=== [TASK] === Gharial, Gavialis gangeticus

MrLux

Hey folks,

Per the #1997 ticket , starting a thread for the gharial.

----------------------------------------------

Model

The crocodile as in source blend as a comparaison. Triangle count of 507. Waiting approval.

Spoiler

gharial.thumb.png.4c90287a5d20f769b18f10de80ff4f6a.png

Spoiler

990597925_wiprender.thumb.png.2757baf4811c95f864def13a303b13cf.png

Texturing:

Not being able for now to procedural texture the animals given the need for high detail on low poly, I decal photo texture into the lp model. So I prefer to wait for model approval to have as little as possible deformation in the texture.

Question: I found some nice images on a website called pixabay.com . Create an account and the texture are said to be under their #pixabay licence which looks like a creative commons, sort of. Link to their terms: pixabay licence

Under the Pixabay License you are granted an irrevocable, worldwide, non-exclusive and royalty free right to use, download, copy, modify or adapt the Content for commercial or non-commercial purposes. Attribution of the photographer, videographer, musician or Pixabay is not required but is always appreciated.

I guess that allows us to use them to texture cc0 models?

Anyway, here is my list of textures that I will use, probably not all but well. I have a list for me, but I figure that if someone wants to take the mantle for whatever reason, better documents and threads are good to have. Pixabay or wikimedia commons for the deposit source.

Rigging

done by reusing the crocodile .blend in the source

Animation

Crocodile animation do not cleanly translate to the new model. I need to some clean up of the swim animation. For the walking, I learned that the gharial doesn't have the musculature to walk. He gliddes by dragging is body on the ground. Animation should reflect that, but then is it possible to code the behavior for it to not go to far from shores. I mean, it would be great to see a giant reptile glidding through the map but well not really realistic. XD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great initiative! More animals are always welcome, and the gharial would certainly be a nice addition.

8 hours ago, MrLux said:

Crocodile animation do not cleanly translate to the new model. I need to some clean up of the swim animation. For the walking, I learned that the gharial doesn't have the musculature to walk. He gliddes by dragging is body on the ground. Animation should reflect that, but then is it possible to code the behavior for it to not go to far from shores. I mean, it would be great to see a giant reptile glidding through the map but well not really realistic. XD

Good to know. Indeed many crocodilians (unlike other reptiles) are capable of both a ‘high walk’ and a ‘low walk’, but there are indeed exceptions.

Perhaps you could make the tail a bit longer? It seems to be nearly half the length of the animal:

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Gharial_%28Gavialis_gangeticus%29_female.jpg

There are three crocodilians in the Indian subcontinent. Ideally 0 A.D. ought to have all three of them. The gharial (Gavialis gangeticus) lives in the Indo-Gangetic plain (Pakistan, Northern India, Southern Nepal, Bangladesh). The mugger crocodile (Crocodylus palustris) is by far the most common and lives throughout the subcontinent. The saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus) lives along the entire Indian east coast (as well as throughout South-East Asia, Melanesia, and the north coast of Australia).

Spoiler
gharial:
Gavialis_gangeticus_Distribution.png
mugger:
Crocodylus palustris Distribution.png
saltie:
File:Crocodylus porosus range.png

Lets end with an example of peaceful coexistence (three gharials and one mugger):

Spoiler

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Gharial_in_Karnali.JPG