African civs

m7600

Hi folks,

I have made four Medieval African factions: Ethiopians, Malians, Moroccans and Zimbabweans. Initially I was planning to release them with their own mod, but since some people have suggested to incorporate them to Millenium AD, I though that it would make sense to ask you if you are interested in that idea. If you are, great. If not, no problem.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Hi folks,

I have made four Medieval African factions: Ethiopians, Malians, Moroccans and Zimbabweans. Initially I was planning to release them with their own mod, but since some people have suggested to incorporate them to Millenium AD, I though that it would make sense to ask you if you are interested in that idea. If you are, great. If not, no problem.

I think they would make a great fit, but I'm not part of M A.D.

The goal of my "generator" is take resources from any list of mods, and to generate XML templates based on a smaller set of config files. This will give the ability to "generate" a mod with DE settings, but using new Resources, such as from African Empires. Eventually I could generate the actor files, given the textures, etc, provided there is enough information in the metadata(including file names/paths).

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

It's actually just before unless I misunderstand your meaning :)

This article treats Medieval to be a synonym with Middle Ages. Which it places 500-1500AD. I don't really know much about current scholarly trends, but this is generally the popular conception as well AFAIK.

My understanding is roughly:

500-1000AD Early Middle Ages
1000-1200AD High Middle Ages
1200-1500AD Late Middle Ages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages

Edited by myou5e

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

Hi folks,

From my point of view i am interested , I will have to ping others @Stan` @wackyserious @Alexandermb @Lion.Kanzen @Nescio, btw development version is here https://github.com/0ADMods/millenniumad

22 minutes ago, myou5e said:

Relevant. Three is also MAD part II

Unfortunately that guy is not around anymore so not sure when it will be finished including the files of his mod.

21 minutes ago, myou5e said:

This article treats Medieval to be a synonym with Middle Ages. Which it places 500-1500AD. I don't really know much about current scholarly trends, but this is generally the popular conception as well AFAIK.

My understanding is roughly:

500-1000AD Early Middle Ages
1000-1200AD High Middle Ages
1200-1500AD Late Middle Ages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages

In my high school they teach it similarly not in university though. (Speaking about czech schools) 

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

Hi folks,

1 minute ago, asterix said:

From my point of view i am interested , I will have to ping others @Stan` @wackyserious @Alexandermb @Lion.Kanzen @Nescio, btw development version is here https://github.com/0ADMods/millenniumad

Millennium A.D. is a mod that's situated a millennium after 0 A.D. “Empires Ascendant”, i.e. in the AD 500–1000 timeframe (instead of 500–1 BC). Fitting African additions are certainly welcome.

If I understand correctly, your four civilizations are from the 11th C AD onwards, i.e. postdating the mod; in that case they're unsuitable for Millennium A.D. However, you could bundle them and have them as the start for a new mod, covering e.g. 1000–1250 (crusades), 1250–1500, or 1500–1750 (Habsburgs, Ottomans, Safavids, Mughals).

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Since the civs I made don't fit the timeline for the first part of Millennium 0 AD, maybe they can be incorporated to the second part, as a future project. For now, perhaps the most appropriate thing to do might be to publish them with their own mod, or as individual civs on my github page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stan` said:

We can also hsot them with the other mods on github.com/0admods/ :)

That would be cool. Would you suggest that I make them separate, like the Chinese mod for example? Or would it be better to group them together into a single mod?

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

That would be cool. Would you suggest that I make them separate, like the Chinese mod for example? Or would it be better to group them together into a single mod?

4 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Up to you. I assume @Nescio will argue for the former :)

Not really. I'm strongly in favour of having one-civ-per-mod for those that fit into 0 A.D.'s timeframe, to allow people to mix and match them in game as they like, as well as make it easier to develop them independently, and, in theory, possibly include them into the public mod in the distant future, if the team decides to.

For other timeframes, I think mods with multiple civs are fine, provided they belong together. I'm not arguing to split Millennium A.D., nor do we need six individual Second World War mods (China, Germany, Japan, UK, USA, USSR).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@m7600 you did some really good work with the African civs this spring/summer. Would you be willing to work together with @Stan` to make a new mod repository in github.com/0admods/? Or do you want to create your own repository somewhere else?

I am looking forward to seeing some progress towards the African civs mod. Once the artwork is in the repository others can work together on the mod with you and help you to make the first version of the mod. The 0 A.D community is usually pretty nice and helpful.

• Like 1

I've uploaded the .blend files for the Mali buildings over at opengameart.org.

Here is the link.

I'll probably make a github repo in a few days @Stan`, but you can get the files as a single .zip in that link that I posted. And of course, @balduin anyone else is also free to download them. I've given them a CC0 (Public Domain) license, so you can do whatever you want with them, with or without crediting me, I'm fine either way.

@Sundiata maybe you want those files as well.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone maybe you can use some of these buildings as placeholders for the Garamantes. Probably not the temples, but maybe the farmstead, houses, dock etc.

Pinging also @Ultimate Aurelian who provided invaluable research, comments, critiques and insight for these buildings.

Consider these files a Christmas present.

Cheers.

• Thanks 4