Release Candidate 3 - Alpha 24: Xšayāršā

Stan`

Greetings everyone,

The new and hopefully final release candidate (RC) is here!

Revision: rP24933

Windows: https://releases.wildfiregames.com/rc/0ad-0ad-0.0.24rc3-24933-alpha-win32.exe

MacOS: https://releases.wildfiregames.com/rc/0ad-0ad-0.0.24rc3-24933-alpha-osx64.dmg

All RCs are available here: https://releases.wildfiregames.com/rc. The one you want is 0ad-0.0.24rc3-24933-alpha-**

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING & TESTING

The RC installer will overwrite the current installed version.

• The RC will use your current config including mods, so make sure to disable EVERYTHING (fgod, autociv, and badosu's mods are not supported)
  • You might get warnings about hotkeys, we redesigned completely the system, so you might have to fix some of them (you may want to backup your config file if your intend to play A23B again
  • It goes without saying but even though we are really close to a release, this is an experimental version.
  • macOS 10.11 and below are no longer supported.
  • windows XP and Vista are no longer supported.

If you want to help more you can also perform those steps

1. Launch a random game
  2. Launch a skirmish.
  3. Connect to the lobby
  4. Play on the lobby with someone
  5. Launch Atlas and try things out there
  6. Open Unit tests demo (To see if there any breakage in displaying entity's) (It's in scenarios)
  7. Try mods through modio only. (A23B MODS WILL NOT WORK)
  8. Enable feedback and see if it works (Main menu)
  9. Connect to and use mod.io
  10. Test replaying new games
  11. Test Screenshots (F2)
  12. Test Big Screenshots (Maj+F2)
  13. Test hotkeys
  14. Test Saving and loading a game.
  15. Test Quickload/Quicksave
  16. If you need any help ping me :)

And of course you can play games with the RC.

CHANGELOG:

• Like 3

I found no major bugs. Minor things are:

* Windows is offended that "publisher is unknown" and treats it as a security risk /wants to block the installation

* Some strings are cut off in the summary page, because they are too long (language: German, afaik there is already a ticket for this)

* The orientation of the starting CC seems to be different from a23? I had in mind that is was previously always facing toward the starting camera position. This is no longer the case (not sure if this is intentional, or if it just depends on the map)

screenshot0017.png

screenshot0018.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maroder said:

* The orientation of the starting CC seems to be different from a23? I had in mind that is was previously always facing toward the starting camera position. This is no longer the case (not sure if this is intentional, or if it just depends on the map)

Just depends on the map :)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

I'm sorry to say it, but the German translation contains a lot of mistakes. For example skirmishers are falsely translated as spearmen.

Well you can fix it for the next version https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/search/?q=source_text%3Askirmisher+target_language%3Ade

https://www.transifex.com/wildfire-games/search/?q=source_text%3Ajavelineer+target_language%3Ade

Probably something @Nescio might want to unify

Let's see.

Why have the lifepoints of the spartan hero Agis been reduced by 50%? The extra points have been his only bonus! Wouldn't Agis be super pointless then, because Leonidas is clearly much better without any disadvantage?

All in all there are too many changes of the game imho. A good civ balance cannot be easily achieved if the game gets turned into another game like now.

32 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Why have the lifepoints of the spartan hero Agis been reduced by 50%

If I recall correctly, hero HP have been standardised to 1000.

33 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

All in all there are too many changes of the game imho. A good civ balance cannot be easily achieved if the game gets turned into another game like now.

All gameplay changes are discussed at https://code.wildfiregames.com and you're free to give your opinion on any diff there.

Keep in mind that this is the first release in 2.5 years, so it's a bit exceptional.

• Like 2

keep in mind that it is a job that is constantly working. a24 is still far from what we imagined in the end. for a25 he will have a specific aura, but not everything was possible for a24. particularly i don't care about not having all civilizations balanced now, as i said this was not the main focus for a24, we had a lot of "problems" in the queue, anyway as civilizations are very balanced that a23

Has not been forgotten, it’s just not a priority for a24 and it’s not something we’re going to change in this current pre-release state.

Understand that one error does not replace another. The fact that he does not have an aura does not mean that he must have more health than the other heroes. We fixed a mistake that was extra health, for a25 we will give it a more interesting aura.

Edited by borg-
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

So Agis simply got forgotten. I understand.

It was not forgotten, people have raised concerns over hero standardization multiple times.

All other aspects of the game are better now at least. And I'd rather have less hero abuse than a more rounded hero balance, so it's fine by now. And something that can be iterated over.

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stan` said:

Why me? Anyway, I've now standardized the German translation of “Javelineer” to Speerwerfer (instead of Speerkämpfer). :)

1 hour ago, wraitii said:

If I recall correctly, hero HP have been standardised to 1000.

1 hour ago, Player of 0AD said:

Have extra costs of elephant and cav heros been taken into consideration when reducing their lifepoints to 1000?

18 minutes ago, badosu said:

It was not forgotten, people have raised concerns over hero standardization multiple times.

Actually, healer and infantry heroes now have 1000 health, cavalry 1200, elephants 1500. Elephant heroes inflict more damage too (in A23 their damage per second was much lower than that of champion elephants). What has been standardized is that all heroes now have a training time of 50 s and cost 0 population. More important than health is their aura(s), which vary greatly in effectiveness. Heroes weren't balanced in previous alphas at all, however, in A24 heroes can be trained only once each, thus unbalanced heroes are now much less of a problem.

20 minutes ago, badosu said:

All other aspects of the game are better now at least.

Thank you, that's nice to know.

• Like 3

hi thanks.

i have little problem in looking Replay with 24928. normally you don't use this configuration - maybe.

how reproduce:

1. 1v1 game against AI
  2. save all 30 Minutes or so
  3. (loose the game. maybe)
  4. look the replay
  5. load the game, 30 minutes before game endet
  6. (win the game. maybe not important step)
  7. look the replay (the second replay)
  8. you will see you loose the game (you not move, but your AI)

you could see this behavior here:

Edited by seeh

yes,
thats because replay is only set of commands given by the player and there is no data about from which point the game started so replays always start from the fresh map.
when you load the game, file with commands for the replay starts from scratch so basicly saying replays of loaded games are unusable and it is know issue.

it tries to execute commands given by the player but since they are from the time ahead, they will not match or not execute at all, because such entities will not exist at the time of the replay.

ai commands are always recomputed at the real time so thats why it looks like it is working for her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

Why me? Anyway, I've now standardized the German translation of “Javelineer” to Speerwerfer (instead of Speerkämpfer). :)

That's definitly better, Speerkämpfer sounds like a melee unit, while Speerwerfer (literally Spearthrower) makes it clear that it's a ranged unit :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nescio said:

Why me? Anyway, I've now standardized the German translation of “Javelineer” to Speerwerfer (instead of Speerkämpfer).

I believe skirmishers and javelineers designate the same unit and thus should be the same :)

And since you like consistency...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stan` said:

I believe skirmishers and javelineers designate the same unit and thus should be the same :)

And since you like consistency...

Yes, I certainly do like consistency! :) However, the generic names in the simulation/templates/units/* files tend to reflect the specific name in the same file; hence why e.g. a spearman is called “Athenian Hoplite” and a javelineer “Thracian Peltast”.

two little thinks if your not a player (for e.g. watching replay or spec or so)

- with Alt + Tab you could look at sumary
-- in A23 it remembers the Tab (i usally use charts)
-- in A24 it not remember. could you please config this as before?

if i press enter in other apps. for e.g. open Firefox from ubuntu start-manu, remember 0AD capture this and opens the chat GUI. could you pleas disable that? (this is in A23 and A24)
I am Using Ubuntu.

Edited by seeh

1 hour ago, azayrahmad said:

Hi,

When I run simulation in Atlas involving two syntagmas, I get this error occassionally. Is this normal?

gambar.thumb.png.ad6f92344632f38240a8427b95ec35bb.png

Known bug. Happens in Atlas when changing the civ and starting the simulation. I don't know how hard it is to fix or whether there is a ticket for it. It's not new though so maybe something for A25.

1 hour ago, seeh said:

two little thinks if your not a player (for e.g. watching replay or spec or so)

- with Alt + Tab you could look at sumary
-- in A23 it remembers the Tab (i usally use charts)
-- in A24 it not remember. could you please config this as before?

if i press enter in other apps. for e.g. open Firefox from ubuntu start-manu, remember 0AD capture this and opens the chat GUI. could you pleas disable that? (this is in A23 and A24)
I am Using Ubuntu.

Have you tried configuring your hotkeys?