Priests need to change...

Grapjas

Should priests get a rework?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Should priests get a rework?

• Yes
    • Yes, but with a different approach
    • No

Now understand this is just an opinion, but...

The way the priests work is obviously pure fantasy right now. I'm suggesting a rework and take the fantasy aspect out of it. 

I understand for many cultures of any time period, people get inspired by the presence of spiritual leaders. More couragous, confident, morale boost etc. I'm proposing to do exactly that. Make them give allround bonusses that stack per priest (with maybe diminishing returns?) for units around them, much like the druids. Let's say each priest gives as an example 0.7% hp, armor, and attack bonus to affected units. 20 priests give a total 14% bonus to affected units. To make it more interesting, champ units don't receive priest bonusses, but instead inspire the priests themselves, increasing their inspiring efficiency by 0.05% per champion (We might actually see more use of champ units this way too, lol) in the priests aura.

For overview of what im suggesting:

• Replace priest heal for a buff
    • +0.7% HP/Armor/ATT for units inside the aura
  • Champions don't receive priest buffs
    • Instead they increase the buff amount a priest gives by 0.05%

I know many like to spam priests, so i'm curious about what ya'll think. The numbers i named are more of an example though i think not too bad.

Edited by Grapjas

Heroes already give the buffs you're talking about, so then Priests just become mini heroes?

I agree that the "Healing" effects of heroes is fantastical. It's just that for gameplay purposes, a healing unit sounded like a good idea, and since medicine as we know it wasn't a big thing in ancient times having "Doctors" or "Medics" sounds too modern. Temples were purported to be places of "healing", and many times priests, priestesses, and their attendants acted in ways that today we would associate with "faith healers" mixed in with a healthy amount of folk medicine. It's all an abstraction that fills a gameplay role. I do understand that it might go too far for some people to suspend their disbelief though. 

• Like 1

Im not quite sure why there needs to be a healer unit in the game honestly. Units healing while idling or in buildings makes sense but other then that... Not really.

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Heroes already give the buffs you're talking about, so then Priests just become mini heroes?

Yes, they both inspire. But with the champ buff mechanic we might see more mixed armies too. Though i don't mean they should be exactly like my idea, but in my opinion the heal should be replaced with a different mechanic that makes sense and isn't fantasy (without expecting ultra-realism).

On 01/01/2021 at 9:01 PM, Grapjas said:

Im not quite sure why there needs to be a healer unit in the game honestly.

It's not really needed. But you would see improvements in gameplay if they were a bit better.

Some players already use them with mixed/decent effectiveness in team games.

On 01/01/2021 at 9:01 PM, Grapjas said:

but in my opinion the heal should be replaced with a different mechanic that makes sense and isn't fantasy

Unless we implement some kind of supply line/camp mechanic I like that we have healers. It makes it possible, fwiw with the current stats, to make incursions that can be moderately resilient on enemy territory. Might not be the best abstraction but it's one that works visual and gameplay wise imo.

For aura buffs would be nice to have standard bearers/battle priests/mini heroes.