Ranged units cancel attack

nifa

I noticed that ranged units seem to cancel their attack and start reloading again when you click on attacking the same enemy again. So giving the same command again actually tells them to start again instead of to proceed.

It's the same when given the command to attack someone else (for example when the other enemy is killed), in this case I can somehow understand it. Still it looks odd for example when the catapult is almost firing, the structure is destroyed and the loading is cancelled, just to start loading again and shooting to the building right next to it.

This leads to jumps during fights, everytime a unit gets killed a lot of animations are cancelled and restarted.

I noticed all this when watching a fight in slow motion that I randomly recorded. Also notice how the horse in the middle changes colour :D  I guess it's because of promotion

I don't know if this is really considered a bug, I'm sorry if you are already aware of that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks

28 minutes ago, nifa said:

I noticed that ranged units seem to cancel their attack and start reloading again when you click on attacking the same enemy again. So giving the same command again actually tells them to start again instead of to proceed.

So this could be fixed for a24?

Is there an easy way to keep the horse colour of units promoting to make the transition smoother?

Furthermore I noticed that when selecting a savegame in the saving menu, it is not possible to deselect it. Even when changing the name, it still asks you to overwrite the other file, I don't know if that's how it should be

@Freagarach@Stan` I tested again and I seriously think something went wrong with canceling attacks. The first video is from a23, the second from a24

The onager is loading, then you give the command to attack the other house -> the loading continues and it turns and shoots

The onager is loading, command to attack other house -> cancels loading

Is that intended? In this case it doesn't look too bad, but with other animations like the javelinist it looks really strange. and of course it changes gameplay too

• Thanks 1

We did a few changes for general sanity that probably explain this, indeed. I think the A23 behaviour ought to be considered buggy in general, to be honest - a catapult needs time to re-aim, arguably even a javelineer.

I agree with fixing the case where it's the same entity being targeted, though.

11 hours ago, wraitii said:

a catapult needs time to re-aim, arguably even a javelineer.

to reaim yes, but not to reload. If the unit already has an arrow or stone or whatever it's shooting, it's strange if it just disappears. Though I agree the a23 way wasn't perfect either, especially if the new target would be behind the unit. I guess making it depending on the angle between old and new target couldn't be a quick solution? Like below maybe 45 degree turn a23 way, otherwise cancel and reload?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to how it's done in a25!

14 hours ago, Freagarach said:

D3531 fixes the case of attacking the same entity.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, wraitii said:

We did a few changes for general sanity that probably explain this, indeed. I think the A23 behaviour ought to be considered buggy in general, to be honest - a catapult needs time to re-aim, arguably even a javelineer.

I agree with fixing the case where it's the same entity being targeted, though.

3 hours ago, nifa said:

to reaim yes, but not to reload. If the unit already has an arrow or stone or whatever it's shooting, it's strange if it just disappears. Though I agree the a23 way wasn't perfect either, especially if the new target would be behind the unit. I guess making it depending on the angle between old and new target couldn't be a quick solution? Like below maybe 45 degree turn a23 way, otherwise cancel and reload?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to how it's done in a25!

From a gameplay perspective, the A23 method is far superior, even if it looks "unrealistic." The A24 way also looks unrealistic but has the addition of negatively affecting gameplay.

• Like 1