What Do You Hate About School ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Prophet, I agree. All of my last year teachers owned (still on 4 weeks more holidays).

They knew alot about the subject (the difference between aussie and us skewls :brow: ) and always made it enjoyable, set gaosl rewards.

Take my history/commerce teacher for example. For 90% of our history lessons we were out playing soccer 'so we could compare it to medievil sports' lol. Somehow we all passed. Rulesin the classroom were also established, eg

a)Point and laugh at everybody that walks past the window (darn they get confused)

b)Bag out ........ at least 3 times a lesson (this was usually me as I pissed him off :P

etc etc. It is the teacher that makes a subject enjoyable.

I never liked to go to school, especially because you had to study a lot of things you didn't choose for because our lessons were pretty broad. Maybe also because I made the wrong choice once, maths that is. Actually I would have preferred languages much more, but once I realized that it was too late to change.

Also had to get up at 6am and I was back home around 5-6pm. Well now I have to get up a lot later, but that's even too early after I lived through that hell (I'm a night person, not a morning person) :brow:

I hate the standardization of the American public school system. I suppose any other type of public school system wouldn't really be feasible though. Whenever government controls something on a wide scale it becomes standardized.

Anyways, I've always thought public schools could benefit from a lot more emphasis on creative thinking and individual learning than what the current trend of standardized testing, proficiency levels, classes and distinctions offer. Schools focus too much on the grade of the student and the ranking of the student and competing with numbers, whereas I've always thought learning should be a more intuitive, organic experience.

But those are just my random ramblings :/

Well I can't complain about our school system though (public school under government control). We saw tons of stuff, we were taught to have a critic mind and to not copy someone's opinion like that, we had real-life experiences with many things, not just theory but also practice, etc. The system is standardized here but not fanatically, teachers and students have a lot of freedom and numbers isn't the only thing that counts.

But still, I didn't like it, but that's just me I suppose, I can't say many negative things about the system though. Compared to our neighbour countries our high school level is very high, so must be the system imo. Same for universities; everyone can go to university regardless of the money you have (poor people can enter for free), you don't need to do what they call in Germany an abitur or an exam to enter university (except for 2 or 3 courses like medical science and civil engineer), you only need to have finished your highschool. But the level is very high, 40% passes the first year, and according to a recent research our most prominent universities, Leuven and Ghent, are respectively on number 9 and 10 of the best universities in the world.

So if you want to study abroad come here, it's cheap, good, and next year most courses will be taught in English :brow: