Historical Facts Thread

Ornlu

3000-2850 BC: the weaving loom arrives in europe from the Near East

30 BC: Mark Antony and Cleopatra commit suicide. Rome takes ove Egypt

AD 54: Nutty Nero rules Rome

AD 1317: Pope John XXII bans alchemy

courtacy of the Horrible Histories Collection :) (i know its for childeren, but the magazines hold tonnes of info on all of human history :), theyre great...pretty funny too)

• 3 weeks later...
476 A.D. fall of Rome (conquered by the...Goths?)

Nope, to the Sciri barbarians under Odoacer. However, one might discuss the "fall". In my opinion, Odoacer simply refused to have a new western emperor so he dethroned him, sent the royal stuff to Constantinople and proclaimed himself king of West Rome. So, in reality, Western Rome fell to the ostrogoths under their leader Theodoric in 490 AD (if I can remember the dates correctly)

My preferred area of history :P

Same here Fire Giant :P Another fact:

60 AD - Boudica, the Warrior Queen of Brittania, attacks the legions of Seutonius Paullinus at a position of the Roman's choosing and is defeated with heavy losses.

Note: An interesting thing about the Defeat of Boudica was that she brought a force of 30,000-40,000 warriors with her and attacked Seutonius' 10,000 on a battleground of his choosing, on a hill surrounded by trees on either side (creating a bottleneck). While the Romans were inside this....cul-de-sac for lack of a better word...the Celts placed themselves at the opening of the hollow. And of course they are slaughtered by pila as they climb the hill and then cut to pieces by the Romans at close range. That would have been okay because the troops might have escaped and Boudica could have fought on if they hadn't of done one thing - brought their families in wagons and carts to watch the battle. So you had the Romans in the cul-de-sac , the Celtic warrior just outside it, and their families arrayed in a semi-circle behind them, from the trees on one side to the other of the bottleneck. So once the Romans had routed the Celts they began to run like crazy out of the cul-de-sac and got tangled up in their women, children, and wagons. While they are trying to get through their families and possessions, the Romans come and sledge hammer them. So instead of having a defeat with minor losses, the Boudica ends up with a massacre and is no longer an effective fighting force.

Final Result:

Celts - 50,000 killed

Romans - 500 killed, missing, and wounded

:) Romans rule ;):P 100:1 kill ratio :P I'll take that

Mind you Romans got nailed to: Cannae, Carrhae, Adrianople :P:lol: but at least they gave as good as they got!

Not 50,000 dead, but a great victory for the Romans in a campaign in which they were getting seriously kicked around and then managed to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. This showed how training and working as a team can over come anything and essentially come out unscathed while annihilating their enemies.

And Boudica managed to kill 80,000 Romans (soldiers and civilians).

I probably should've written it better ;):lol: :-(

Brennus did, he just decided to give Rome back to the Romans. Bad idea if you're a Gaul.... :)

He didn't decide to give it back to them; he was besieging the Roman citizens who held out on Capitol Hill. They wouldn't surrender, so eventually they bought off Brennus with a lot of gold. Not that many Roman citizens died in his raid on Rome, since they had all fled to Capitol Hill the day before (when Brennus kicked Roman @#$% on the Allia, iirc). The Romans then fled back to Rome, leaving the gates open, but Brennus thought it was a trap so he didn't attack until the following day. Of course, there he had overestimated the Romans, as they just wanted to run to the safety of capitol hill :) Because of this, not only had the citizens time to flee, they also had time to take away quite a lot of their belongings so there wasn't much for the Celts to plunder.

Anyway, I understand your Point of View now :lol:

• 1 month later...

0ad Civ: Iberians & Romans

In 190 BC at a place named Lyco in 'Further Spain', of which the whereabouts is now unknown, the Romans suffered a severe setback when the army under Lucius Aemilius was defeated by the Lusitani in the lands of the Bastetani in the southeastern region around and behind New Carthage (Cartagena). 6,000 Romans were killed. The remainder retreated back behind their ramparts (camp), which they held with difficulty, and were subsequently led back to safer country like sheep. (Livy)