Tips for Beginners

kgwedi

When my ego needs a boost, I play 0 A.D. on a large or extra large map with sparse resources, (like Botswana Haven, or Anatolian Plateau), and play as the Mauryans against the AI. Because the Mauryans have the mobile drop sites, you get a very real advantage in gathering resources over the enemy that is limited in where he can get resources.
I prefer to play "Nomad", where I have to find a good place for my first Civic Center. I am gathering resources with my Worker elephant long before I even build the Center. This allows me to spend more time finding a good place for the Civic Center.

With sparse food resources on a map, I first build a few corrals on the corners of the Civic Center, and make a fence between them to trap all sheep or Zebus. Put Women or Cavalry in the fenced area and have them harvest the animals as fast as they are made. Corrals require more micro management than farming, but food rewards are much higher. By mid game I try to constantly make 6 zebu per corral.

With the Mauryans, I build a Fortress as soon as possible, and make Maiden Archers from the big elephant. By end game I try to have about 30 Maiden archers. They are fast shooting and long range. 
If retreating with the archers, I split them into two groups, and have the left group fire while the right group retreats a bit, then the right group fires while the left group retreats. The AI seems to attack whom ever is shooting at them, so the bad guys zig-zag. DON'T let the melee enemy get near your archers, because they will kill them quick.

Another trick  with any type of archer, is to garrison them in a building, when the enemy is attacking,  pop out about 10 archers, and fire at the bad guys until the bad guy attack back, then  quickly re-garrison the archers. It is easy for the archers to pop out one side of a building, fire a bit, re-garrison, and pop out the other side for a bit more firing.
For this reason I always put my Fortress, Barracks, and Civic Centres apart. Archers can pop out to protect another building that is not too close, but still in archer range.

Because the enemy usually attacks via the shortest route, use the early game horse to find the enemy location. Then gather resources away from the path, using Worker Elephants, off to the side, out of sight from the enemy the whole game.

One of the first town defences are towers. Put the towers near resources, so the 5 archers are always gathering stone or steel right next to the tower. They can quickly garrison.
On some maps,  make a farm next to the tower so the archers are farming until needed in the towers.

On some maps, (like Polar Sea, or Danubius) elephants don't help me much. I prefer to play as the Persians then. Still good archers, and still elephants if I want.

Expert know all this, but maybe it will help some beginners having a hard time with early success.

Edited by kgwedi
Spelling

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, Abdominin said:

@Stan` @elexisPlease how do we build statues and sculpture works? I've been at it for a while now.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:33 AM, Abdominin said:

@badosuI saw a video on the Athenians and the player was able to build colossal statues of Athena. Is just that he didn't explain how. Is it possible for civs to build statues? I've tried with Athens myself but; no results.

Mod: DELENDA EST. :)

• Thanks 1