How Many Of You...

Just wondering...I myself do not, as far as I know.

I'm just about 100% Sicilian, and I'm by no means an expert on history, but Sicily was settled by Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, and Carthaginians, right? So I could very well have bloodlines from any of those civilizations, but I can never know. But if I am Carthaginian in descent does that make me an African American? :)

So how many of you have royal/noble lineage? This kind of thing interests me a lot. Please share it with us, and don't make claims up :)

Not in any way. My father grew up on a farm, and my mom's father grew up on a farm as well. My mom's mother wasn't a noble either. I've got a few classmates who are though, but the only advantage is they have a cool name. There are no priviligies of being a noble in Sweden any longer (uh, except that you are allowed to rent a building to have parties in...but it still costs you).

No royal blood, but I do have some noble blood. My grandmother from my mother's side descends from a noble Frisian family, and I descend through that line from the sister of a famous Frisian hero, Grute Pier (only Frisians know of him, though :))

From my father's side I descend of a German family. Jan Bosch was a trumpeteer in the army of the Prince (presumably that of Saxony) who moved to the Netherlands in the early 1700s. His son Hendrik fought in the War of the Austrian Succession where he fought in many battles. The grandsons of Hendrik (not my direct lineage) fought in the Napoleonic Wars; one on Napoleon's side (where he ended up in the Imperial Guard), the other for the Brits (but he was captured by the French in 1799). A third son moved to Denmark; it is not known if he fought, as well.

After that, my family hasn't been all that active, though one ancestor in the 1830s was involved in splitting up the church even more here, and another in WW 2 set up a camp for refugees to hide. However shortly before the war ended he was found out and executed.

I have noble blood, being related to the von Vietinghoff family from Germany. They still exist, and have their own family association.....which I am not a part of :) but I'm related anyway). One of the family's members was Colonel-General Heinrich von Vietinghoff-Scheel, who was commander in chief of Italy in 1944 and 1945, fighting in WWII from Poland, to Belgium, to France, to Yugoslavia, to Russia, to Italy. He was arrested and charged with war crimes, but seems to have been acquited. It was about a few SS guys who went ape while under his command...... :-( But that's my family lineage...part of it :)

Now don't get me started on my family's history :)

Well my name sais it all: Van Waesberghe (well atleast if you know Dutch).

That's a medieval name, and more than that, actually a name coming back in our (more detailed history books) quite often (read the lion of flanders for example).

In fact we still have our heraldic shield (using this word, don't know a better translation), which is a clawing black lion on a silver blocked background. The first written texts on our family date back to 800 A.D., when we were the lords of Zottegem (city in Flanders). We also have been advisors of the Flemish count during 1302 (one of the most important people in Europe back then). In the 16th century a family member was financial baljuw (aka minister of finances, for a city) of Ghent. In those days Charles V asked Ghent for more taxes, but most of the Ghent nobility and people didn't want to pay it. Our family member however urged everyone to pay the taxes because Ghent couldn't defeat the huge and strong army of Charles V. Well to make a long story short: my family member got cut into little pieces by the people of Ghent, and a few days later the Ghent army was crushed by Charles V (so he was right :D).

We lost our "nobility" in the late 17th century, not sure why though. We did find enough documents now to prove all what I just said, so the Belgian government said that we can become officially aristocratic again if each family head pays a one time fee of 2,500 $. Anyway, we're not going to do it, it's just stupid anyway :)

oh, my dad just said there are rumours that we are maybe related to Emperor Charles the Great (although there aren't any strong evidences, most likely not true).

Here you can see our heraldic weapon/shield:

vwaeswapen.gif

Yes, I one of my great ancestors is Elurin, who was the son of Dior. Elurin and his brother were lost but not killed in the assault of their father's kingdom. And Dior himself was the grandson of of Thingol, which makes me descendant to the greatest High King of the Sindar!

Ok, sorry, just kidding around. In truth I have no idea if I'm related to any royalty.

You should do some research on it, it's pretty interesting, you never know where you end up :)

Did a research on my grandmother's family too (Dauwe). It's a name more common than Van Waesberghe (Van Waesberghe until the 14th cent has one branch while Dauwe has hundreds). It used to be a very rich family of industrials (the Belgian branch), my father even said that during childhood he often visited their "castle" in Brussels. The German branch is of nobility. There's also an American branch related to the German one.

Btw if someone from the Netherlands is reading this. Have a look into the history of one of The Netherlands' most prominent publishers: Elsevier. You'll see that it was called Van Waesberghe, founded by a family member that fled from Antwerp for the Spanish.

1580: Jan van Waesberghe uit Breyvelde, boekdrukker en boekverkoper te Antwerpen, vlucht voor het geweld, samen met veel andere Vlamingen, naar Rotterdam. Hier zet hij zijn beroep verder, en door huwelijk vormt deze tak de oorsprong van de drukkerij ELSEVIER  - zie genealogie blz 99. (Catherine van Waesberghe ° 05.04.1597 + 12.05.1621 fa Jan II van Waesberghe en Marguerite van Bracht  x Abraham Elsevier ° 04.04.1592 + 14.08.1652.)

De drukkerij “Van Waesberghe” was nog tot in de 20e eeuw aktief te Rotterdam.

Het boek “ Het geslacht Van Waesberghe door de eeuwen heen”  uitgave Breda 1985 van Joannes Pieter van Waasbergen  ° 19.12.1903 + 18.06.1985 is gedrukt op de persen van deze drukkerij.

Het  werk van A. Ledeboer Editie 1869 (H 1875 – 2  E 6 Univ Bib) geeft de genealogie van dit drukkersgeslacht.

Jan  van Waesberghe overleed te Rotterdam op 25.05.1626 en werd begraven in de grote St Laurenskerk, deze zerk, bezijden het gangpad, is bijna ongeschonden. Het wapen der ‘van Waesberghe’s’ is daarop uitgehouwen.

For the non dutchies and flemies: just a description of who founded the publisher and the sources.

More can be found on this site (in dutch):

http://home.pi.be/~lovawa/index.htm

We also had an art nouveau architect in our family, here's a house of him (Armand van waesberghe):

098.jpeg

I'm now actively participating in tracing back my family history. I've been mailing with the family members who made that site and wrote the book on my family, and I've noticed it's indeed not that easy. They are all professional historians who work on it but still having a hard time :)

To start trace back your family history you should start in town archives. These are the best and most relieable sources for this kind of work. What's even easier is just using google, I'm sure you'll find quite a lot (that way the French van waesberghe's were discovered).

I have a friend related through his father to Napoleon... so beat that!

but I can't...

Although my mom and dad are both into geneology and my dad traced his family up something like 11 generations, and at the top was Adam and Eve!

Adam and Eve Falor, that is- but it's still pretty funny! :)