Various Topics

smiley

Ok this is just getting unprofessional from devs now...

1. Imagine if someone with a rather pricy internet connection is on the recieving end.

2. This is actively ruining the multiplayer experience from what I can tell.

3. Thread was made in September 13 and no one with a blue nick has even bothered replying here.

At least implement a central relaying proxy so people don't have to expose their public IPs.

I will reply to my own post as well because I literally know the response.

"This is an unpaid volunteer project"

• Like 1

@smiley yeah..umm..idk how the whole 0ad power hierarchy system works and all that but tf r u on about here?

are you seriously suprised that ppl who dont get paid to do something dont do that thing properly?

XD what are you a communist? next thing u know ull be suprised at corruption being all like "it was supposed to be for the people! by the people! whaaa whaa whaaaaaaaaaaa"

8 minutes ago, vinme said:

@smiley yeah..umm..idk how the whole 0ad power hierarchy system works and all that but tf r u on about here?

are you seriously suprised that ppl who dont get paid to do something dont do that thing properly?

XD what are you a communist? next thing u know ull be suprised at corruption being all like "it was supposed to be for the people! by the people! whaaa whaa whaaaaaaaaaaa"

You never fail to disappoint me. Sometimes, I see something and I am like, surely this is peak.

2 minutes ago, Dizaka said:

In conclusion, I will actually defend the devs and all the volunteers.   They are doing an amazing job with this game and I wouldn't be posting here if they weren't.

Alright, you are the victim here. You words are somewhat more meaningful lol.

12 hours ago, badosu said:

That was surprisingly intelligible actually.

ty badosu that means alot.

also i meant it im not kidding.

in the end everything i say that might be controversial or which might disagree with someone is taken as a personal attack because im never polite.

37 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Nah, it has nothing to do with being controversial or with not being polite, it's because of the way you choose to write: "ppl" instead of "people", "some1" instead of "someone", "u" instead of "you", etc. You might protest and say "But this is the Internet! This is how people speak here!" Yeah, in like 1997, maybe. We're way past that. No one really uses L33TSP34K today, not even mild versions of it. It's just straight up cringy. The "cool" way to write today is to write properly. And if you say that you're not smart enough to write properly, then I don't believe you. If you're smart enough to use a computer, then you're smart enough to write properly.

No offense my dude, just trying to help you out here by pointing out the obvious.

It's hard to read for a non-native English speaker who knows basic English.  If he could write differently it would be significantly easier for others to go through the text.  However, for a native English speaker going through that doesn't really matter as it is straight forward.

I think a lot of people fail to understand that because a lot of people here are bi-lingual then English isn't a primary language, more of a common language.  I thought Boudica, and a number of other players, are native English speakers but they surprisingly aren't.  I don't think Vinme is using 133tsp34k.  Instead, he's using the English he's self-taught or gotten through the internet.  Posting on a msg board for a non-native could be viewed as learning.  IMO, learning should have constructive feedback and not negative feedback.  Otherwise you'll just end up agitating and/or making the other person angry.  There was plenty of that in 1997.  Shouldn't be happening now.  Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Edited by Dizaka

Thanks, Dizaka, for remembering me in the context of language skills. You wouldn't be saying the same if you heard me talk. But I guess this is a good reason for me to follow up with a large offtopic post all about why I'm so good at life. So where do we start? ;)

Just kidding. There were a few things I wanted to say about the writing style though. I'd probably agree that this is more about the effort one puts in to make his posts easy to comprehend. The lack of capitalization or interpunction as well as the use of unnecessary shortcuts might all be a sign that the writer prefers his ease of writing over the comfort of the possibly dozens of future readers of his post.

Most of the non-native speakers probably learned English at school. My guess is that the use of leetspeak is more a thing of trying to appear informal or cool (like "Look, I'm writing in a way my old English wouldn't approve"). The biggest problem with the incomprehensible posts is, in my opinion, the lack of a structure. That is something you can't easily judge by just looking at the post, but when you read it, you see that the writer didn't have a clear message in his mind while writing. It feels more as if he was just transcribing his flow of consciousness, which can feel a little disrespectful towards the reader.

I'd expect to give away that I'm not a native speaker by small things like not using the right preposition with a phrasal verb, or just by using a wording that doesn't sound natural. Perhaps the key there is to know what one doesn't know. I sometimes try using a word or phrase that I saw somewhere, in an attempt to move it into my active vocabulary. But if I'm afraid of mistakes, there is still this option to play it safe and speak like the simple English version of Wikipedia. The other option is using Google for cases when improving is a priority.

This reminded me of this one time when I wondered how something sounds to a native speaker. You probably remember that there was this guy named HelpMeWinning, and one time I asked user1 how the name sounds like to him, thinking that the usual wording would probably be "help me (to) win". I got my thoughts confirmed, but user1 also suggested the alternative "help me at winning", which I hadn't thought of. I think that this intuition of how smooth a phrase sounds is what really takes practice to build.

That all being said, I've also been wondering what the right approach to learning a language should be for me. I am afraid that some people will learn a foreign language better than they need to. It's something that sounds cool among the peers, but at the end of the day, the communication still mostly is about getting the information across. And in many cases (like talking to a group of non-natives), a simpler language just does a better job there. I'd rather consume some true wisdom written in leetspeak than the opposite.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, go2die said:

10/9/2020 - 12:30 am

10/9/2020 is ambiguous (10th of September or October the 9th?), writing Oct 9 or ISO standard 2020-10-09 is much clearer.

12.30 am is also confusing: a.m. (ante meridiem) means before noon (<12.00), p.m. (post meridiem) after noon (>12.00). Given the time you posted your message, I assume you meant 0.30 (i.e. half an hour after midnight). :)

[EDIT] @Itms or whoever is in charge of the forum software, could the format of message that pops up when hovering the cursor over the post time be changed (e.g. “2020-10-09 at 16.25.ss” instead of “10/09/2020 04:25 PM”)? Not everyone is American.

pop-up.thumb.png.50fbda4443852a228d09e6775658305c.png

Edited by Nescio
pop-up

I didn't have this feeling that we didn't understand what you were saying, @m7600. Dizaka was also trying to explain why his comments can be off-putting, and I think that he did that in a pretty neutral way.

Regarding my comment, I understand that it was too long to actually read. But I went quite into some of the details of this topic, even though I didn't name vinme specifically to make this more general and less personal. This could be viewed as another way to avoid giving harsh feedback.

A TL;DR version of my previous post would be: You better think more about the future reader. Not everything is gold that crosses your mind. Think of the main points you are trying to make before you start writing. And of course, you'll have to keep shorter if you want anyone to actually read it.

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

Whatever. I'm done here. You can all keep replying sarcastically to vinme in this and in other threads, as you always do. At least I tried to help the guy.

I'm not sure he cares too much, given many conversations I had with him I'd say not. Maybe he feels it's part of some edgy part of his personality, or whatever. If he states he feels personally offended sure I'll apologize and stop

1 hour ago, m7600 said:

thought I'd try to go a little further and actually explain to vinme why his comments can be off-putting

Been there done that, I won't dig the thread though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

and as if snarky comments was positive feedback.

On 10/7/2020 at 9:14 PM, vinme said:

On 10/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, smiley said:

You never fail to disappoint me. Sometimes, I see something and I am like, surely this is peak.

Your snark-o-meter is malfunctioning. While I am not one to hold back in actual arguments, I went for the most neutral thing possible in that reply.

Regardless, he takes pride in being the uncaring bada$$ who says whatever is on his mind unaplogetically as he mentioned in this thread. Don't dish out what you can't take.

On 10/10/2020 at 11:12, implodedok said:

I've changed the forum locale from English UK to English GB.  It's using a 24 hour time format now.

Thank you! However, I noticed 10/09/2020 has now become 09/10/2020, which may confuse some Americans. Is it possible to change this to e.g. “Oct 9” (as used on phabricator), “9 Oct” (as used on github), or “2020-10-09” (ISO 8601 standard), to avoid ambiguity?

On 14/10/2020 at 9:20 AM, implodedok said:

I've changed it to en_DK locale instead of en_GB.  The date format is is now yyyy-mm-dd, at least when you hover over dates.  This is as best as can be done with our forum software.

Thanks, however, in quotes it's still 14/10 and those have 9:20 AM again. Moreover 2,011 has become 2.011. en_GB was probably better.

Ideally the month name would be written out or abbreviated; e.g. in Java, MM produces 10, MMM Oct, MMMM October. I gather a custom forum locale is not possible?