Suggestion to donators

sentado

Also, something more off-topic is that I know there was a room with autohost in the past, players used commands to change civs and slot balances and start the game by themself, it was discontinued due lag, I'm very willing to let my pc 24/7 running an autohost if anyone can help me how to make it

I remember that some games were called in a way that suggested that it's an automated host. It's quite a long time ago though, and I thought it was mostly a joke with no real automation. Is there something I missed?

We wouldn't even need someone to let his PC running to make this happen. A cloud instance running a hosting bot probably wouldn't be that expensive to run and it could be more reliable.

I've considered making something like this, but it seems there would be a lot of work with the interface to allow setting all the parameters via the chat (so that the user is not required to install any special mods). There should probably be only one owner of the host, who would be able to set the map parameters and maybe allow others to only set their civilization. And it would be possible to pass on the ownership to a different player. The host should automatically close in certain situations to prevent blocking resources. And it should be possible for a player in the main lobby to ask the server to open a new host for him and make him the owner.

This seems like quite a lot of work to make it work, but it would be a great help for people who can't host their own game. Or maybe also a good alternative for rated games because the host can't just close the host and claim it was a crash.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2020 at 12:09 PM, Boudica said:

... There should probably be only one owner of the host, who would be able to set the map parameters and maybe allow others to only set their civilization. And it would be possible to pass on the ownership to a different player. ...

Could be also based on majority votes or rank-based-voting.  For rank-based-voting if something is tied the final two items get another vote.  If no winner a vote until agreement in chat is reached.

There could also be votes for "default" settings since I believe that 90% of the games are default setting games (200 pop, mainland, no relics, conquest victory, etc.).

Edited by Dizaka
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@sentado I see, this is the topic you've mentioned in the Lobby today, in the context of the DDoS attacks. It's a good idea to increase donations, and it could contribute to solving the DDoS issue, but I think these 2 related topics should be discussed separately. So I like your comment, but I'll focus on the dedicated DDoS topic.

I feel like one of the obstacles to donating is the lack of direction, it is kinda unknown, one feels uneasy to donate when you don't know exactly how that will be used.

Sure, server for bots, site, SSL certs maybe etc. but at least having a defined goal for the future and how that money could help would be nice.

This is both a good and bad example, a donation encouraging a change but at the same time that change becoming stale (a much needed one btw): https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1746

If it encouraged the team to make a change to the infrastructure that not only mitigated DoS attacks but promoted the use of dedicated servers, I would certainly feel extremely compelled to donate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, badosu said:

I feel like one of the obstacles to donating is the lack of direction, it is kinda unknown, one feels uneasy to donate when you don't know exactly how that will be used.
Sure, server for bots, site, SSL certs maybe etc. but at least having a defined goal for the future and how that money could help would be nice.

It's a fair point. I believe that right now giving time and spending it with us on IRC is the best kind of donation that can be done if one is able to program. Money helps and is always welcome to support the hosting fees.

This is both a good and bad example, a donation encouraging a change but at the same time that change becoming stale (a much needed one btw): https://code.wildfiregames.com/D1746

Yeah it was a nice patch, but IIRC in the current version it doesn't work on Windows. Maybe someone will take it on in the future.

If it encouraged the team to make a change to the infrastructure that not only mitigated DoS attacks but promoted the use of dedicated servers, I would certainly feel extremely compelled to donate.

We're working on https://code.wildfiregames.com/D3184 to make it harder to get IPs it won't solve everything of course, but it might make things a little better. There is also

• Like 2