Introducing camps/wagons to all(most) civs?

badosu

I was thinking about the fact camps made somewhat of an important role in the ancient battles, their role in deployment and foraging mostly.

It would be interesting to allow players to make camp-like structures that act as dropsites.

Most factions should have slightly defensive forts, that should be able to be taken down by capture or some other mechanic that does not rely on siege.

Romans can keep their camp with slight adjustments to sync with others, but still with all its goodies (and increased cost).

Some civilizations could have wagons that would act similarly, more flexible but brittle when hit directly. (They could buff nearby soldiers when garrisoned with women to compensate for that)

I am not sure all civilizations would have a camp/wagon structure, I would ask our resident historians on the missing gaps (e.g. kushites, ptolemies, etc).

Anyway, this would be a huge introduction that require a lot of adjustments, but would really make the game feel a lot more realistic, especially if camp deployment matches their usage in antiquity.

Just some food for thought, ideas?

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

If I had to do a suggestion for an army camp, I would suggest a building that gives a +15% attack aura in a 120 meter range(enough to build it near fortifications and have an advantage on taking them). However an army camp would slowly dismantle and lose the aura unless you sacrifice large supplies, making it a building with temporary use only.

Also army camps should be destroyed upon capture, which should provide considerable loot and be fairly easy if there is no supporting army. If you delete your own army camp, you could get some resources back.

Edited by LetswaveaBook
  • Like 1

I may be biased, but I like the little realistic nuances that enrich and diversify the gameplay such as this, so thank Badosu for bringing it up. 

To expand the concept, I remember some ideas from @wowgetoffyourcellphone about "cities vs countryside" to encourage early expansion against turtling and full use of the map. One of the ideas was to introduce some cheaper and weaker version of CC, sort of military colony, that you can eventually upgrade to full CC once necessary. I really liked the concept and I don't know, maybe it could be an interesting blueprint for the camp you propose. Some cheap, early outpost that can serve to secure an area and can be later be upgraded to a CC. In this way, I think it would make sense as an added element with some purpose consistent with the existing game dinamics. 

I agree that it should serve as bonus area/dropsite but shouldn't produce units

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Radiotraining said:

I may be biased, but I like the little realistic nuances that enrich and diversify the gameplay such as this, so thank Badosu for bringing it up. 

To expand the concept, I remember some ideas from @wowgetoffyourcellphone about "cities vs countryside" to encourage early expansion against turtling and full use of the map. One of the ideas was to introduce some cheaper and weaker version of CC, sort of military colony, that you can eventually upgrade to full CC once necessary. I really liked the concept and I don't know, maybe it could be an interesting blueprint for the camp you propose. Some cheap, early outpost that can serve to secure an area and can be later be upgraded to a CC. In this way, I think it would make sense as an added element with some purpose consistent with the existing game dinamics. 

I agree that it should serve as bonus area/dropsite but shouldn't produce units

Let me use my imagination a bit, and suggest this:

Perhaps you must first build a Settlement structure to found a new village. In this first level, this expansion can't train any citizens, you need colonists to come and build stuff there first. ;) You then later, perhaps after a time limit or perhaps after some other prerequisite, you can use the Upgrade feature to upgrade this Settlement to a full fledged Civic Center. Now you can train units there and possibly now other major buildings like barracks and Fortresses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's exactly what I was trying to say and you said it perfectly better! Ahahaha

Edit: maybe, instead of a time-limit I would suggest the upgrade is cheaper than building a CC on its own, but maybe takes more time to develop, so there's an incentive to follow this way if you want to expand quickly and cheaper on the map, but there's also a small time penalty so you have to consider your choices 

Edited by Radiotraining