Addiction 101

My name is Rich, and I'm a nicotine addict.

Why? I wish I knew. I'm 28, and for the last 10 years, I've smoked around 40 cigarettes a day. A good idea? Of course not.

I don't think I'm stupid. I even think I'm quite bright. I can see that smoking has zero benefits. I know a spend a small fortune each year. I know the effect smoking has on my health, and I'm reminded every time I exercise : standing bent doubled up coughing up a lung isn't glamorous. I know I stink of smoke. I know, if I don't quit, smoking will kill me. And yet I don't stop.

I don't think I've an "addictive personality", if you believe in them. I shop, but I'm not a shopaholic; I drink, but I'm not an alcoholic; and hey, I even gamble, but I certainly don't need to register with Gamblers Anonymous. It's just nicotine.

Do I want to quit? Yes. Every day I say will be my last. I throw out all my lighters, cigarettes and ashtrays at the end of the day. Does it last? Never. By midday, I'll have a new lighter, more cigarettes. I'll fashion an ashtray out of whatever I have to hand.

Am I really just that weak-willed? Or I am missing something? Please, someone tell me there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Failing that, just tell me there is at least an end to the tunnel.

Rich

Did your parents smoke? :P Thats how people usually get hooked for a long time. That and because your friends do it. You can't throw the cigarettes off all at once, but the best thing you can do is just try to limit yourself and smoke less and less. It only takes 2 months for the nicotine to get out of your system and along with it your addiction, but unfortunatly the damage it does to your health stays for a long time.

I can't speak from experience, but I think cheez's strategy looks promising. Instead of stopping at once (unless you lock yourself in a file cabinet for 2 months) you could try lowering your addiction, maybe when you're down to 1-2 cigaretts a day (if you can get there) it might be easier to stop. But I don't know, either way good luck.

(there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's either the opening or a train)

Same here. :P

I've been smoking for about 4 years now, but not as much as you, probably 10 a day, sometimes less, sometimes more.

I think the first thing you need to quit is wanting to do it. Not just wanting, but really wanting! It might sounds strange if you don't smoke, but it's not that obvious. It's a bad habid, and we know how hard it is to get rid of one.

I asume you smoke filter cigarettes? The least you can do is quit that and roll your own. No, not with a machine, but roll them yourself. This helps me to not smoke more, since rolling one takes time (well now only 10 sec for me :P). It's also a lot less expensive and less bad for your health. Imo filters should be forbidden, once you've tasted the difference you'll notice how really bad they are. The smoke looks thick and blue-ish, it stinks a lot more, the paper used is a lot thicker, it has all kind of chemicals and perfumes in it, etc. Things you won't find with normal tobacco.

But this is not a manifest to make rolling your cigarettes look good. In fact it's still really bad, but maybe a small step closer to quitting.

The best way though is being hard with yourself (I can't, but I hope I will someday). Just quit and don't touch them anymore, that's the only sollution. You might want to consult a good doctor though.

[post previous reply edit]

My father, his father and both my brothers smoke(d). Yep, family and friends who smoke will make the step to doing it a lot easier. I guess that's how I got hooked on it (although almost none of my friends smoke now).

The less smoking system works for some people, but from experience I haven't seen anyone capable of doing it. A friend of mine did it this way, he quit for 3 months and started again. Another friend who really quit just did it and is now nearly 1 year smoke free.

Finding a reason to quit also helps. My uncle's hand turned blue when he started smoking :P He didn't want a blue hand so he stopped smoking, that was his reason.

I don't think anyone can quit "for their health" though, you need a physical object of importance to catch onto. Like money.

Yes, smoking is bad. :thumbdown: Acutually, it is very bad. If you are thinking about starting, DON'T. It has absolutely no benifits. Actually, it is a waste of money as well as a complete downfall to your health. A cigarette has something like 4000 chemicals. WOW. Could you think that they could put all those chemicals into a little cigarette. A cigarette is the only product then when you use to the manufacturers directions, you end up causing harm to youself, others, or end up dying. This is why you should stop. You have to. Did you know that with all the money you spend on cigarettes in a year, you could save and go on a very nice 2 person vacation. I have a link to a site with cigarette ingredients.

http://quitsmoking.about.com/library/weekl...y/aa042301a.htm

Also, i would like to point out that the average smoker tries to quit 3-4 times before actually quitting. That was shocking. You have to stop gradually like bobby says, but one thing i would like to point out is that you must stay away from cigarettes a long time after you stop smoking. I have heard stories of people that haven't smoked in 9 months and they started smoking again. They said it was horrible. So, if you do quit, remeber not to ever look at a cigarette again or hang out with people that smoke. Instead, hang out with people that don't smoke and don't drink alcohol. Alcohol increases your cravings for cigarettes. No, i don't smoke, i learned this as part of my anti drug education. I also learned this from health class which i just took this summer. If you follow bobby's suggestions and mine, you should have a somewhat easier time quitting. I just hope that you find the motavation to do so. Also, if you don't smoke now, NEVER try it. Trying it causes you to become addicted and soon you will not be able to stop. I hope you found this information useful and i hope you have luck quitting Rich. :P

I have only known one guy who quit smoking cold turkey. He had headaches for a week, and he gained allot of weight. But, after a few weeks he was really happy with what he did and was quite proud of himself.

Rich, I think it would help if you could find someone around you to hold you accountable. I don't know if those patches or gum work, but maybe that might be something to try?

I don't think your week willed... your just human. Humans have a tendancy to give into their basest of base urges. Your not the only one who stuggles, we all do with some sort of addiction or another.

But, yeah I'd try to find someone you could ask to keep you accountable as you try to kick the habbit.

Fortunetly, I haven't developed a smoking habit. Unfortunetly, my mother is a smoker and sometimes when I travel with her in her jeep, I have to inhale her secondhand smoke (she does her best to mimize smoking around me, since I annoy her about smoking). And she dosen't show any signs of wanting to quit anytime soon, despite me telling her to do so. :-(

I am also a smoker. :thumbdown: :P The only way I see me quitting smoking is over night. Just don't do it anymore. Since discipline and commitment is one of my strengths I will do it. You can do, too, Rich ! I managed to not smoke when i am alone anymore. Only on parties and one or two when I got a bad grade.

What can help you to stop promptly is the following approach: Go downstairs in some training clothes. Gather all the discipline, your intelligence, your commitment, EVERYTHING YOU ARE AND WILL EVER BE and say to you: "I will run 10 kilometers now in 45 minutes ! I will do it, I can do it, I will do it! NOW !!!! "

Then start running. You will do it, you can do it. When you arrive back home you will be almost dead because of your lounge. YOu will not die exactly, trust me, but almost. :P But then you will really notice what smoking did to you over the years. And I mean REALLY.

You will stop it.

Amen.

i've got to weigh in on this topic ... i successfully quit smoking three weeks ago ... after having smoked (on and off) for almost 12 years. :P

so far i've experienced no withdrawal-symptoms but the temptation in the first week was horrible. i've been planning to quit smoking for the last half year - i've managed to slowly decrease the amount of cigs at first to 5 a day, then 3 a day (morning coffee, lunch, afternoon coffee - all at work - no smoking at home) and then i've stopped smoking in general.

i've noticed some patterns when tempted to light up (all influenced by work)

* stress

* boredom (esp. waiting on something)

* meeting in cafeteria after lunch for a cup of coffee

* fellow smokers in team

i've set myself some strict rules

* no smoking at home (at first only the balcony was allowed - later nowhere)

* only light up at fixed times during the day (ie. after lunch ...)

* just put 3/5 cigs into the pack for each day

some tips on fighting the temptation ... get some candy/gum/chocolate to occupy yourself when tempted. it works wonders - maybe so even for your waistline :P but then i generally noticed an increase in appetite (both food and sexual :P -> see ... non-smokers get laid more often :D ), my clothes stopped smelling of the darn cold smoke ... all in all i like it :D

suilad

-Bernd

Congrats Bernd :P I'm glad you succeeded :P

As for all you other guys, quit it, now. It is proven that in 3 weeks you can get much better and the body can reverse almost all the effects, but there a point where the body is too weak to try and reverse all the damage smoking has done. Don't get to that point !!

It helped a bit for me...at least 3 days. My lounge felt like I was smoking non-stop. I had that scratch in my neck for 3 days and once it was gone I smoked a cig again. ;):P

I think I will go for this chewing gum-idea. Also, what I noticed is that my lounge is pecking all day long. :P Probably I should just go to the doctor to investigate my lounge and know how black it is already. The result of that investigation would probably make me stop smoking ?