alpha 24

jesper

Also here it is more detailed https://trac.wildfiregames.com/timeline, mostly the delay is due to lack of time by devs, plus also during development there was some preasure from different operating systems and linux distributions (packegers (not place) but people who package) that we need to update our libraries and other specific os problems plus release blockers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not even an aspirational timescale? 

We're all aware of how the development works and it's voluntary nature, and we're grateful to the creators for their work - make no mistake, there is universal appreciation, but there is the school of thought that a dream without a deadline is just a dream...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stan` said:

@mysticjim We are waiting for some features that prevents the game from being packaged on Linux and Mac. Those features almost exclusively  requires Itms to work on them for there is no one else that can do it. Unfortunately Itms is not available right now whcih delays them.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi Stan, many thanks for your reply - and It's totally not really an inconvenience - I think everyone is just really psyched and excited for the updated iteration of the game :) 

There are many fixes and I think many people think the project is dead. So can you move the last (not fixed) tickets to alpha 25 and release the alpha 24?

If the new version are notified on some gaming/news sites are you are looking for Programmers, Animators and Artists. Maybe there could find some new voluteers.

Edited by raymond

1 hour ago, raymond said:

There are many fixes and I think many people think the project is dead. So can you move the last (not fixed) tickets to alpha 25 and release the alpha 24?

If the new version are notified on some gaming/news sites are you are looking for Programmers, Animators and Artists. Maybe there could find some new voluteers.

Well in the current state we can't release on Linux, on BSD, Mac display is broken on Catalina and recognized as a keylogger, and the game cannot be played on Ryzen CPUs. So even if all the features where given up upon many wouldn't  be able to play. 

In Linux, on BSD, Mac display is broken on Catalina and the game cannot be played on Ryzen CPUs...how many user are affected? I think there are not such many users. So you can release known issues. So these users should use previous version. So I think 0ad developer team makes more users happy if there are a new version released very soon with such limitations.

The current version are released in december 2018!

Edited by raymond

14 minutes ago, raymond said:

how many user are affected? I think there are not such many users.

That's more than 60% of our users combined. Also I did not mention that multiplayer is broken for everyone that want to use the multiplayer lobby.

18 minutes ago, raymond said:

The current version are released in december 2018!

We know and we are very sorry about it. Unfortunately being sorry doesn't give our team members more time, nor does it make the bugs go away...

14 hours ago, Stan` said:

I'm not really sure that would help... The goal of social media is to keep people interested. If we start claiming that, I think it will do the opposite ?

I'm pretty sure the purpose of social media is community engagement. Which doesn't occur from not posting. Again, not mean't as a criticism, merely an observation. If there is truth in the fact that potential players are being turned off 0AD by the perception that the project is dead, which could be arrived at due to there being no uploads to the official 0AD Youtube channel since the A23 trailer (i.e. no uploads since 2018), and infrequent social media posting generally (last post on FB was from 20th sept (only post in Sept) about European Bison) - then how could positive engagement not help? When has positive engagement with your community not helped any project ever? 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mysticjim said:

and infrequent social media posting generally

I take responsibility for that. I've been very inactive, both here on the forums and on social media the last couple of months because of other engagements and, personal reasons... In fact, I even owe you a PM response which I've neglected and apologize for. Expect more activity and engagement in the near future. 

But there's no reason for anyone to think that the project is dead. As the project develops, demands and expectations grow, and Alpha 23 and Alpha 24 have been very demanding on everyone involved in development. But a lot of work really does go on, a lot of work that's difficult to communicate to the community because it's too technical. But people are working on it, every day:

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/timeline?from=Sep+27%2C+2020&daysback=40&authors=&milestone=on&ticket=on&ticket_details=on&changeset=on&wiki=on&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=&update=Update#

30 minutes ago, Sundiata said:

But there's no reason for anyone to think that the project is dead. As the project develops, demands and expectations grow, and Alpha 23 and Alpha 24 have been very demanding on everyone involved in development. But a lot of work really does go on, a lot of work that's difficult to communicate to the community because it's too technical. But people are working on it, every day:

True, but a part of public relations, especially with a project of this kind, is education. People can be educated about how and why things work, and this engages them. Also, any post, no matter how technical, tells the fans or potential fans that progress continues.

• Like 3

Well, I've said it before and I say it again: it would be great to have monthly posts on the official site and elsewhere, even if they're only one or two sentences. The September to May development report was nice and all, but long texts are less likely to be read in full, and more important than summarizing everything that's been done, is to remind the public regularly that 0 A.D. is very much alive and active.

A24 is far from finished, but the upside is that the longer it takes, the more other things are done too; A24 already has more commits than A23, which was already significantly larger than any previous release.

1 minute ago, Stan` said:

Except most people don't know what “commits” and “autobuild” are. 

Does that matter? The important thing is people see there is activity.

2 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Also, I have no idea how many people actually look at the main page. @implodedok do we have any statistics about that ?

Not too many, I suppose, however, it is the official page of the game, and when people visit it, they see the start of the last three posts, in this case June 4, 2020; April 30, 2020; September 12, 2019; which doesn't look very promising.

Besides, the same message could be posted on various social media, of course.

• Like 2