Requesting/suggesting a change for skirmish maps

Grapjas

Please make skirmish maps have a fixed max number of players instead of just fixed. This way a skirmish map can be played with less players, but no more than designed. e.g. a 6 player skirmish map could be played with 4 players too, but not 8. The reason i request this is because an unassigned player will still be spawned, just not controlled.

Another reason i'm asking this is because i'm working on a script to give players random positions (with team sorting) on a skirmish map (just mine for now) instead of fixed positions. I'm nearly done with it but the issue described above remains. The max players change + my script should encourage more people to play skirmish maps without having the same positions (which can also give unfair advantage, and gets repetitive).

If there are maps that really need a fixed set of players they should be in the scenario department.

Once i'm done with my random position script i would actually volunteer to rework existing skirmish maps to include it (which does visually nothing to the maps). But thats probably for another thread.

Also wasnt sure where to make this thread but yeah here it is, lol.

10 minutes ago, Stan` said:

In case you'd want to be still able to capture other potential bases I guess.

Yes, I could see this as adding an interesting dynamic to, say, a 6-player skirmish map with 2 human players and 4 "unassigned" players. The 4 unassigned players can be "taken over" by the human players. And then you'd have the "Removed" option for those players (probably the majority) who don't want that dynamic.

3 hours ago, hyperion said:

Why do you need both Unassigned and Removed?

To add to stan's answer, an unassigned player is also useful for making scenario maps where you can spawn an uncontrolled player and then control them via scripts. Example: A historic battle scenario where 2 players are allied, 1 is controlled by the player, 1 is unassigned but controlled with scripts (Also, Petra AI wont do anything without a CC). 

Edited by Grapjas