What Is Your Least Favorite Book?

Hmmm... Stuka Pilot by Hans-Ulrich Rudel. Sure he's the hottest combat pilot of all time (somthing like 800+ tanks, 13+ airplanes air-to-air, and ~two ships - one a battleship), but his book is full of little Nazi tips of the hat and other racist comments (there was one section where he was describing flying over a group of Romanians running away from a group of Russians, and he goes on to talk about the "Eastern hordes" and lists all kinds of "peoples" of Russia.....made me squirm). Fascinating career but man I think that guy didn't hum or plug his ears when Hitler was spewing....

BTW, To Kill a Mockingbird kicks butt!! Yeah its kind of sappy, but it is a good book. No question. Love it where she wanted to take the pellet gun along to see her cousin..... ;)

Wow, as I read this topic title, I thought "I wonder if anyone will put TKaM, because that was one of my least favorite books to read"

LOL :P

My favorite books on the other hand are Lord of the Rings and Lord of the Flies. LotF has a lot of symbolism, but by itself, is still an interesting story of human nature. So many themes, I liked it. ;)

The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence

This fantastic piece of Canadian Literature was a requirement in the old OAC curriculum, which is the only reason I read it and it is the only reason that any one should read it. This story deals with the tale of a 90 year old women named Hagar Shipley who is approaching death. She spends good portion of the book re living her past before she dies. Now at glance this sounds somewhat interesting, as it seems through the novel you might be able to get a perspective about the last century from small town woman. Do not be mistaken. The protagonist, Hagar, is the most repulsive character you have ever met. By the end of the first page you start wishing that death would finish her off already. With an amazing three pages to go Hagar on her deathbed realizes that she has wasted her life being arrogant gasbag and she tries with her desperate last few breaths to correct all the mistakes she has made, but she is too late and she dies, the end. When you come to the conclusion to this novel, it dawns on you “I am never going to get these hours I wasted reading this book back”. You begin to wish that you had cracked yourself over the head with a brick and spent those hours you used reading the book lying on floor in a puddle of your own fluids.

I actually enjoyed “To Kill a Mocking Bird” it has been one of the better pieces of literature that I have been forced to read.

If you enjoy stories about decrepit old ladies who have bowel problems and enjoy to candidly tell the reader this for pages on end, then The Stone Angel is for you. The only possible book that contends this one for the worst piece of literature ever produced would be the adaptation of “The Glass Menagerie”.

You have to relate the story to the time and the place.

I haven't read the book myself in over 5 years, as it was part of our grade 9 curriculum, so I am a little hazy on the details. But I remember it being a very enjoyable read overall.

In what grade is To Kill a Mocking Bird a requirement in the United States, or where you live in the United States?

I don't like To Kill a Mokingbird because of its bad English and that there is really no plot. The book just kind of revovles around everyday life. I would have read a Diary if i wanted that. I do agree that Atticus is the best hero ever, but i don't like the story in general, i just don't see a point. Maybe i am not "right brained" enough to see the "magnificant literature" as the way it is supposed to be seen. I just see things the way they are. That is the problem with the left half of your brain. It does that sometimes.

I am somewhat curious to find out what other books are on your curriculum.

Well, none, brian doesn't read anything :)

My favorite books would be anything by Douglas Adams, followed by anything by Tolkein. Douglas Adams was a genious... it's a shame he's dead now.

The reason why I don't like To Kill a Mocking bird is that it's just a pain to read, trying to decypher the southern language with words like Yonder and Yessum that I've never seen used anywhere in the English Language. Thought it was a good story, it's nothing acceptional.