Big Site Of Names

Behind the Name

Here's an interesting site I found on my web travels (or the DGDN forums for that matter). It has names from many languages plus it explains the meaning behind them. It even has names from various mythologies and ancient languages. Now I can say that my name (Randy) loosely translates into Randolf or "rimwolf". :brow:

Special thanks to akya for giving a link to this site from DGDN. :P

yeah-i like that site :P

From Behind the name my name means:From the Greek name Alexandros, which meant "defending men" from Greek alexein "to defend, help" and aner "man" (genitive andros). Alexander the Great, King of Macedon, is the most famous bearer of this name. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. This was also the name of emperors of Russia, kings of Scotland and Yugoslavia, and eight popes. Also, Sir Alexander MacKenzie was an explorer of the north and west of Canada in the 18th century.

I also have a friend whos job is name researcher. Heres what he told me about mine :brow:

Alexander

Defender of man:Greek praised for his candour and honesty being industrious an dhard working, makes for an excellent manager of people he is adventurous, loving a challenge and a testing of himself to do his best, stepping ofrward and being a gentleman, giving that helping hand, asking for only a smile and a thankyou in return.

Both of those fit me, so watch out. I am your defender!

From a third source (also a researcher) was the same, but says I have a great mind for business, marketing and communication, but is not to be messed with (pretty true according to my mates)

Michel:

French form and German pet form of MICHAEL. Michel de Notredame, also known as Nostradamus, was the 16th-century French astrologer who made predictions about future world events.

Micheal:

From the Hebrew name Miyka'el which meant "who is like God?". This was the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

no wonder I like RTS games (it's in my name :brow::P)

MANUEL m English, Spanish, Portuguese

Pronounced: MAN-yoo-el (English), mawn-WEL (Spanish), mawn-oo-EL (Portuguese)

Short English form of EMMANUEL, as well as the Spanish and Portuguese normal form. This was the name of two kings of Portugal and two Byzantine emperors

EMMANUEL m Biblical, French, English

Pronounced: e-man-WEL (French), e-MAN-yoo-el (English)

Means "God is with us" in Hebrew. This was the foretold name of the Messiah in the Old Testament.

GOD IS WITH US???

* tempts to change name *

KLAAS   m   German, Dutch

Low German and Dutch short form of NICHOLAS

NICHOLAS   m   English, French

Pronounced: NI-ko-las (English), nee-ko-LA (French)

From the Greek name Nikolaos which meant "victory of the people" from Greek nike "victory" and laos "people". Saint Nicholas was a 4th-century bishop who, according to legend, saved the daughters of a poor man from lives of prostitution. He is now known as Santa Claus, the bringer of Christmas presents. He is the patron saint of children, sailors and merchants, and Greece and Russia. Nicholas was also the name of two czars of Russia and five popes.

Some etymologists (or whatever that is in English) also think Klaas, Klaus or whatever, comes from the Roman Claudius. Cool, the name of my favourite Roman emperor :brow:

BERND   m   German

Short form of

BERNHARD   m   German

German form of

BERNARD   m   English, French

Pronounced: bur-NARD (English), ber-NAR (French)

Derived from the Germanic element bern "bear" combined with hard "brave, hardy". This was the name of several saints, including Saint Bernard of Menthon who built hospices in the Swiss Alps in the 10th century, and Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, a 12th-century theologian and Doctor of the Church. Another famous bearer was George Bernard Shaw, a playwright and essayist from Ireland.

now there you go - beware the Bear(nd) :brow:

suilad

-Bernd

Kewl. Just found soem more on mine.

Alex, Alec, Alexa, Alexander:

Defender of man, he his honest, honourable (i think thats the sam ehting, but its what the site said) hard working, peaceful within himself and generally a kind person, but can snap fierce in an instant. He has courage and shall not back down in the heat of a battle, and is known to think in ways different to the norm.

Mine gets better and better, not sure about anybone else, but do ytou guys find your names to be true to their meaning? I do :brow:

well here is my name:

JOSHUA m English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAW-shu-wa, JAW-shwa

From the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua

Hmmm.... My name means "God is Salvation", interesting.

Special thanks to akya for giving a link to this site from DGDN. :)

hehe...uw :)

AMY f English

Pronounced: AY-mee

Derived from Old French aimée meaning "beloved".

closes I got to akya was this :

AKI m,f Japanese

Means either "autumn" or "bright" in Japanese.

AKUA f African

Means "born on Wednesday" in Akan.

I also have another character I created :Yukiko Phuong

PHUONG f Vietnamese

Means either "phoenix" or "direction" in Vietnamese.

YUKIKO f Japanese

Means "snow child" in Japanese.

ADAM   m   English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Romanian, Biblical

Pronounced: A-dam

This is the Hebrew word for "man". It could be ultimately derived from Hebrew adam meaning "to be red", referring to the ruddy colour of human skin, or from Assyrian adamu meaning "to make". According to Genesis in the Old Testament Adam was created from the earth by God (there is a word play on Hebrew adamah "earth"). He and Eve were supposedly the first humans, living happily in the Garden of Eden until Adam ate a forbidden fruit given to him by Eve.

Hmm who doesn't this describe? But I think the assyrian nature of the name represents a large part of my character :)

MATTHEW m English, Biblical

Pronounced: MATH-yoo

English form of Matthaios, which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name Mattithyahu which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles (a tax collector). He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

HeHe that's me.