New Unit: African Veteran

This is a proposal for a new unit for the Carthaginian faction.

African Veterans

maxresdefault.jpg

HAT00009212_0_l.jpg

main-qimg-9356e5a9e5e478b2e16fb25570752d

• Generic Name: African Veteran
  • Specific Name: ?
    • Class: Champion Infantry Spearman? or Swordsman?
    • Hacker Armament: Spear? or Sword?
    • Ranged Armament: None.
    • Appearance: Armed and equipped with looted Italian equipment
      • Garb: Tunic and lorica hamata
      • Helmet: Hellenistic era helmets
      • Shield: Roman scutum painted with Carthaginian symbols
      • Figure(s): -
    • History:
    • Garrison: 1.
    • Function: Heavy infantry. Good for holding the main battle line.
    • Special: Trained by Hannibal.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

Archer Civs are already supposed to be OP, so it would be a mistake to make Carth better!

Hmm, then boost the other civs? ;) 

Looking at historical meta for a moment, I think both Rome and Carthage should be top tier. Ideally of course you want all civs to have a chance to win, but those 2 should definitely get some love. 

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

interesting if these veterans could form a kind of testudo.

The other thing would be to choose between these and the sacred band.

Not sure if they should have Testudo, since i don't think the Romans at the time used that either; first mention of it seems to be in Mark Anthony's invasion of Parthia (and itt would work better with the later square scutum than the oval one of Punic wars).

I was thinking the unit could be unlocked by choosing Hannibal as hero; in which case sacred band would probably be disabled (they did not exist by this time).

I read that the Libyans are said to have fought similarly to the Macedonian phalanx. The veterans fought with the armor of the Romans, which was very expensive for that time and which was taken from the vanquished after the battles of Cannae, on the Trebia and Trasimeno Sea. I doubt that they used Roman tactics for this reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Hmm, then boost the other civs? ;) 

Looking at historical meta for a moment, I think both Rome and Carthage should be top tier. Ideally of course you want all civs to have a chance to win, but those 2 should definitely get some love. 

No, nerf the archer civs ; )    They are just 4 so its easier to do that.

There should be no top tier, every civ should have same strength as far as this is possible

43 minutes ago, Player of 0AD said:

No, nerf the archer civs ; )    They are just 4 so its easier to do that.

There should be no top tier, every civ should have same strength as far as this is possible

Sounds boring - might aswell limit the game to only one civilisation in that case.
The whole idea of maintaining multiple nations is different capabilities and adjusting your play wise.

Therefore, I don't observe any problem with retaining more established and weaker cultures, in the end they have different bonuses that get them balanced anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oxenstierna said:

I read that the Libyans are said to have fought similarly to the Macedonian phalanx. The veterans fought with the armor of the Romans, which was very expensive for that time and which was taken from the vanquished after the battles of Cannae, on the Trebia and Trasimeno Sea. I doubt that they used Roman tactics for this reason.

My understanding is they never used Sarrissa like Macedonians.

And that Carthaginians fought as Hoplite phalanx early on; later becoming more like thureophoroi.

About tactics, it seems the Testudo did not exist at the time in general (not even Romans used it yet).

Video on the topic (subtitled):

Edited by Ultimate Aurelian
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a Carthaginian fan I think they deserve a sword champion. Currently they can only hire mercenaries which is expensive and weak. I don't think it makes Carthage much stronger but adds an option for them. They have no P2 champion neither, so I guess this is a compensation for them.

If you feel they are too OP then suggest upgrades for other civs.

43 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

As a Carthaginian fan I think they deserve a sword champion. Currently they can only hire mercenaries which is expensive and weak. I don't think it makes Carthage much stronger but adds an option for them. They have no P2 champion neither, so I guess this is a compensation for them.

If you feel they are too OP then suggest upgrades for other civs.

May be Hannibal can train them.

4 hours ago, Thorfinn the Shallow Minded said:

If Hannibal could train that unit, I think it would be fair for Hamilcar to be able to train mercenaries since that was his shtick.  Maharbal could perhaps train cavalry units.

That would give Carthage some OP heroes, and it is exactly what I want!

3 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

We could make it so heroes can unlock the training of different units as long as they live.

That is also an idea. 

I guess I will make 2 different versions, and let you guys compare.