Screen in rainbow colours

FlyingBaguette

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is caused by highdpi screens and how recent Windows versions scale them. Since Windows internally tries to handle application compatibility for highdpi screens, it gives scaled resolutions to SDL2, which is actually severely low. This caused the game graphics to be absolutely @#$%, (for instance, the main menu buttons were stacked etc. for me on my screen). I noticed this when I switched from Linux to Windows. Interestingly there were no green glitches at the time.

And then there was an update within the year 2020, (I can't be sure if it was Intel or Windows, since I did both at the same time), that resulted in this atrocity. I have reason to believe the actual glitches come from within Intel drivers because the game resolution is so much lower than the native one. I spent like two whole days trying to figure this out. I really wish I had seen this thread earlier, this information would have really helped me when I was randomly reading SDL2 docs and ancient SDL forum threads.

There are 2 solutions, 1) Specify exclusive fullscreen (the oldschool kind literally nothing uses anymore because its drawbacks outweigh the benefits). 2) Specify awareness in the binaries which stops Windows from meddling with the resolution by scaling them or whatever, which means SDL2 can actually know the true resolution and draw the game using the true native resolution.

#2 is what MS itself recommends.

Unfortunately, both of these solutions require WFG devs and as an end user there really is not much you can do other than wait for A24 which hopefully will have this fix. Or apply this metaphorical english patch yourself I guess.

Edited by smiley
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, luttenberger said:

i have the exact same problem since some time. any solutions?

Could you press F2 (it takes screenshot from the internal renderer) and press Print Screen (it takes screenshot from the game) and post both pictures here?

9 hours ago, smiley said:

Unfortunately, both of these solutions require WFG devs and as an end user there really is not much you can do other than wait for A24 which hopefully will have this fix. Or apply this metaphorical english patch yourself I guess.

If I understood you correctly you say that user can't fix awareness. But actually user can for Windows 10 and iirc Windows 8.1 and it does work. You need to open executable settings and customize the DPI settings. Then you need to add the gui.scale setting to user.cfg with a value multiple of 2.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...