• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spart hero Brasidas

Sele hero Antiochus the Righteous.

Sele hero Seleucus Victor.

Posted Images

Do you mind if I make some edit requests? :D  If you want to iterate them now or later it's up to you. Like if you want to get 1.0 of them all out first, then update them after, then that's okay. I just want to get these requests in now while I think of them. lol

5 hours ago, m7600 said:

Mace hero Philip.

mace_hero_philip_256x256.png

Can you give him a gnarled eye? :D

Spoiler

joan-francesc-oliveras-pallerols-philip-PhilipIIofMacedon-reconstruction.jpgVal-Kilmer-as-Philip-II-in-the-movie-Ale

On 8/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, m7600 said:

Maur hero Chanakya.

maur_hero_chanakya_256x256.png

Can you give him a ponytail? This is characteristic of men of his caste.

Spoiler

0378d1c635aaa29de5cca18ec591bc1c.jpgChanakya-quotes-2.jpg

On 8/3/2020 at 2:59 PM, m7600 said:

Maur hero Chandragupta.

maur_hero_chandragupta_256x256.png

Can you give him long hair in the back and earrings? Like this: 

Spoiler

510yLtVnlUL.jpgIY89J3J3hnwZoJbtpt57GT2m2ssm8UpEuO4d-xWEa4c89597598f7fc74e15f67dad101b64.jpegmain-qimg-7532a200384137d08a400d55036449

5 hours ago, m7600 said:

Mace hero Demetrius.

mace_hero_demetrius_256x256.png

Mace hero Craterus.

mace_hero_craterus_new_256x256.png

In the Delenda Est github these 2 dudes have been improved greatly, especially better helmets (y) :

Spoiler

63N2gdL.jpg

6 hours ago, m7600 said:

Mace hero Alexander.

mace_hero_alexander_256x256.png

Oof, Alexander's helmet needs remodeled badly. @Alexandermb

I like the the pose and age though. (y) Maybe tweak the makehuman angle and superimpose the helmet from this one? Art by @Lion.Kanzen

mace_hero_alexander.png.c9ae7a8d91e1d98a7ed4de8633d71e09.png

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Do you mind if I make some edit requests? :D  If you want to iterate them now or later it's up to you. Like if you want to get 1.0 of them all out first, then update them after, then that's okay. I just want to get these requests in now while I think of them. lol

No problem. Yeah, I wanna finnish a 1.0 version first, and then I'll edit what needs to be edited. But the 1.0 version will include all of the edits that have already been pointed out.

Lol at the quote by Chanakya BTW. The irony :lmao:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, m7600 said:

Nah, they suck. But it's the best I can do right now. But thanks anyways.

Nonetheless, you did what is needed to further the open-source gaming cause. You're most welcome.

2 hours ago, m7600 said:

BTW I just saw your sketches for the Roman helmets, apologies for the delay. They're pretty cool. Ever thought about doing digital sketches or 3d modelling?

That's actually my proposal for the remake of Leonidas for the main game, and it's a Corinthian helmet. Like the ones from the statues at Thermopolyae and the city stadium. My hope is that the final product would be based on them, since the Delenda Est actor and portrait appears to be a generic Spartan king from the 6th century.

Despite being with other classes as of today, I have currently no plans to take either one or both at the moment. I'm more on the traditional side, technology is still flawed to imitate the human handiwork. Thanks for your advice though.

Edited by Carltonus
  • Like 1
Just now, m7600 said:

Sure. Looks good to me.

Looks pretty cool.

Kush hero Amanirenas.

kush_hero_amanirenas_256x256.png

Not bad. Can she be heavier and the helmet sit a little lower on her head? :) Does MakeHuman have ethnic facial features settings? African/European/East Asian/ et al?

Also, some kind of decorative gorget around her throat would be good, like these:

Spoiler

51aWLXfh+dL.jpgkandakeamanirenas-e1572287745796.pngamanirenas_by_lordgood_dbp2cz8-fullview.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Phalanx said:

These all look great, but Floranius cracks me up

lol, indeed. And that's what makes me think these can be realistic and accurate. Without knowing anything about him, just his image here makes me imagine Florianus could either be some Emperor's doofus son who stumbled onto the throne, or a grizzled army veteran who rose through the ranks. 

12 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Does MakeHuman have ethnic facial features settings? African/European/East Asian/ et al?

Yes, it does. They are controlled by moving sliders around. I urge you once again to download that program and try it out : P
It's really worth it, trust me.

15 minutes ago, m7600 said:

Yes, it does. They are controlled by moving sliders around. I urge you once again to download that program and try it out : P
It's really worth it, trust me.

It's difficult to learn a new program at the moment since I have 50 other things with the mod I am working on. :) Being 1 guy, I have dozens of technologies to create, hero cards to make, balancing to do, lots of historical research (I read up on every hero as I'm creating their cards, essentially 'discovering' their design as I go, though some of them I am already well-verse on), so it is very awesome that we now have you to make nice portraits for the heroes. :D For sure, I'll download Make Human eventually. It looks pretty cool.

As far as Amanirenas goes, she should look pretty much middle Sudanese ( @Sundiata help me out here with references?) and have those facial features for that max awesomeness. I ask Sundiata for help, since like most countries Sudan has a lot of ethnic diversity and gradation and I wouldn't want to get it wrong. I'm looking at images of Sudanese women and I'm not sure what Amanirenas' face should look like. 

With Cleopatra, we are quite sure what she looked like. She was ethnic Greek. She likely wore makeup. Had a prominent nose (though that may just be artistic convention for rulers). She was attractive enough to lure very powerful men to her chamber and kingdom, but not a supermodel. She was on the younger side when she was seducing Caesar and Antony and never reached the age of 40. She was learned and followed Egyptian customs.

Amanirenas I imagine to be quite robust in stature. Not ugly for sure, but not a supermodel either. She can be depicted in middle age, as she had a grown son help her fight the Romans. She has 1 bad eye, so we can depict her with an eye patch or maybe with a milky white eye. Regal and powerful--iconography of Amanirenas shows her chopping off a bunch of people's heads. lol

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
19 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

It's difficult to learn a new program at the moment since I have 50 other things with the mod I am working on. :) 

I understand that, but allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. MakeHuman will make your modding much, much easier. It doesn't take any time to learn. Less than a day, at most. You'll be able to quickly draft what you want the portrait to look like. It is guaranteed to be a time saver.

I sound like a salesman now, but MakeHuman is free and open source : )

I'm just really enthusiastic about that program. The devs have done a fine, fine job with it.

22 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

it is very awesome that we now have you to make nice portraits for the heroes. :D 

Yeah but like I told @Stan` via PM, maybe I will die in a car crash or something, I dunno. 

Seriously, my wish would be that anyone is able to make these kinds of portraits. That way you don't have to depend on a particular person.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

( @Sundiata help me out here with references?)

Found a really nicely detailed relief block from Meroë depicting Queen Amanishakheto, one of Amanirenas' successors:

Queen Amanishakheto Kingdom of Kush Kushite Nubia Sudan Meroë Meroitic history relief carved stone face Africa.jpg

Some modern examples. Keep in mind that populations have move around since the Napato-Meroitic era. Most notably Arab influxes, even though Arab Sudanese are generally more of a local ancestry than Arab, there have been some population displacements towards the south and west

Northern type, modern Nubians from Lower Nubia (Southernmost Egypt) and Northernmost Sudan:

Modern Nubian women bfht.jpg

Nubian women.jpg

Central part, (Arabized Nubians) around Meroë. Note that they have the same scarifications on their cheeks as Amanishakheto in the relief I shared at the top of this post:

Shaigiya tribe Arabized Nubians Sudan copy.jpg

Southern Sudan, Sennar, (not South Sudan):

sudanesewomen2 dinder reserve southern sudan senar.jpg

The previous two images from Central and Southern Sudan are probably the best approximation of a Meroitic Queen like Amanirenas.

Also Sennar:

sabonabe-sennar-state-A2NTBM.jpg

Deep South (South Sudan), and West (Nuba areas):

South Sudanese Women.jpg

Eastern Type, Beja/Blemmye:

Beja women Sudan East.jpg

A lot more period references (copied from a PM discussion with someone else looking for Amanirenas refs):

Spoiler

Sadly, there are no intact depictions of Amanirenas herself. The only relief I know of which purportedly depicts Amanirenas from a victory shrine in Meroë only depicts her legs and feet, seated on a throne:

Kingdom of Kush Kushite relief in temple in royal city of Meroë depicting bound tied prisoners captives including Roman legionary soldier.jpg

And the Hamadab stele with a broken top, also only depicting the lower body (wearing a dress, centre):

Hamadab stela 45 rows of incised cursive meroitic inscription mentioning queen amanirenas king akinidad and even the conflict with rome.JPG

There are many depictions of her immediate successors, Amanitore and Amanishakheto though. They probably looked alike (possibly/probably related), so they're the best reference you could use. If you want to achieve accuracy, it's best not to stray too far from these references. I'd be wary of golden female armors... Sounds a little too much like Total War. She was probably commanding in full royal regalia, surrounded by elite guards (who might wear bronze scale armors). 

A chariot with rider (Egyptian style), while she wields a bow and arrow wouldn't be bad.

I'll just post some of the better references I have for you:

relief_amanishakheto_munich.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 14.21.10.png

Amanishakheto relief.jpg

Naqa Lion temple Natakamani Amanitore Kingdom of Kush Kushite Meroitic relief pylon.jpg

Amanitore.jpg

The kingdom of Kush kushite relief cut stone wall carving Sudan Richard Lepsius aethiopen aethiopien denkmaeler Naga Naqa pylon lion temple apedemak king natakamani queen amanitore executing prisoners captives front facade doorway entrance.jpg

The kingdom of Kush kushite relief cut stone wall carving Sudan Richard Lepsius aethiopen aethiopien denkmaeler begerauich begrawiya royal necropolis of Meroe pyr 15 queens amanirenas or amanitore and amanishakheto pylon bound prisoners execution C.j

The kingdom of Kush kushite relief cut stone wall carving Sudan Richard Lepsius aethiopen aethiopien denkmaeler begerauich begrawiya royal necropolis of Meroe pyr 15 queens amanirenas or amanitore and amanishakheto pylon bound prisoners execution D.j

Fig-5-Amanishakheto.jpg

Voyage a Meroe 7 naqa lion temple of apedemak reliefs procession of gods and goddesses king natakamani queen amanitore.jpg

Natakamani and Kantake (Queen) Amanitore saluting Apedemak.jpg

The kingdom of Kush kushite relief cut stone wall carving Sudan Richard Lepsius aethiopen aethiopien denkmaeler Naga Naqa lion temple apedemak king natakamani queen amanitore prince receiving blessings.jpg

The kingdom of Kush kushite relief cut stone wall carving Sudan Richard Lepsius aethiopen aethiopien denkmaeler begerauich begrawiya royal necropolis of Meroe queen amanishakheto ritual incense noblewomen prince.jpg

Queen Amanitore Kingdom of Kush Kushite relief.jpg

Queen Amanitore sandstone relief - detail ca. 1-25 AD. Nubian Kingdom of Meroë. from a temple in Wad Ban Naga Sudan..jpg

Stela of Queen Amanishakheto and the goddess Amesemi carved from Sandstone Amun temple Naqa.jpg

Head of a queen probably amanitore from gebel barkal.jpgnapata_queen_amanimalel_630bce_neues_museum.jpg

Kingdom of Kush Kushite Queens Amanishakheto.jpg

Some details on Meroitic period jewelry (a lot of it belonging to Amanishakheto):

Aegyptisches_Museum_Berlin_InvNr22877_20080313_Schulterkragen_Amanishakheto.jpgAmanishakheto bracelets.jpgCrown of Amanishakheto from her pyramid at Meroe, in the north necropolis.jpgKingdom of Kush Kushite gold bracelet armband Amanishakheto treasure.jpgMeroitic, Kentake Amanishakheto.jpgKingdom of Kush Kushite gold jewelry.jpgKingdom of Kush Kushite gold jewelry armbands bracelets.jpgKingdom of Kush Kushite gold from tumulus graves at el Kurru.jpgKingdom of Kush Kushite gold random Kushite jewelry.jpgMeroitic gold earings kush.jpgMeroitic kush gold bracelets3.jpgMeroitic kush gold necklace earing.jpgMeroitic gold bracelet in Berlin.jpgKingdom of Kush Kushite gold shieldrings.jpg

Here's some modern artwork depicting Amanirenas:

One of the best I've ever seen:

Kingdom of Kush Kushite ruler Queen Amanirenas Kandake Meroitic Meroë Sudanese pyramids Begrawiya Nubia History Africa Antiquity Royals art.jpg

21 Queen Amanirenas and her son Akinidad watch a Roman fort burn.jpgTemple of Mut Napata Jebel gebel Barkal B300.jpgamanirenas.jpg.084888e75522778fbf803a69d9372fcd.jpgAmanirenas.jpgQueen Amanirenas Kingdom of Kush Kushite monarch royal woman lady Sudan Africa History Antiquity art by Victor Rossi.jpg25d meroitic-nubian-warrior-holding-a-captured-tribal-warrior-in-front-of-the-queen-of-the-nubian-kingdom-of-meroc3ab-candance-amanitore.jpg

Also, some kind of decorative gorget around her throat would be good, like these:

Beautifully preserved (and restored?) examples belonging to Queen Amanishakheto:

eMuseumPlus-14.jpeg

Necklace of Amanishakheto Beg N 6 Kush Kushite Meroitic Period Meroe jewelry.jpeg

Napatan:

Collar-Napatan-Period-reign-of-Shebitka-850-W.jpg

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Sturm said:

Hey guys! Do all 0 ad mods use the same open license? Or at least do they use open licenses at all? I asking this because I found the avatar image of Kandake Amanirenas of Kush on the site below, and as far I could understand, its not a open licence image. https://www.msingiafrikamagazine.com/2019/10/afrikas-heroes-2/

Regards,

Sturm

That image was created for 0 A.D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can you give him long hair in the back and earrings? Like this: 

Long hair being loose like that are bad remodels, mostly pushed by Bollywood, etc.

It's more similar to modern Sikh hair knots. All of the hair is used to make the knot. In the ancient Indian examples, it seems there is a extraordinary amount of hair used.

1105070.jpg

Edited by lilstewie
  • Like 1