Does A24 Lag Less?

mysticjim

I would believe that the requirement for GPU has increased significantly. The demand for CPU would also rise as there will be more buildings and content. However, if you can run the game smoothly now (30fps) then it also should be able to run smoothly in Alpha 24, maybe at around 25 fps. The optimisations are good though, which reduces some load. I think any decently modern hardware should be able to handle it; my pc from 2017 can run it well, another laptop from 2013 with integrated graphics can also run the game smoothly at low graphics. The best solution is use a lightweight Linux distribution with the appropriate drivers. I would recommend Mint XFCE or Manjaro XFCE for gaming. 

The stress on your hardware really depends on your setting and the number of units you have trained in gameplay. Fighting units will massively decrease framerate, while idle units do not require much rendering. Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

They are Linux distributions that replace Widows and have much lighter system requirements and are very efficient.

Enjoy the Choice :)  

You can also install it side by side to Windows, so you have a dual boot system.

Btw the biggest boost is the used compiler. The Linux GCC creates a much better code than Micrsofts MSVC. On heavy graphics load I get fps increasements compared to Windows up to 30-50%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OptimusShepard said:

You can also install it side by side to Windows, so you have a dual boot system.

Btw the biggest boost is the used compiler. The Linux GCC creates a much better code than Micrsofts MSVC. On heavy graphics load I get fps increasements compared to Windows up to 30-50%.

How big are they and how do I install them?

Ubuntu has a good installer that can do it side-by-side with windows without having to mess around with partitions last time I tried (years ago), doubt they changed it: https://xubuntu.org/ (this is the lightest version of Ubuntu, distros come in many 'flavors')

That said, it's very different from windows and requires some effort understanding how it works. All in all it should be pretty friendly and you should be able to install 0ad using the graphical tools but requires some space and *might* require fiddling around to fix stuff. So I recommend to do it only if this is important for you and have some commitment.

This is a nice tutorial (Choose 'Install alongside' instead of separate partitioning): https://itsfoss.com/install-ubuntu-dual-boot-mode-windows/

Edited by badosu

Here is a complete guide to downloading 0AD Alpha 24 in Linux distributions made by my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-prK21m2XDI

Then if you do not know how to set up Linux you can either search for a installation tutorial on YouTube or, alternatively, you can install it in VirtualBox. VirtualBox offers a virtual environment in which you can experiment with the software. Check out my friend's tutorial here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfvNtiak9yI

You can download the Linux Mint ISO file from this website: 

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=286

Linux is generally lighter on hardware than Windows, so you can expect more frame rates. The performance of the VirtualBox machine will definitely be much worse than in real life. But if it is already acceptable in VirtualBox, then you are definitely set for real life installations. 

The performance of a Linux system depends highly on the desktop environment you are using. The desktop environment provides the graphical user interface that you interact with. Some desktop environments are designed to look pretty with cool animations, but this will increase the hardware demand (e.g. Gnome). Other desktop environments look less appealing but saves up much processing (e.g. XFCE, LXDE) so you can use these processing power on your games.  Most Linux distributions allow you to install multiple desktop environments and switch between them as you like. I would recommend you to choose Linux Mint with XFCE desktop as it is the lightest yet fully functional desktop. 

Different distributions also use different package managers (a bit like Apple Store or Microsoft Store). Linux Mint and any other Debian based distributions use apt. Manjaro and Arch derivatives use pacman. Fedora uses dnf. 

In terms of installing the game, I would recommend going to the terminal and type

sudo apt install 0ad

This is the command to install 0ad Alpha 23. For Alpha 24 please refer to the first video. Tell me if you would like to know what this command means; I can explain Linux in more detail if you want. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Imarok said:

Not really. I mean it's only a alpha cause we call it so. (We could as well already proclaimed it as beta :shrug:)

I think 'Beta' would be when the team is tired of adding new gameplay features and wants to focus on adding campaigns, fixing bugs/performance, and gameplay balancing. 

1 minute ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I think 'Beta' would be when the team is tired of adding new gameplay features and wants to focus on adding campaigns, fixing bugs/performance, and gameplay balancing. 

Not really. In theory a software is called "Beta" when it runs stable enough and has most of the needed features. (Which we already fullfill imho. The issue is that the change was gradually, so there never was a point at which we could pinpoint it and say "Now we're really in Beta". I guess we could just start calling it Beta when we run out of the letters of the alphabet. ;D)

17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Fun fact, we actually have list of tickets, marked as needed for beta.

Would there be a ticket for some terrain complexity, such as adding statuses or effects to various terrain textures? Good examples:

Ice terrains: Can't be built upon.

Farmland terrains: A grain gathering boost.