Hello, I'm new here, asking some things

Anamuraalententa

Hello! I'm new here, although I knew of the existence of this game some time ago. I would like to ask some questions :)

- I see there are many civilizations that are very similar, like many roman ones, I wonder about this decision. I suppose to make the game feel more historically accurate, but wouldn't it be better to add more variety of civilizations from other parts of the world? I have seen mods including chinese and mesoamerican, but what about other cultures like... japanese? any from Oceania? any from North America?

- I have been reading about modding and I'm curious about it because I'm developing some fantasy cultures inspired in real cultures and I wonder if I could create a mod for it, but would it be breaking the game? I know mods are optional, and I think I saw someone mention in comments about creating a futuristic civilization, so I am a bit confused, is this game supposed to be historically accurate or it can also accept fantasy civilizations as mods?

- How is the development of the game going? 

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anamuraalententa said:

Hello! I'm new here, although I knew of the existence of this game some time ago. I would like to ask some questions :)

- I see there are many civilizations that are very similar, like many roman ones, I wonder about this decision. I suppose to make the game feel more historically accurate, but wouldn't it be better to add more variety of civilizations from other parts of the world? I have seen mods including chinese and mesoamerican, but what about other cultures like... japanese? any from Oceania? any from North America?

- I have been reading about modding and I'm curious about it because I'm developing some fantasy cultures inspired in real cultures and I wonder if I could create a mod for it, but would it be breaking the game? I know mods are optional, and I think I saw someone mention in comments about creating a futuristic civilization, so I am a bit confused, is this game supposed to be historically accurate or it can also accept fantasy civilizations as mods?

- How is the development of the game going? 

Thank you!

You can create any type of mod you want to, there are actually a few fantasy mods already (Hyrule Conquest, Ponies Ascendant and some others).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anamuraalententa said:

I have seen mods including chinese and mesoamerican, but what about other cultures like... japanese? any from Oceania? any from North America?

4 hours ago, Anamuraalententa said:

I know mods are optional, and I think I saw someone mention in comments about creating a futuristic civilization, so I am a bit confused, is this game supposed to be historically accurate or it can also accept fantasy civilizations as mods?

Mods can do whatever they want :-). 0ad Empires Ascendant, the mainline game also called 'vanilla', strives for historical accuracy from the period between 300bc-300ad.

In this case I don't think you'll find too many other factions to incorporate in a compatible manner (xiongnu and han certainly are), but I'd love to know if there are.

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, badosu said:

0ad Empires Ascendant, the mainline game also called 'vanilla', strives for historical accuracy from the period between 300bc-300ad.

c. 500 BC – 1 BC.

7 hours ago, Anamuraalententa said:

Hello and welcome to the forums!

japanese? any from Oceania? any from North America?

In 0 A.D.'s timeframe there were no interactions between Eurasia and the Americas or Oceania, therefore such civilizations won't be included into the default distribution.

However, they (and others) can be added via mods. Terra Magna adds a few civilizations from other parts of the world, Millennium A.D. some from the AD 500–1000 timeframe, and Hyrule Conquest dozens from the Legend of Zelda.

0 A.D. is free and open-source software and designed to be easily modifiable. While quality, consistency, and historical accuracy matter for the public version (base game), there are no limitations on what is acceptable for mods; you can do whatever you like, and are more than welcome to create fantasy things. :)

• Like 2

Welcome!

8 hours ago, Anamuraalententa said:

I see there are many civilizations that are very similar, like many roman ones, I wonder about this decision.

Many Roman factions? I think you are confusing the Hellenistic factions with the only Roman faction in the game.

There are two Greek cities as factions: Sparta and Athens.

There are three Hellenistic kingdoms related to the conquest of Alexander the Great: the Macedonian Kingdom (i.e. the homeland of Alexander), the Ptolemaic Kingdom (Egypt under the rule of a Hellenistic dynasty) and the Seleucid Empire (Persia and Anatolia under the rule of a Hellenistic dynasty).

The two Hellenistic dynasties in Egypt and Persia are due to the break-up of the Macedonian Empire following Alexander's death. I suggest you to check wikipedia's article about the Diadochi (aka the successors):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diadochi

10 hours ago, Anamuraalententa said:

- I see there are many civilizations that are very similar, like many roman ones, I wonder about this decision.

One of the reasons behind there being so many Greek factions can be found by looking at how the game was initially designed.  There was first one single faction called the 'Hellenes.'  This faction had the choice to go with the city-state or Macedonian route, unlocking unique champions and heroes as a result.  The city-state option was a blend between Sparta and Athens oddly enough.  The then lead designer Mythos Ruler decided to design four city-state factions: Sparta, Athens, Syracuse, and Thebes.  Obviously only the first to were incorporated into the game.  The Macedonian option was changed to the successor states we know of: Macedonia, Seleucids, and Ptolemies.  The work is hardly done however:

• Like 1