Various Topics

smiley

Given that en-us is the default in most cases and most of the world uses mostly American English these days, just keep en-us. And I don't believe there is anyone not knowing how to interpret the AM/PM notation. It's not hard, teaching them is easier than messing with locales.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, implodedok said:

I quite like 2.011 instead of 2,011 though.

In the entire English-speaking world, the comma is the thousands separator and the point the decimal separator—unlike most of Europe, where it's usually the other way around.

(Personally I prefer a non-breaking space.)

12 hours ago, smiley said:

Given that en-us is the default in most cases and most of the world uses mostly American English these days, just keep en-us. And I don't believe there is anyone not knowing how to interpret the AM/PM notation. It's not hard, teaching them is easier than messing with locales.

Whilst the USA has a large footprint and American spelling is becoming increasingly dominant, American standards are not automatically the international default; most of the world uses the metric system and the A4 paper format, for instance. Likewise, day-month-year is far more common than month-day-year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country#Usage_map

At least as important as how common something is, is that unnecessary ambiguity ought to be avoided. Whilst the a.m./p.m. system is easy to learn, not everyone is equally familiar with it (I've encountered several people over the years who misunderstood it), whereas the 24-hour format is immediately and correctly understood worldwide.

Likewise, 10/9 and 9/10 are less clear than Oct 9 or 9 Oct.

Wikipedia uses 13:57, 9 October 2020; github 9 Oct 2020, 13:57; both are based in the USA. The United Nations (headquarters in New York) uses 9 October 2020 as well.

3 hours ago, Nescio said:

Wikipedia uses 13:57, 9 October 2020; github 9 Oct 2020, 13:57; both are based in the USA. The United Nations (headquarters in New York) uses 9 October 2020 as well.

None of them are well known for their amazing UI/UX. I find it unnecessarily verbose and lengthy.

And in my entire life, I have never found anyone who got confused by AM/PM. But by my own logic, I should be arguing for 24 hours.

And I fail to see how moving from one arbitrary standard to another improves things. That's the point of locales. It's completely subjective. So the best thing to do is just have the default be the industry standard, which is also what all software and operating systems use out of the box. And maybe ask IPB devs to implement locales how everyone else does it.

Regardless, this is not a hill I am gonna die on. I am pretty confident I can parse out dates in any locale.