Hello all! i've made this topic to show some cuirasses i've done once when i had proper internet connection but didn't had a chance to post it. This are textures (cuirasses) done procedurally with blender. So we can have them with normal and specular maps included in any possible color whitout too much effort.

Some are recreations of actual textures with specular, normal map. While others are new additions following a few references i could get. Everything was done using Blender and some meshes and procedural materials. Scratches could be included in case is needed but every texture ingame of cuirasses didn't had a single scratch so i guess not.

In the current state, i could upload every texture seen in the screenshots if its necessary or if it has a good visual quality to be introduced, and post here the alpha layers. 

Texture Preview:

Spoiler

Bronze Cuirass - 03.pngBronze Cuirass - 02.pngBronze Cuirass - 01.pngBronze Cuirass - 03.png

Ingame screenshots:

Spoiler

Cuirasses - 02.PNGCuirasses - Back.PNGCuirasses - 01.PNGimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

These are really awesome man. My only critique would be to maybe lessen some of the contrast of the diffuse map and allow the normal map to do the work for you. But that is an extremely mild critique, as I think they are already a nice improvement as-is.

I see pectorals, Roman and Samnite inspired. I'm wondering if you'd want to go ahead and redo the Samnite tunic textures to go with the awesome new pectorals while you're at it.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

My only critique would be to maybe lessen some of the contrast of the diffuse map and allow the normal map to do the work for you.

Forgot to mention im using GPU skinning wich makes them look okay with norm map and low contrast, but as soon as i disable the GPU or "Parallax" it looks plain from the distance whitout contrast.

(Also some contrast were hard to get because it was luck) For example the one i find perfect between contrast, norm map and color is Triarii Cuirass.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

I'm wondering if you'd want to go ahead and redo the Samnite tunic

Tried that with a "tunic" generator i was trying also: See the results: (wich looks more like silk than cloth but thats the material itself. )

Good thing is the mesh works as i've expected selecting alpha and using only mask's as shapes for texturing

Spoiler

TUNIC -03.pngTunic 3 test norm.pngTunic 3 tst.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexandermb said:

Forgot to mention im using GPU skinning wich makes them look okay with norm map and low contrast, but as soon as i disable the GPU or "Parallax" it looks plain from the distance whitout contrast.

Yeah, I guess I am privileged to have a great graphics card and always run GPU skinning. 

51 minutes ago, Alexandermb said:

Tried that with a "tunic" generator i was trying also: See the results: (wich looks more like silk than cloth but thats the material itself. )

Good thing is the mesh works as i've expected selecting alpha and using only mask's as shapes for texturing

Reveal hidden contents

TUNIC -03.pngTunic 3 test norm.pngTunic 3 tst.png

These look very nice. A good base for a standard tunic texture. Perhaps 2 or 3 more variants? 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, wackyserious said:

King Leonidas and his Spartiates.

Actually Σπαρτιάτης Spartiātēs ‘Spartan’ is a singular; it's declined like πολίτης politēs ‘citizen’, so the plural is Σπαρτιᾶται Spartiātai ‘Spartans’.

The female equivalent is Σπαρτιᾶτις Spartiātis ‘Spartan woman’, which is declined like παῖς pais ‘child’, so the plural is Σπαρτιάτιδες Spartiātides ‘Spartan women’.

For other things, the adjective of Σπάρτη Spartē ‘Sparta’ is Σπαρτιᾱτικός Spartiātikos ‘Spartan’ (plural -οί -oi).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Enrique said:

Awesome job @Alexandermb

If you want to keep pushing it forward, try bothering a dev to implement fake reflections (cubemaps) as an "add" layer to the metal shader and a slider or a way to set up its strength. Metals will look 200% better.

Thank you, Actually i've have mentioned that around 3 or 5 times already in the forum but not directly to a graphic Dev. It certanly would add the fancy fake reflection good enough to make any metal surface looks like actuall metal.

It would be so much easier for artists to create quality content, since with just a simple diffuse and a strong-ish normalmap would take care completely of metallic surfaces.

If you can have a mask or simply the AO map to take care of where reflections should be stronger and where they shouldn't, even better.

Furthermore, this feature was already tested and is written already since a lot of time and it was used in a mod! https://wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19650&p=304957 Imagine if this was already implemented, with all the updates to units and textures you guys did recently, if you would be able to take advantage of reflections while doing them....

Specially since you guys are aiming for such fidelity when zooming in... Seems that people on the forum forgets about this being a rts meant to be played with zoomed-out camera, but always the screenshots and designs of the units are focused on zoomed-in perspective, which can lead to harder unit recognition from afar.

In any case, with the amount of art content already in the game, the biggest improvements in art resides in shaders/engine, instead of manually having to redo and keep up-to-date units textures with the passing of the years...   SSAO, cubemaps, detailmaps, tiling... Then it would be really worth it to redo things taking advantage of new features.

(Great to see the recent additions of soft shadows for example)

This is still relevant I think:

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Enrique said:

Specially since you guys are aiming for such fidelity when zooming in... Seems that people on the forum forgets about this being a rts meant to be played with zoomed-out camera, but always the screenshots and designs of the units are focused on zoomed-in perspective, which can lead to harder unit recognition from afar.

Like the guidelines here?

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/ArtDesignDocument#a0A.D.Theme

• Above average color saturation (compared to the real world)
  • Contrasting - shadows and highlights within textures
  • Relatively realistic in terms of world/nature and history
  • Humans arent true to the real world in scale, but exaggerated to look like humans at greater distances. Men are burly and broad shouldered, and women are very… womanly.
  • Exaggerate the animations - like theatre but not to the point of silliness. We need to make sure players know what actions they are doing.
  • Exaggerate the traits of the Civs - Celts were colorful (so in the game they will be very colorful) - Greeks had fancy architecture (so many of their buildings will be fancier than in real life), etc...