African civs

m7600

I have the actor .xml files, the exported .dae files for the buildings, the ambient occlusion maps for each of them, and also actors for the units, the .json file etc. I can create a repo on my github, or I can upload them to an existing repository. But give me a few days, I can't do it immediately.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/12/2020 at 1:13 AM, m7600 said:

I've uploaded the .blend files for the Mali buildings over at opengameart.org.

Here is the link.

I'll probably make a github repo in a few days @Stan`, but you can get the files as a single .zip in that link that I posted. And of course, @balduin anyone else is also free to download them. I've given them a CC0 (Public Domain) license, so you can do whatever you want with them, with or without crediting me, I'm fine either way.

@Sundiata maybe you want those files as well.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone maybe you can use some of these buildings as placeholders for the Garamantes. Probably not the temples, but maybe the farmstead, houses, dock etc.

Pinging also @Ultimate Aurelian who provided invaluable research, comments, critiques and insight for these buildings.

Consider these files a Christmas present.

Cheers.

18 hours ago, balduin said:

@Stan` will you create a repository and the mod?

Is there a way to help you?

I know that feeling.

Repository created here it is barebones other commits will follow soon you can upload the files here https://github.com/0ADMods/African-civs

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nescio said:

You mean the readme?

yes

If I recall correctly, those civilizations are from the AD 1000–1500 timeframe, not AD 500–1000.

corrected thanks

Also, did you give @m7600 push access to the repository?

Not yet since I cannot find him. Can you find him, please? ( and send me link)

Alright, I have just committed everything relevant to the Malians. I downloaded the .zip in order to test it, and everything works fine in Alpha 23. However, if you want to test the Malians in Alpha 24, you will get a lot of error messages. This is due to the slightly different way in which actor files are written in A24. When I started to work on this mod, I had the syntax of A23 in mind. So, just use A23. All of the actor files will need to be updated to the new syntax / writing conventions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Alright, I have just committed everything relevant to the Malians. I downloaded the .zip in order to test it, and everything works fine in Alpha 23. However, if you want to test the Malians in Alpha 24, you will get a lot of error messages. This is due to the slightly different way in which actor files are written in A24. When I started to work on this mod, I had the syntax of A23 in mind. So, just use A23. All of the actor files will need to be updated to the new syntax / writing conventions.

That is great news, with errors maybe @Stan` and @Nescio can help. @m7600 what about the other civs from your other threads?

• Like 1

I've added @Sundiata and @Ultimate Aurelian to the credits.

@asterixI'll add those in a few days. They are not entirely finished though (for example, the Ethiopians need a better barracks, the Zimbabweans need some better texturing for the buildings, etc.)

About the errors, I could re-write the actor files so that they follow the style of A24, but that will take time, and I can't do it right now because of other priorities : (

Please make sure the mod.json file is correct.

I'd recommend keeping it as a A23 mod for now. The priority should be uploading all the assets, afterwards errors can be solved and improvements made. Once you're happy, make a release and perhaps upload it to mod.io to make it available via the in-game mod downloader.

Changing it to A24 can be done later.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Nescio said:

I'd recommend keeping it as a A23 mod for now.

Ok I corrected mod.json  file now as per recommendation.

29 minutes ago, Nescio said:

make a release and perhaps upload it to mod.io to make it available via the in-game mod downloader.

If @m7600 agrees I will like to do that later when he things it could be released.