r24769 - Pause no longer mutes sound

hyperion

In A23 using the hotkey pause the music was paused as well, which allowed me to for instance take a phone call or do some other work which depends on sound. A simple example could be watch a video on a different virtual desktop.

"Background pause" refers to the window having lost focus? If so this IMHO should behave as I stated in the OP.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hyperion said:

In A23 using the hotkey pause the music was paused as well, which allowed me to for instance take a phone call or do some other work which depends on sound

Do you not have a 'mute' key on your keyboard? I see your use case, but I did not consider it worthwhile given that I assumed most keyboards would have a 'mute' key for these purposes. Maybe I was wrong.

The reason for the change, by the way, is that:

• pausing the music breaks the victory sound in SP (could be done differently) 
  • The game auto-pauses when you open the struct-tree (and a bunch of other things), which is annoying since it used to cut the music.

A simple example could be watch a video on a different virtual desktop.

I don't think I'm going to consider this a major use case, to be honest :P. You could just disable music then.

"Background pause" refers to the window having lost focus? If so this IMHO should behave as I stated in the OP.

It does, but on A23 that doesn't pause the music, nor on A24.

3 minutes ago, wraitii said:

The reason for the change, by the way, is that:

• pausing the music breaks the victory sound in SP (could be done differently) 
  • The game auto-pauses when you open the struct-tree (and a bunch of other things), which is annoying since it cuts the music.

I see, well, pausing the simulation and explicitly pausing the game are strictly speaking not the same.

6 minutes ago, wraitii said:

It does, but on A23 that doesn't pause the music, nor on A24.

Never relied on background pause, so personally don't care ;)

9 minutes ago, wraitii said:

I don't think I'm going to consider this a major use case, to be honest :P. You could just disable music then.

Well, the phone call could also be an internet call, was just making up an example here. I don't use pulse by the way.

56 minutes ago, hyperion said:

I see, well, pausing the simulation and explicitly pausing the game are strictly speaking not the same.
Well, the phone call could also be an internet call, was just making up an example here. I don't use pulse by the way.

Yeah that's a fair point I think, but I don't believe we need to change this further for A24 at this point. If you're playing 0 A.D., you probably can call back whoever called you since it's unlikely to be urgent work stuff :D

• Haha 1