• Ya'uq Arabian god
    • Yaghūth Arabian gods
    • Yahweh Levantine (Canaanite) god
    • Yam Levantine (Canaanite) god
    • Yarhibol Arabian god
    • Yarikh Levantine (Canaanite) god
    • Yatha Arabian god
    • Yaunā, the Old Persian word for Ionians, Macedonians, and Greeks
    • Yavana which was the term used by Mauryas? to designate the Greek.
    • Yggdrasil the tree of life
    • Ynys Môn an island called Anglesey in English,
    • Yona which was the term used by Mauryas? to designate the Greek.
    • Yr Wyddfa, a famous mountain in Wales.
    • Ysbaddaden a giant of Welsh mythology.
    • άκινθος, mostly transcribed Hyacinth
    • Yangtze

This poll is closed to new votes

We also had a few developpers that prefered SVN, and it's generally way easier for non programmers (e.g artists) no rebase almost no merge conflicts. Commit = push.

Also worth noting that while a bit wonky arcanist can make it transparent, one can also use git-svn

2 hours ago, Nescio said:

It would be great to see the Britons reworked! Is a Brittonic (or Gaulish) name known, though? Welsh did not yet exist in 0 A.D.'s timeframe and Welsh is no longer used in game either, so why should we adopt a (modern) Welsh name for the next alpha?

Because there was multiple alpha with modern languages, like "Ides of March" instead of Idus Martiae, Osiris instead of ꜣsjr, Argonauts instead of Αργοναῦται. I don't think double standards should be a rule suddenly.

Furthermore, technically the ancient Britons DON'T have any writing system, so you are asking an impossible task since the alpha relies on an alphabetical character.

But on the matter of the word Ynys itself, yes I believe it was mostly pronounced the same way by ancient Britons since the pronunciation is mostly the same in Old Celtic languages and that the reconstructed proto-Celtic is something like this in IPA /ɨˈnˑɨs/ while in modern Welsh it is /ˈənɨ̞s/. So if we consider that the pronunciation is mostly the same, I see no issues.

Edit: Finally, Ynys Môn is an interesting historical reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_conquest_of_Anglesey

Edited by Genava55

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Now that D11 is in we could have a Britonnic campaign. Not sure how to collaboratively work on this though...

The conquest of Britannia by the Romans is probably out of frame (excepted if you include the Roman Empire lol).

Although there is an account from Caesar that the Suessiones had power over a large area including a part of Britannia during the reign of their king Diuiciacos (Diviciacus), 1st century BC. There is also the short campaign of Caesar in the British Isles (but the problem is the actual Romans are depicting Punic Wars, although it could be easily corrected for a campaign).

Else, there is the journey of Pytheas of Massalia. It could be a really beautiful way to introduce the game to new players through a tutorial.

YHWH is sacred to this day.

-_________________________________________________________________

I prefer Yāwān) was the fourth son of Noah's son Japheth according to the "Generations of Noah" (Genesis chapter 10) in the Hebrew Bible. Josephus states the traditional belief that this individual was the ancestor of the Greeks.

this is as the Greeks appear in the Hebrew version.

referred to as Ionian.

very similar to Mauryas and Persian.

• Yaunā, the Old Persian word for Ionians, Macedonians..
  • Yona which was the term used by Mauryas.

15 hours ago, wraitii said:

We probably should reset it a few weeks before release then, good point.

Yeah I think it is a bit too early for a poll. It will depend on the content of the changelogs. It is nice to have a list of the proposals although.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/02/2021 at 6:17 PM, mysticjim said:

Yoda - Jedi Master

Yoghurt - a food produced from the bacterial fermentation of milk

Yogi - an anthropomorphic cartoon bear. Who liked picnic baskets.

Yellow Bile -  a humor believed in medieval physiology to be secreted by the liver and to cause irascibility

Yellow Fever - an acute viral haemorrhagic disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes.

Yellow Weather Warning - Lowest level of warning for extreme weather conditions, below amber and red. Usually means there will be flooding in parts of Wales.

Yowsers - a slang amalgamation of 'yikes' and 'wowsers!' Popularised by the cartoon series, Scooby Doo. 

Yowsers, I just made a mess of my trousers - someone exclaiming in reaction to a recent unexpected/scary event that they may have soiled themselves as a result*

Yahoo

On 23/02/2021 at 1:17 AM, mysticjim said:

Yoda - Jedi Master

Yoghurt - a food produced from the bacterial fermentation of milk

Yogi - an anthropomorphic cartoon bear. Who liked picnic baskets.

Yellow Bile -  a humor believed in medieval physiology to be secreted by the liver and to cause irascibility

Yellow Fever - an acute viral haemorrhagic disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes.

Yellow Weather Warning - Lowest level of warning for extreme weather conditions, below amber and red. Usually means there will be flooding in parts of Wales.

Yowsers - a slang amalgamation of 'yikes' and 'wowsers!' Popularised by the cartoon series, Scooby Doo. 

Yowsers, I just made a mess of my trousers - someone exclaiming in reaction to a recent unexpected/scary event that they may have soiled themselves as a result*

yvon -- Dutch female name, celebrated in a song of mooi wark. Don´t dissappoint me, this forum is not full of barbarians.

My suggestions, not in any particular order:

Yama - Means "twin" in Sanskrit. This is the name of the Hindu god of death. He is also regarded as the first mortal being, or in other words, the first person to die. This name is related to Persian Jam.

Yewubdar - Means "beautiful beyond limits" from Amharic ውብ (wb) meaning "beautiful" and ዳር (dar) meaning "limit, horizon, frontier, shore".

Yaw - Means "born on Thursday" in Akan.

Or maybe: What was the name of Jesus? Yeshua, Yashua, or Y'shua? Yashua is not an undisputed form, but due to the absence of Hebrew vowels is variously rendered Yeshua or Y'shua or Yahshua. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rollieoo said:

My suggestions, not in any particular order:

Yama - Means "twin" in Sanskrit. This is the name of the Hindu god of death. He is also regarded as the first mortal being, or in other words, the first person to die. This name is related to Persian Jam.

Yewubdar - Means "beautiful beyond limits" from Amharic ውብ (wb) meaning "beautiful" and ዳር (dar) meaning "limit, horizon, frontier, shore".

Yaw - Means "born on Thursday" in Akan.

Or maybe: What was the name of Jesus? Yeshua, Yashua, or Y'shua? Yashua is not an undisputed form, but due to the absence of Hebrew vowels is variously rendered Yeshua or Y'shua or Yahshua. 

Yeh

MI think that more or less the name of Jesus comes in the following way because I studied it a little.

There are scholars who appeal that Matthew wrote his gospel directed the Hebrew people.

So quoting the Gospel of Matthew and adding things proper to the Hebrew, we see the following:

Hebrew/Aramaic version of the name Jesus is Yeshua, and yeshuah is a Hebrew word that means salvation. Speaking in Hebrew, the angel made a wordplay on the name of the child, “You shall call His name Yeshua, for He will save (yoshia) His people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21).

Basically the name Jesus is a late Hebrew Naramake version of the Hebrew name, Yehoshua like  Joshua/Yoshua english.

The Septuagint (LXX) Greek translation of the Hebrew Scriptures transliterated the Hebrew name Yehoshua/Yeshua into the closest phonetic approximation: Iesous (pronounced Yay-soos). The “us” suffix on the end of the name indicates to the Greek reader that the name belongs to a man. The church translated the Bible into Latin, and as the Latin pronunciation of the name made its way into English, the English consonant J replaced the Latin consonant Y; therefore, the name of the Savior became Jay-soos, which English speakers today pronounce as Je-sus. When the intervening languages of Greek and Latin are removed, the name Yeshua remains the closest and most accurate English.

By the way, it’s properly pronounced Y’shua, not YAH-shuah. Some teachers mistakenly suppose the Master’s name should properly be pronounced “YAH-shua,” thereby emphasizing the theistic element of His name. That’s not how Hebrew or Aramaic work. When people pronounce our Master’s name as YAH-shua, they demonstrate ignorance of biblical languages and Jewish nomenclature. If one feels it’s important to keep the theistic element of the name intact, the correct Hebrew version is Yehoshua, i.e., Joshua of Nazareth.

Yeshua or Y'shua (ישוע‎ with vowel pointing יֵשׁוּעַ‎ – yēšūă‘ in Hebrew) was a common alternative form of the name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ‎ ("Yehoshua" – Joshua) in later books of the Hebrew Bible and among Jews of the Second Temple period. The name corresponds to the Greek spelling Iesous (Ἰησοῦς), from which, through the Latin IESVS/Iesus, comes the English spelling Jesus.

Yeshua in Hebrew is a verbal derivative from "to rescue", "to deliver".[9] Among the Jews of the Second Temple Period, the Biblical Aramaic/Hebrew name יֵשׁוּעַ‎ Yeshua‘ was common: the Hebrew Bible mentions several individuals with this name – while also using their full name Joshua. This name is a feature of biblical books written in the post-Exilic period (Ezra, Nehemiah, and Chronicles) and was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, though Haggai and Zechariah prefer the spelling Joshua. Strong's Concordance connects the name יֵשׁוּעַ‎ Yeshua`, in the English form Jeshua (as used in multiple instances in Ezra, Nehemiah, and 1 and 2 Chronicles), with the verb "to deliver" (or, "to rescue").[9] It is often translated as "He saves," to conform with Matthew 1:21: "She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins" (NASB).

The name ישוע occurs in the Hebrew of the Old Testament at verses Ezra 2:2, 2:6, 2:36, 2:40, 3:2, 3:8, 3:9, 3:10, 3:18, 4:3, 8:33; Nehemiah 3:19, 7:7, 7:11, 7:39, 7:43, 8:7, 8:17, 9:4, 9:5, 11:26, 12:1, 12:7, 12:8, 12:10, 12:24, 12:26; 1 Chronicles 24:11; and 2 Chronicles 31:15, and also in Aramaic at Ezra 5:2. In Nehemiah 8:17 this name refers to Joshua son of Nun, the successor of Moses, as leader of the Israelites. Note that in earlier English (where adaptations of names of Biblical figures were generally based on the Latin Vulgate forms), Yeshua was generally transcribed identically to "Jesus" in English

20 minutes ago, lechoo said:

how about something easily written slash remembered like, say... um, "Starfish".(?)

No 

7 minutes ago, lechoo said:

IMO, names with heavy religious overtones are not particularly fitting to this endeavor.

The natural world provides a great deal of beauty and points of reference for the purposes at hand, If not starfish, maybe "elephant" in honor of both the game having elephants within it, and also tHe function of the alpha within the progression of development as kind of a load bearing entity.

elephant stencil.jpg

1- English did not exist 2000 years ago I have very bad news.

2- our game is a little anthropocentric.

3-What is the problem With religion. Whether they are Abramaic or of another kind?

4-We are thinking about 2000 years ago, we are not playing perspective The 21st century.

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

1 minute ago, lechoo said:

religion and language would seem to be separablEe issues.  perhaps a archaic word with less dogmatic/dIvise connotations, not to say i can'T love the endeavor whatever the case but just that i think most ppl in the modern world tend towards the secular with good reason.  i dont see the game as essentially religious in nature, nor history for that matter but perhaps there are other points of view.

Calling the people I believe your current civilization archaic seems to me to be much worse.

We are not better than our ancestors in fact we are more divisive.

Most have reverted to secular because they want to live a secular life because it is human nature to be secular.

Another point I am not in favor of giving a religious name to an Alpha in a game.

Series and respect the religions and faith of many people who believe in said religions.

Third, they are given the names that the team suggests, so I am afraid that your suggestion is not something that the team will take into account given.

We are just using the natural world as a mere object, If you want to give it a natural name, put it, for example, that of a tree that has already been a cult of worship of the Celtic tribes.

Art department spends very little time creating nature or will be animating animals,It is not our object of greater study in fact in this greater of greater study it is the human being it is the man it is anthropology.