profanity

sil-vous-plait

Just now, Yekaterina said:

Actually I think this is a good idea. You can monitor chats in the lobby through the Discord community server. 

Someone suggested to me that I should become a moderator today, and I think I can make some time each day, as I sit next to my PC for the majority of the time. I should be able to hear pings, if not, I can still see any discord chat or incoming emails. 

@Lion.Kanzen how do I become moderator?

You must talk with correct people...you know.

(Mis)using games to (try) compensate or live agression, is not nice and even more a problem with online games - a reason why I do not (yet) allow our kids to play online. I am very happy being able to play 0 A.D. with them offline (well, in our private LAN), but it makes me sad that developers might feel pushed to invest their free time for things like filters to ban people with bad behaviours. On the other hand, I agree that there is a red line and trespassing cannot be tolerated. Are there any curated lists of names in the Internet, comparable to blacklists for adblocking and such? Maybe that could help. Just my 2 Ct about this (from my perspective) a bit difficult topic. You all stay well. :)

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ceres said:

(Mis)using games to (try) compensate or live agression, is not nice and even more a problem with online games - a reason why I do not (yet) allow our kids to play online. I am very happy being able to play 0 A.D. with them offline (well, in our private LAN), but it makes me sad that developers might feel pushed to invest their free time for things like filters to ban people with bad behaviours. On the other hand, I agree that there is a red line and trespassing cannot be tolerated. Are there any curated lists of names in the Internet, comparable to blacklists for adblocking and such? Maybe that could help. Just my 2 Ct about this (from my perspective) a bit difficult topic. You all stay well. :)

Many banned players can return using second accounts and third accounts. I know players who have 5 or more accounts... although most of them are quite well mannered. This makes blacklist obsolete, instead, we might need to switch to a whitelist system for your children.

The whitelist should contain a list of trustworthy people and their ip address so that you can play with them without worrying about profanity. 

• Like 1

:blush: Oh, I didn't think to ask for any adjustments just for my (private) case, but I agree that this could indeed be helpful for many players, including grownups. :)

Are players' IPs disclosed to other players or only known to some central server?

Edited by Ceres

Just now, Ceres said:

:blush: Oh, I didn't think to ask for any adjustments just for my (private) case, but I agree that this could indeed be helpful for many players, including grownups. :)

I am also quite annoyed by profanity in the lobby, as you cannot control who joins it. I am a few hours away from becoming 18 and I can quite safely say that people of all age groups are fed up with smurfs, trolls and profanity. Ban won't work, we can only resort to whitelisting. 

Erm, let me think. I have an IP that never (or let's say very rarely) changes, and I want to keep it (very) private. Let's discuss via PM, if you don't mind. However, I call it a day for today - and wish you and everybody a nice remainder of the day/evening. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

I am also quite annoyed by profanity in the lobby, as you cannot control who joins it. I am a few hours away from becoming 18 and I can quite safely say that people of all age groups are fed up with smurfs, trolls and profanity. Ban won't work, we can only resort to whitelisting. 

Oh, I didn't see this yesterday. :blush:

Happy birthday, dear @Yekaterina
and all the best wishes to you!

:birthday:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

Happy birthday.

• Thanks 1

Well, I like @Yekaterina's idea of a white list system. To my understanding, nobody would then have to worry about how different cultures - not to say different people - define "profanity", e.g. politically incorrect, vulgar, offensive, sexually harrassing, (extreme)nationalist content, content of hate, etc., all reflected in different degrees by different people at different ages with different background.

If this is not the right place to further discuss it, we can open a new thread, e.g. 'Lobby white list' or similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceres said:

Well, I like @Yekaterina's idea of a white list system. To my understanding, nobody would then have to worry about how different cultures - not to say different people - define "profanity"

The problem with defining profanity would persist. I consider myself to be pretty civilized, but I'm also able to use language that would make sailors and prostitutes blush. In fact my stupid pixel people are regularly the recipients of the worst insults I ever utter. I guess 'oh darn it' would be acceptable while the somewhat stronger 'oh da_n it' would not. (The forum's nanny-bot actually changes the m to an r, as I've found out...) So ~we would still have to draw lines, define what profanity is.

• Haha 2

• 8 months later...