Cliffs of Carnage - new 4v4 PvP map

andy5995

45 minutes ago, badosu said:

The concept is nice, problem is 0ad has issues with bottlenecks, too easy to turtle depending on the civ especially.

I think removing the bottlenecks and keeping the elevation, which already gives some defenders advantage could improve the map.

@badosuThank you for the feedback. I used the width of the "ramps" used in Acropolis Bay as the guideline. The AI has trouble with it, because they build towers and farmsteads right on the path. I'd be happy to make the change you suggest but I'd prefer to wait until the current design has been played - unless you and others are already sure that the current widths just won't work well for PvP games.

3 hours ago, go2die said:

but how to install it? I never done it

@go2die

Linux: ~/.local/share/0ad/mods/user/maps/skirmishes
Windows: C:\Users\{YourUserName\Documents\My Games\0ad\mods\user\maps\skirmishes\

You can just copy the 2 files to those directories, and then the map should appear in your skirmish map list at the 0ad game setup menu.

It might be easier to let 0ad create the directory rather than manually creating it. To have 0ad auto-create the directory, you can just open up the scenario/map/Atlas editor. It will open to a default blank map. Then: save as -> skirmishes tab -> foo.xml

Then go to your file manager and you'll see the directory has been created. You can close Atlas, and delete the foo files. Then copy the 2 map files to the skirmishes directory.

Edited by andy5995

I'm certain there can be enjoyable games with bottlenecks, so if that's the way you like I'm sure it can work. I agree one should test before making assertions.

Unfortunately elevation is something I didn't experiment much with, but I think map looks good already. I'd just make it more traversible.

You could for example keep the bottlenecks near the cc but open after a certain distance so players can still reach the top, but not near the cc. Whatever you think works :-)

Good job so far!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, badosu said:

I'm certain there can be enjoyable games with bottlenecks, so if that's the way you like I'm sure it can work. I agree one should test before making assertions.

Unfortunately elevation is something I didn't experiment much with, but I think map looks good already. I'd just make it more traversible.

You could for example keep the bottlenecks near the cc but open after a certain distance so players can still reach the top, but not near the cc. Whatever you think works :-)

Good job so far!

Thanks for the additional comments @badosu

I just fixed players 4 & 7.. they were on the wrong sides/teams. Pushed to repo.

• 5 months later...
On 04/10/2020 at 1:25 AM, badosu said:

Good job so far!

Thank you for the feedback everyone! @badosuI made some changes to the map, chief among them: widening all the paths.

I've added a 2v4, 3v4, and 4v4 version to the GitHub repo (Cliffs_of_Carnage_xvx_xp.xml, etc)

screenshot0019.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I put this map, along with the others me and @Jammyjamjammanmodified/created, into a mod. So now it's simply a matter of installing the pyromod file listed at https://github.com/0ad-matters/0ad-maps/releases

Any maps from my other forums posts that you downloaded and put into user/maps/random or user/maps/skirmishes can be deleted after the mod is installed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I made a random map from the the Cliffs of Carnage skirmish map. It supports all the different biomes. The map will be included with the next cm2 release (that will be v0.25.12).

Players start as nomads (whether or not the option is checked). That's because I don't know how to write the code that would make sure players start with a cc and base on the cliffs based on teams.

But they get 16 more women than usual to help speed up initial build time.

screenshot0002.png

screenshot0003.png

Edited by andy5995
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2022 at 2:53 PM, andy5995 said:

Players start as nomads (whether or not the option is checked). That's because I don't know how to write the code that would make sure players start with a cc and base on the cliffs based on teams.

This is no longer the case. I used the river placement function and things look pretty good for now (screenie attached).

screenshot0005.png

Edited by andy5995
  • Like 3