Aura ranges

wowgetoffyourcellphone

That's kind of "by design", but it did change things. I'm not certain that it's better for auras to just be a radius with a centre or a radius around edges? Do you have arguments for either choice?

I'm going to make a diff adjusting aura ranges, which ought to mostly move things back how they were.

Perhaps a new kind of aura or range type: "edge distance."

"Radius" to me implies a center point. 

I noticed the incongruity playing DE and I saw the "Underbrush" aura affecting units outside the radii of the Forest Groves. The aura is intended to only affect units passing within the Grove. With the current aura range issue, it would seem I have to set the radius of the aura range to 0 so that it matches the edge of the footprint? Again, the definition of radius causes confusion of its actual effect.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2020 at 10:28 AM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

"Radius" to me implies a center point. 

Mh, you're probably correct on that, though the name is not the most important.
The distance is still a circle as we approximate range checks for auras, it's just "diagonal size of the obstruction + aura range" instead of "aura range".

So yeah, you might need a radius close to 0 for passable obstructions (in fact, it's possible we might want to look at negative aura ranges).

I'm going to make a diff adjusting SVN auras, I don't think it'd be too practical at the moment to treat auras specially, but you'll likely have to adjust your ranges to account for "√(width^2 + depth^2)"