First try moddeling

On 05/02/2021 at 10:28 AM, DanW58 said:

Morover, never make any single channel add to more than 1.0 (or 255 if using char color notation).  Doing so makes that pixel in the texture set indicate a material that reflects more light energy than it receives, which is not physically possible.  Blender, unfortunately, entirely ignores this concern in its light/material pipeline.  Blender's pipeline is NOT physics based, no matter how much they repeat it is.

I suppose it's not because they don't want to, but because they can't. Since checking BRDF for every combination of pixels of different textures is a very complex task. I believe there's no fast solution in the whole production world of renderers. So by your measurements there is no production software with real PBR.

The FIRST RULE of scientific texturing is to never make the sum of diffuse and specular greater than white.

I suppose you mean 1.0 by white. Since it's not a color, a ratio of reflected/scattered and absorbed.

They should never add to more than 0.9, 0.9, 0.9, really, as even mirrors have trouble reflecting more than 90%.

You're just looking on them at very high angle :) I believe it's not hard to meet a 90%-95% mirror, especially with a metal back :)

This is because light reflecting off a colored metal that reflects diffusely, randomly, implies that it bounces two or three times before coming out, probably by entering and exiting a micro-cavity on the metal surface, and at each reflection it becomes MORE colored by the metal.

I think it's important to note for those who is unfamiliar with PBR, that the reflection is colored, because each collision of light with a surface absorbs a part of the light energy and absorbs differently for different wavelengths.

4 minutes ago, vladislavbelov said:

I think it's important to note for those who is unfamiliar with PBR, that the reflection is colored, because each collision of light with a surface absorbs a part of the light energy and absorbs differently for different wavelengths.

Exactly.  Metallic reflection colors light;  Fresnel reflection doesn't.  In the case of "diffuse materials", the color also results from multiple colored bounces, just as in metals, but the difference is that we don't have a specular (single bounce) color to compare with;  but it would be the square root or cubic root of the diffuse color if we could.

Applying this rule to metals, I cannot describe in words what a huge difference it makes.  I once made a model of an electric motor and used these rules for copper, bronze and gold parts in it, and people were going crazy like "That looks like a photograph!  How did you do it?"  It works THAT well, even though the difference is almost invisible.  Quite a contradiction.  If you look at the same rendering with diffuse = black it looks like "standard" representations of copper, bronze and gold;  but you change the diffuse to a very dark, almost black, 2nd or 3rd power of the specular color, and you can't almost see the difference, but it looks photographic.

Science delivers.

Yes, the rule is per-channel, no more than 1.0, preferably no more than 0.9.  In fact, I bet the problem with the Acropolis terrain is not only that it is close to white, but probably has some specular added to it.  Best thing that could be done with terrain is to not support a specular texture at all.  The only specularity from ground should be water (or polished granite), both of which are Fresnel reflections and therefore must be computed, and NOT come from a texture.

Looks nice :) You might want to change the doors though, are they two parts? Is there a doorknob? In case they are sliding doors, I think they should be on the outside, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to open them. You might want to remove the doorstep too

10 hours ago, Loki1950 said:

Stupid question what powers/moves the saw blades in that period.Man power would have a pit under the whole structure for the workers while other mills would use a water wheel.Lots of mills handled milling grain and sawing wood ;)

Enjoy the Choice :) 

this was the plan ...B)

watersawmill2.thumb.png.1769827653904c669eef6c38206287fd.png

watersawmill1.thumb.png.7faf3b0d2411bee802abab5f0d40560d.png

watersawmill3.thumb.png.1ab7502a5bcead61c308154be3dce8f2.png

watersawmill4.thumb.png.41163e6139f290090dfbd33033e06cd6.png

watersawmill.thumb.png.5abaa61c53f75d1819e62c9524533653.png

watersawmill6.thumb.png.9bee29f721db39b751f889cfdc033cd0.png

watersawmill7.thumb.png.c68c0bbf13cedc80a17b520164da64c2.png

watersawmill8.thumb.png.04f32ce379aa7f28e3b516d22e3d4731.png

watersawmill9.thumb.png.7c795103e6647e2dfeff93e59a3d954b.png

watersawmill10.thumb.png.ff3a1d818365608270692a3b29ddfc25.png