• Ya'uq Arabian god
    • Yaghūth Arabian gods
    • Yahweh Levantine (Canaanite) god
    • Yam Levantine (Canaanite) god
    • Yarhibol Arabian god
    • Yarikh Levantine (Canaanite) god
    • Yatha Arabian god
    • Yaunā, the Old Persian word for Ionians, Macedonians, and Greeks
    • Yavana which was the term used by Mauryas? to designate the Greek.
    • Yggdrasil the tree of life
    • Ynys Môn an island called Anglesey in English,
    • Yona which was the term used by Mauryas? to designate the Greek.
    • Yr Wyddfa, a famous mountain in Wales.
    • Ysbaddaden a giant of Welsh mythology.
    • άκινθος, mostly transcribed Hyacinth
    • Yangtze

This poll is closed to new votes

0 A.D. release names start with the letter of the alphabet that corresponds to the release version. Alpha 22 was Venustas, Alpha 23 was Ken Wood, Alpha 24 was Xšayaṛša, and Alpha 25 will start with a Y !

As with previous releases, we give everyone the opportunity to propose release names.

Let us hear your best proposals! :mail:

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest the Greek hero Ὑάκινθος, mostly transcribed Hyacinth. The important Spartan festival Hyacinthia (Ὑακίνθια) is based upon this mythological persona.

Hyacinth was one of Apollo's lovers. He was tragically killed by Apollo, but "revived" afterwards as a flower. This flower was regarded as the most beautiful flower in Ancient Greek Culture. The concept of decay and renewal (Spring) is linked to this hero and the flower named after him.

• Like 2

Yoda - Jedi Master

Yoghurt - a food produced from the bacterial fermentation of milk

Yogi - an anthropomorphic cartoon bear. Who liked picnic baskets.

Yellow Bile -  a humor believed in medieval physiology to be secreted by the liver and to cause irascibility

Yellow Fever - an acute viral haemorrhagic disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes.

Yellow Weather Warning - Lowest level of warning for extreme weather conditions, below amber and red. Usually means there will be flooding in parts of Wales.

Yowsers - a slang amalgamation of 'yikes' and 'wowsers!' Popularised by the cartoon series, Scooby Doo. 

Yowsers, I just made a mess of my trousers - someone exclaiming in reaction to a recent unexpected/scary event that they may have soiled themselves as a result*

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Classical (Attic) Greek won't be of help in this case, since all words starting with an upsilon are actually aspirated (i.e. start with hy-). It's alien to Latin too. Nor do I expect much from Gaulish, since the few words that survived were written in Greek or Latin alphabets. Therefore we should look east: the y is used for transcribing many languages.

I'm suggesting Yaunā, the Old Persian word for Ionians, Macedonians, and Greeks, which seems to me a nice follow-up to Xšayāršā (Xerxes).

If, however, the Han make it into the next release (:)), then we can also use Chinese, giving more options to choose from.

• Like 4

Ysbaddaden, a giant of Welsh mythology.

Yr Wyddfa, a famous mountain in Wales.

Ynys Môn, an island called Anglesey in English, a place where there was a sanctuary and famous for the massacre perpetrated by the Romans on this island.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_conquest_of_Anglesey

In case the Britons got their re-work.

Edited by Genava55
  • Like 2

• Stan` pinned this topic
18 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Whoops :DGlad to see the song is indeed related.

Yes, Ynys is basically meaning island in modern Welsh. Inis is from old Welsh and old Irish. The name Mona is given by Roman accounts.

I am glad you like the song, this is an excellent band.

The problem with forum polls is that once you voted, you can't vote again. And more options will probably suggested in the coming months.

2 hours ago, Genava55 said:

Ysbaddaden, a giant of Welsh mythology.

Yr Wyddfa, a famous mountain in Wales.

Ynys Môn, an island called Anglesey in English, a place where there was a sanctuary and famous for the massacre perpetrated by the Romans on this island.

In case the Britons got their re-work.

It would be great to see the Britons reworked! Is a Brittonic (or Gaulish) name known, though? Welsh did not yet exist in 0 A.D.'s timeframe and Welsh is no longer used in game either, so why should we adopt a (modern) Welsh name for the next alpha?

3 minutes ago, Nescio said:

The problem with forum polls is that once you voted, you can't vote again. And more options will probably suggested in the coming months.

There is no point in waiting for months, ideally commit r24939 would have already contained the new name.

1 minute ago, wraitii said:

We probably should reset it a few weeks before release then, good point.

Then you should have a poll for a26 instead ;)

9 minutes ago, Nescio said:
2 hours ago, Genava55 said:

It would be great to see the Britons reworked! Is a Brittonic (or Gaulish) name known, though? Welsh did not yet exist in 0 A.D.'s timeframe and Welsh is no longer used in game either, so why should we adopt a (modern) Welsh name for the next alpha?

Now that D11 is in we could have a Britonnic campaign. Not sure how to collaboratively work on this though...

3 minutes ago, hyperion said:

There is no point in waiting for months, ideally commit r24939 would have already contained the new name.

Well if the list of features that are gonna make it into A25 are known then it could. Due to the very nature of this project it's a bit hard to tell.

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Well if the list of features that are gonna make it into A25 are known then it could. Due to the very nature of this project it's a bit hard to tell.

Well, how is the name of a24 related to a24? For a23 it's even obvious how it's not related. As for a25 nothing will trump campaign mode.

49 minutes ago, hyperion said:

As for a25 nothing will trump campaign mode.

While including campaign code in A25 will be a big step forward, I hope people don't get too excited about it, as yet there will be only 1 simple tutorial campaign available. The kind of campaigns that people will actually want and expect will be some ways off. *

*Speculation

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

14 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

While including campaign code in A25 will be a big step forward, I hope people don't get too excited about it, as yet there will be only 1 simple tutorial campaign available. The kind of campaigns that people will actually want and expect will be some ways off. *

Current plan is to have at least a tutorial campaign - hopefully something nice and scenarised.

Depending on how things go, we may release a 'preview' of the next Alpha so that other people can work on creating their own campaign with a better tool than SVN, which might be difficult for some.

----

Edit: that being said, yes, don't expect 5 full fledged campaigns :P That will come one time :) 

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

*Speculation

I play since a13, back then to my liking only two major features were missing to make it a complete game, one is the hotkey editor, the other campaign mode. Important is that they are available. Just like hotkey editor needs more love I don't doubt the same will be the case for campaigns.

2 minutes ago, wraitii said:

with a better tool than SVN

Actually what happened to the git migration that was decided upon many years ago?

5 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Actually what happened to the git migration that was decided upon many years ago?

I'm not sure we ever formally decided to migrate, but I guess 'reality ensued' :P

The problem is that SVN is much better than git at handling binary files, and we have a lot of them. It'd need a fair amount of reorganisation to switch, and so far we haven't really found a strong justification to do so.

Note however that development is mostly possible on git via the GitHub mirror, which is an improvement on what we had circa A23 :)