A24 feedback.

Asger

I'm experiencing a weird bug with camera panning on a24. Putting the cursor at the top and left sides of the screen pans the camera, but if I put the cursor too "far" on the right and bottom sides then panning stops. There's a certain zone at the edge of the screen where it works, but in general panning in those directions is broken. Has anyone else experienced this?

(Let me know if there's a better place to put bugs like this.)

Edit: tested on a different laptop and it's working, so maybe just need to tweak something on the machine

Edited by dpikt

Of course it's good that one can configure hotkeys now, but this will look very confusing and hard to understand to newbies. In A23 we had descriptions for all the hotkeys, that has gone. Plus, the new surface is not translated.

My suggestion: Bring the description back and implement the autociv-mod, which delivers one additional surface for changing hotkeys.

That the mods autociv and fgod don't work anymore is an unpleasant regression. All mods which are feature mods without changing the game too much could be implemented.

• Like 1

Some issues and stuff:

1) Spectators are able to rejoin a game even if late observer joins are disabled. Basically, an observer who was kicked from a match can rejoin despite him theoretically not being allowed to by the setting. I didn't test if an observer who simply left a match is able to rejoin despite late joins being disabled.

2) On normal buildings you can set the garrison point to inside of the building, so the trained units are instantly garrisoned. This is not possible on warships, which means that Persian and Athenian ships which train units must find a shoreline for the units to spawn and then manually garrison them.

3) I'm not currently a big fan of the outpost changes. The garrisoned unit being vulnerable feels weird and with how little vision bonus the outpost provides it's better to just patrol the unit. If this is kept the vision bonus should be increased from 20 to atleast 40+, though I'd rather go back to how the outposts used to work and maybe make them a slight bit weaker hp wise.

4) Unit rotation times have an unintended consequence that reduces incentive for early aggression. So, while food gather rates remain about the same wood gather rate is considerably slowed down, which leads to players creating far fewer farms and also requiring fewer units gathering extra berries. That makes it much more difficult to find value in an early rush as the woodline will be more reinforced and the smaller food economy is easier to protect with the Civic center or house garrisoning. (Not sure what's the best way to go about this one)

Also some things I think are important to become part of the base game in A25.

1) Building creation and selection hotkeys. The groundwork has already been done with the hotkey editor and these are probably the most important hotkeys for any RTS game to have.

2) Specific unit training hotkeys. Currently which unit you train with the hotkeys is tied to their order in the selected buildings. It'd be great if we were able to set a specific hotkey to each unit. So a citizen skirmisher will always be trained with the same hotkey no matter whether he is first in the selection or last.

That's about all that came to my head at this moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ValihrAnt said:

1) Spectators are able to rejoin a game even if late observer joins are disabled. Basically, an observer who was kicked from a match can rejoin despite him theoretically not being allowed to by the setting. I didn't test if an observer who simply left a match is able to rejoin despite late joins being disabled.

Rejoin is not the same as late join :)

if you want them to not come back, use /ban instead of /kick :) that should solve it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Player of 0AD said:

Adding Units/Buildings to control groups by shift seems to be buggy now, often it doesn't work

please check settings, there is new option allowing for entities to be in multiple groups and see if that helps, if not can you please describe what's wrong? 

My opinion:

-Very laggy.

-Wood eco make game slower and it's hard to rush so games are almost always very long.

-Archers / archers cav very unbalanced; slingers / skirmishers do nothing against them. Also fire cav.

-Maps size are too big or too small for classic 4v4 tg.

hotkeyError.jpg.292369ab1c721e246ddd8389594cc782.jpg

I am having issues with the new hotkey menu.

My guess is that a24 doesn't like my "<>\" key between "Shift" and "W" on AZERTY. The issue is that once I try to save it as hotkey, the function break down and I am unable to use it anymore.

I might be missing part of the explanation but I was wondering if this could make sense ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, faction02 said:

I am having issues with the new hotkey menu.

What is the number at the bottom of the start page?  There was such a problem, but it was fixed with [24931],

The version available to download on the website is 24937. Could it be that you are still using an older version, perhaps even a release candidate?

1999638428_Screenshot2021-02-24at04_14_55.thumb.jpg.dc5506864d0cc83dc90808e04395e005.jpg

Edited by Langbart

UI stuff:

1. Too small buttons, it sometimes is hard to click (multiple players complaining about this)

2. lack of their favourite mods changing the UI (something @Freagarach noticed in the lobby chat)

Gameplay:

1. Multiple complaints about the game feeling slower.

Edited by Asger
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Angen said:

looks like more players have now big monitors :)

I have a 4k 49" screen resolution for my pc and the fonts are too small to read. I suggest an interface scale option or a resolution option for fullscreen. I know that the game scales with windows' scaling but I dont want to use windows' scaling.

I can play it fine (without my eyes hurting) only when I change my windows resolution to 1080p.

Edited by DjTeo

10 hours ago, Langbart said:

What is the number at the bottom of the start page?  There was such a problem, but it was fixed with [24931],

The version available to download on the website is 24937. Could it be that you are still using an older version, perhaps even a release candidate?

1999638428_Screenshot2021-02-24at04_14_55.thumb.jpg.dc5506864d0cc83dc90808e04395e005.jpg

Thanks for your answer.

I have just uninstalled/downloaded/reinstalled 0ad, using the direct download link for windows on: https://play0ad.com/download/win/.

179338215_Capturedcran2021-02-24144105.jpg.50c40608dd5e978aad0b8dd9df649930.jpg

I have run the file downloaded today, the version that I get is the following one:

270529103_Capturedcran2021-02-24144953.jpg.7ba9b607015101e8838a63bc0bcd43d4.jpg

Edited by faction02

I got this time resources full and build all Building. But need to wait many Minutes before was enabled, press the button, to start building to Phase 3.

In my desperation I built a rather useless Military Colony here. A storehouse would have had the same effect on this forest. I dont unerstand looks like a bug for me.

https youtu.be 0Ek2GIFdrbM

Its a really short replay.

2021-02-24_0007.zip

Edited by seeh

20 hours ago, Angen said:

please check settings, there is new option allowing for entities to be in multiple groups and see if that helps, if not can you please describe what's wrong? 

Dont think that it has anything to do with the new setting.

The problem is: If you release shift now a nanosecond before releasing the number, then it will immediately trigger the number command, which is chosing the selection. In A23 you had more time to release the number which was helpful. Can someone confirm and fix?

Another annoyance: Garrisoning plus deselecting via alt+ctrl+rightclick does not work anymore at all.

16 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

The problem is: If you release shift now a nanosecond before releasing the number, then it will immediately trigger the number command, which is chosing the selection. In A23 you had more time to release the number which was helpful. Can someone confirm and fix?

I can confirm that, it's the new expected behaviour, which fixes other (unrelated) issues with hotkeys.
However this remains fixable by fixing the control group behaviour to work more like normal selection.

I made #6064 to fix this for A25.

In the meantime, just release the # first.

16 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Another annoyance: Garrisoning plus deselecting via alt+ctrl+rightclick does not work anymore at all.

That seems weird, are you sure?

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wraitii said:

I can confirm that, it's the new expected behaviour, which fixes other (unrelated) issues with hotkeys.
However this remains fixable by fixing the control group behaviour to work more like normal selection.

It might be expected behaviour but is a desirable behaviour? This means that any and every hotkey that combines two key presses is bound to have side effects in the case having another hotkey with one of those key presses. I don't think it good but I can see this is a pain to fix. :(

• Like 1