Civ: Seleucids

wowgetoffyourcellphone

2 hours ago, hyperion said:

shot-2024-01-14_17-04-09.jpg.d2e89a5bf6daac560da84527cc333a05.jpg

What would I have to change to make it work as this doesn't look like smooth shading at all.

image.png

The top of the barrel is flat, but the rest is smooth shaded. I added some extra barrels, the leftmost without any smooth shading.

• Thanks 1

Hard to tell even with a crafted example but noticeably different than in blender. Much weaker effect which might come down to a much cheaper algorithm. Could some tweaking get us closer to blender without ramping up computation time?

33 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Hard to tell even with a crafted example but noticeably different than in blender.

That's just an impression. Because textures and lighting affect perception greatly.

34 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Much weaker effect which might come down to a much cheaper algorithm. Could some tweaking get us closer to blender without ramping up computation time?

That smoothing is free for our rendering. Because it mostly affects directions of normals. And flat shading instead might even increase the number of vertices to be able to have sharp edges (because smooth shading reuses vertices).

On 15/01/2024 at 11:25 AM, Stan` said:

This video explains it well https://youtu.be/C8YtdC8mxTU?t=976

Fantastic video!

Well, still I can't find the relevant portion in the code by skimming, all I found was the use of normal maps in the fragment shader (sure might have missed it tho). This would also give some level of perceived smoothness but is not what I have in mind for smooth shading, still the term flat shading isn't entirely appropriate either. Maybe normal map shading?

• 3 weeks later...

So I was some time afk, but I'm back on it now. It seems the visible edges that were bugging me are seams that were baked into the normal map. I tried around a lot and read all I could find about it but the way to go is to reduce the seams. So now I have a new UV layout and unwrapped the body with almost no seams. The negative side is that I have some stretching now. Also I added some geometry in the belly area, it's smoother in an area which is seen a lot by the player.

796229567_Screenshot2024-02-01182119.png.0a7172debce615a326cd643ef1b9a887.png

On 12/01/2024 at 7:06 PM, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

For the gold hair, I think the diffuse needs to be darker, similar to this (without the highlights):

like this? If the colours are good I will continue with texture painting some details, eyes, mouth, sandals etc. Don't mind the offset of the quivers, it was made just for clean baking

1144998241_Screenshot2024-02-01174937.thumb.png.5e9766b186afefadeffda31fd57a7f1b.png

On 13/01/2024 at 4:04 PM, Stan` said:

You need two UVs in order to be able to use AO. The fact it doesn't crash for you makes me think that either you got an error message, or that you might not have set the material quality to 10.

The fact it doesn't crash is because I don't use the AO ingame. I just bake it together with the colours on the diffuse. So I feed the AO that I baked into the nodes of the materials in blender. That's how I understood the instructions. I could also add a AO map in the actor if that's better.

sele_cult_statue_diffuse.thumb.png.6b3fd47d07692d4dcc07a33c20d06b79.png

also let me know what you think of the uv layout now:) @Stan` @wowgetoffyourcellphone

Normal map baking stays a problem though, even when baking with a cage. Only solution I see is editing by hand afterwards, similar how this dude did it:

Edited by nifa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nifa said:

like this? If the colours are good I will continue with texture painting some details, eyes, mouth, sandals etc. Don't mind the offset of the quivers, it was made just for clean baking

1144998241_Screenshot2024-02-01174937.thumb.png.5e9766b186afefadeffda31fd57a7f1b.png

Yes! The overall colors and the color of the hair looks great. :D Please continue with this direction.

I have no strong feeling about baking the AO into the diffuse. The Athena statue (in DE) does that and it looks fine. I think a proper separate AO map and UV map for the AO is ideal, but not 100% necessary.

• Like 1