Do You Think A Forum Community Can Be Too Big ?

Well, I don't wish to offended the great people at HG, but some of their forums are a good example of this, especially AoMH's. I post there twice a month but read them on a regular basis, and I've encountered lots of spam and flames. My fingers sometimes really itch to click the delete and ban button that's not there when browsing those forums :D

Also depends on which public you have, older people are usually easier to handle.

when a community gets too big, as you guys said, it becomes difficult to watch everyone. ppl get inactive or don't know what to answer and who to answer, and there's a lot of posts to check each time you go to the forum so you spend a lot of time just viewing them...and it can become too much

I know most ppl who register don't really post in the forums...so then there is no real expansion of the community. But I also notice here, you guys are really active and if I forget to check the forums for 2 days, it does take a long time to read all the things that have been said. So it's a balance that must be instored (sp?). Maybe put a limit to the number of threads you can create by days ? I don't know. But all those threads are really interesting anyway :)

Personally I don't like the idea of limiting anything having to do with posting. I would say the answer to the poll is a yes though. Simply put, as long as it hasn't gotten to the point where it's "too big" you shouldn't limit anything. If the forums however do get to the point where they're simply "too big", then you can put limits. Right now it'd be more of a hindrance to the community than a gain I'd say.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Sam, but what if you started a thread and by the time you check it again next hour there are 50 replies already, which you can't read all as you have too little time. As the thread starter you should do that though. The amount of posts that flow in every minute makes it impossible to keep track of many threads a day.

How about "levels" of membership? Obviously here we have forums dedicated to staff only, but I'm thinking of a scheme operating at a more general level. Forumers that post more regularly get access to a higher level forum than most; so you won't lose anonymonity at higher levels - because fewer people post at higher level forums, you'll recognise the names of those that do post. As the forum grows, the number of levels of forums increase - effectively forming a pyramid of forums, with only the most frequent posters having access to the top most forums.

Having said all that, I'm not a major forum user; this could easily have a lot of drawbacks.