When playing 0ad whole network disconnects. Network otherwise stable.

Dizaka

6:10 pm Eastern Time.  Net down.  Private no specs game with Nani.

Update: 6:24 net still down.  Maybe a new record?

Update: 6:32 net still down.

Update: 6:34 ... :)

Update: 6:46 ... :) Watching Netflix through a diff network ...

Update: 6:49 back online

Pic below is the start of the DDOS.  There's no middle b/c it was another big one.

image.png.2ba1e53688033d508efbffbdeb545a3b.png

Edited by Dizaka
  • Confused 1

image.png.184dd6e73d296b180a06343311b2e979.png

1)  Kristian solo disconnect.

image.png.b9e2e2cbda317ceba8f39eeecc57490c.png

image.png.692a6a01da71b3e464e74c5e0e27fbaa.png

image.png.b3774c8fadff61cec7d4a73eaca30373.png

Either a potatoe for a PC or ...  .  Previously, and in general, his potatoe PC doesn't have issues with his games.

2)  Kristian/Cesar duo disconnect.

image.png.e6dca4176a7beda43389b5d3e4fd1267.png

image.png.46447db21f2501c5f6db477f69bd9c00.png

image.png.d4f510722cc60bafc6c29febed839248.png

Game ended afterwards.  No sure if Cesar/Kristian or other team was winning or whether it was close to end of game.  Was banned by Phyzik for being a silent spec.  Don't have replay on what happened.

image.png

Edited by Dizaka
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.be120038172e52e3f8200df5ad5effae.png

6:24 -- Go2die and Acero left spec.

6:27 -- Chetnik kicked for flimsy connection  (Possibly on same IP as previously)

image.png.31863391fe4cfbd948374fdbbaf9c5c5.png

6:47 -- Ricsand joined game.

image.png.e8c39a65f765781f5149d25fc3d34dbe.png

Join failed.  Looks normal though.

image.png.01f6e1e5315952a73b175b2cedee08a1.png

6:59 -- FrankStallone left game

7:01 -- game ended.  

Honestly, this was a normal 0ad game.  No multiple critical-player disconnects, etc.  It's possible that Chetnik did a whole net disco from DDOS as his IP was previously compromised.  Either way, uneventful game and done.  Ricsand probably had issues reconnecting midgame to a max 200 4v4 game with movement on all units.

Edited by Dizaka

8:48 -- Borg disconnected. 

Players IG:

image.png.001a20bd92237917330da563fc49673e.png

8:52 -- Was lagging.  Host kicked me.

8:59 -- Lapacientos lagged and was kicked.

9:00 -- Lapacientos rejoined.  Game continues.

9:03 -- Borg kicked due to timeout.

9:09 -- Borg rejoins lobby.  Must have been a somewhat strong ddos.

image.png.3676a0ebc4bb91dc6943904656916c16.png

9:24 -- Something new.  Game at a standstill.  Noone showing as lagging.  Eventually borg disconnects/times out.

9:24 -- Phyzik leaves the game.

Conclusion:  Way too many disconnects and reconnects this game.  Typical game has maybe a person disconnect and then come back fairly fast.  This game was all over the place for whatever reason.

Edited by Dizaka

Your ISP will never call, because they have no clue this is even happening. Their threshold will be set a lot higher.

The game logs doesn't really help.

You can either run wireshark and find out what traffic is, where it's coming from, and null route it on your router or you can request a new public IP and never host a game on the lobby. The former will fix it regardless of whether it's a DoS attack or not. And I think your router is an EdgeRouter. Maybe enable logging, but given that its already dying, that might not be the best idea.

I mean it could be a SYN flood, an ICMP flood, a UDP flood (this might be the case because of how much traffic is going through), illegal TCP flood, etc. Or even unroutable IPs. Impossible to determine with the information available.

Regardless, nothing much anyone else can do here.

2 hours ago, smiley said:

Your ISP will never call, because they have no clue this is even happening. Their threshold will be set a lot higher.

Accordingly, it's safe to assume that me calling them for this small fish is pointless as there likely won't be a good enough response.

Dear small fish, you reading this?  Go big or go home.

The game logs doesn't really help.

Conclusory statement.  All of yesterday no attacks on me.  Those one or two attacks could or couldn't have been something.  Looking at my logs I couldn't figure it out as I was testing something else out that rendered the charts unusable.  However, overall yesterday my 0ad experience was fairly stable, minus the one or two weird disconnects I had. 

You can either run wireshark and find out what traffic is, where it's coming from, and null route it on your router or you can request a new public IP and never host a game on the lobby. The former will fix it regardless of whether it's a DoS attack or not. And I think your router is an EdgeRouter. Maybe enable logging, but given that its already dying, that might not be the best idea.

I mean it could be a SYN flood, an ICMP flood, a UDP flood (this might be the case because of how much traffic is going through), illegal TCP flood, etc. Or even unroutable IPs. Impossible to determine with the information available.

For a distributed denial of service attack running wireshark is likely to be a pointless exercise.  If it's distributed it's coming from multiple devices under the attacker's purview that likely excludes the attacker's device(s).  However, that is an assumption worth checking out.

Regardless, nothing much anyone else can do here.

Another conclusory statement that isn't necessarily true.

Edited by Dizaka

16 minutes ago, badosu said:

Hmmm.. I was thinking of adding a software level package monitor like wireshark, so would that be ineffective? Should I at least be able to track I'm being flooded?

You would be able to verify what exactly it is.  With my graphs its simply conjecture.

9:50 pm easter time (NY).  DDOS again.  Can't setup the monitoring yet ...

image.png.1e6a997389ae33a7bf666005b3c6e6a3.png

Honestly, anytime a player disconnects from a game I'd probably blame DDOS.  It seems like few network connections these days are unstable ...

Note:  I've offered to pay for counseling and therapy services for whoever is doing this.  Please PM me.  

Edited by Dizaka
  • Thanks 1

i have same issue. same machine and internet can host game servers 24/7 (of not 0ad, other game) yet if im in 0ad lobby or 0ad game (mostly game, but lobby too  it happened) my wifi will stop working for a while, after a while (after random,short time)

could be ddos but its hard to believe someone does this stuff regularly to different 0ad players each day

Edited by thankforpieOfficial

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.cbca1e9a0d77755cf1e90d11874ad61c.png

6:27 pm eastern time.

Game lagged horribly.  Sufficiently enough that it wasn't playable and host decided to end game.  It's as if the ddos is being scaled down to prevent games but not disconnect them.

Edited by Dizaka

Specing game.  Phyzik mentioned something about screenshots and Issh luled about them (ph4r em!).  Wasn't involved in game (was spec).

This happened around 6:46 pm easter us time.

First ddos during this game around 6:46.  This one disconnected me from game and sent me to lobby.

image.png.811c2abdfc0f78d0097a220e821bed8e.png

image.png.a5e7a4dcf758134e8d79115d2bac1b03.png

Received a 2nd ddos around 6:55 or so:

image.png.37668c1f627b9de888a162d68effd76a.png

image.png.0751d7f982820dc5b4b88af8a94d6077.png

Banned from game for connectivity issues.  Host is Bonesnscars. (He did the right thing)

Phyzik explicitly asked for ban.  He directly stated his ph3ar of screenshots beforehand (before game started).

image.png.1ffda89c61987f2f6cbe256da7158e24.png

Double checked who else asked for my ban, out of curiosity:

image.thumb.png.eb1b29e8d860ef28a35008a282ace489.png

Edited by Dizaka
  • Thanks 1

Just did a quick search for DDOS on the forum.  Looks like this has happened with players who get singled out.  Example is Emperior:

Not really an issue to ignore.  I also haven't seen Emperior around.

Edited by Dizaka
  • Thanks 1

• Guest changed the title to 10/9/2020 - 00:30 Central European Time - Possible DDoS (IP address may be compromised, will change later)