illyrian corsairs with sica swords to be recruited from the dock?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

One use of those structures would just be to unlock the corresponding units, not to actually produce them (barrack is for that)

which would mean it could, contrary to the technologies, be taken away from you again, when someone destroys the building. Sounds interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

Yes, see:

Omg yes - this would be phenomenal, and also would differentiate Carthage from Kushite mercenary camps even more

And then those buildings could really be embassies as opposed to mercenary camps - to explain as the situation was in a23, and is in a24 there is only difference in semantics of the name - this would give the whole new meaning to the concept of "embassy" in Carthaginian civilisation, and the limit would not affect it because barracks are unlimited anyway

I think this would be the best solution to this problem - Carthaginian barracks cost 200 wood and 100 stone witch is too expensive for only archer and spearman, but it would in this case make the cost of the structure more reasonable 

I think it is not fair to have a building that lets you train only 2 basic units and no champs  to cost the same as for example Kushite barracks that give an option for sword/spear/pike/archer/archer champions or better yet - Macedonian or Ptolemie which also lets players train mercenaries that also costs the same price - if this on the video is implemented everything would make more sense in regards to the price of buildings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fatherbushido said:

I don't think we have added code to support that, I'll check.

28 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

<RequiredClasses datatype="tokens"> will work? (in player.xml)

This works correctly. I just don't get the nice tooltip message that tells me what to build to unlock the unit. 

10 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

Yes, see:

I have been playtesting this and it really gives Carthaginians a special feel. Allow these Embassies to be able to be built in Allied territory for good measure (makes sense). And this can be added to the core game, IMHO. It should be done sooner rather than later so it can be balanced out. @borg-

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, fatherbushido said:

Oh sorry :-)

I had opened that discussion (among others) back in 2017:

To be more precise, there wasn't really a concept of mercenary in the initial_design* of that game.

The notion appeared among the years of the development of that game, with different meaning: artistic, names, technologies, structures...

Some experiments were done, more in DE ("delenda est") than in EA ("public"). Around 2017 there were some big and nice art commits importing the green portraits from DE mods, so we tried to fit with it. There wasn't any guideline in the team around that concept, so basically there were just not discussed fix around that idea at the time, in random directions (put those things in green, reduce their cost, use a technology, oh a mercenary champion now...). Note that it happened even if there was someone in charge of the gameplay at that time (which is still in charge if I am not wrong) and also big plan from the project leader (which is still in charge if I am not wrong) about the game design that I don't know if they were done or followed.

In the initial design of 2004, which was considered to be some kind of flexible "let's design and follow that", there was a concept of tribes, reflected in art and names of units to show the diversity of armies and "civilizations" of that time. So there wasn't a "Mercenary" class.

Sum up:

- nuke the mercenary concept

- if units are duplicates, adjust their costs and combat stats

- embassies are unlocking structures

What was there before, I mean was there something planned on the team forums?

What I had suggested was at least thought or planned before? , My idea comes from Warcraft 3, AoE 3 and RT I

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/03/2021 at 2:11 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I have been playtesting this and it really gives Carthaginians a special feel.

Nice!

I guess that this kind of special feel was the initial purpose of having different "civilizations" (even if exaggerating or simplifying history or abstracting "reality").

Edited by fatherbushido
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1